Carry yoga mat while running?

Options
I'm trying to figure out how to run to yoga practice and carry my mat at the same time. I've spent some time on Google - "running yoga bag," "running to yoga," "carry yoga mat running" and various other search terms returned no results.

There is a TON of info online about runners using yoga as cross-training and yoginis using running as conditioning. I can't be the only one who wants to run to class!

I'm thinking about sewing my own - two simple straps to hold the mat in a rolled position, connected to two straps that cross in front of my chest. Maybe I should try to orient the mat diagonally - shoulder to hip? I'm a little worried about chaffing and about it messing up my posture/gait.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You workout junkie!!

Google Matware Mat Sling. I think thats what you're thinking of!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Can you buy a separate mat and store it at your yoga studio? That's what I'd do! :D
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i don't know how comfy it would be to run carrying one unless you balance it somehow. it's not that it's heavy, it's that it leans to the side and is long. can you ask to leave your mat there, or rent one from them?
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I run with a hydration pack in the summer when I train for half marathons, when I hit 10 miles +. Much heavier than a yoga mat & it doesn't mess with my gait.

I'd make something like you are thinking to strap it to your back.

Happy running!!
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! I should have mentioned that my class is in a park (outside! awesome!), so I can't leave my mat there (boo).

I've taken the dilemma to my handy, DIY fiance who sketched some neat ideas. Will keep everyone posted!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Definitely let us know what you come up with! Maybe you can patent it and make a MILLION dollars!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Bungee cords :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Backpack? Then you can carry you water bottle too.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Lululemon just started selling one
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    my mat came with a carrying thing. I ordered it from Amazon maybe they have just the carring thing on there also.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    try etsy
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have an elastic shoulder strap for my yoga mat. I would just sling in across my chest so that the mat goes diagonally across my back. i think that might work. Do you currently drive to your yoga class? Why not drive to the park and run there before class?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This is what I have for mine. Not sure if you can run with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MPC5WY
  • CazMcCool
    CazMcCool Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi - I have just started running to my yoga class and have the same issue. It doesn't seem like anyone makes a suitable bag for running with a yoga mat.
    They sell these on Amazon: Gaiam Beau Mat Bag-Gray
    It is close, but it looks like you carry it over your shoulder. Maybe you could make your own by sewing straps onto a snug fitting backpack.
    Let me know if you find a solution.
    Best of luck with it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Pick up a gun sling from your local gun dealer. As you run, you can point your rolled-up mat at people and make "pew pew" sounds. :drinker:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Pick up a gun sling from your local gun dealer. As you run, you can point your rolled-up mat at people and make "pew pew" sounds. :drinker:
    This also doubles as zombie training. Add a bayonet to your yoga mat for more realistic training.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of knitting patterns for yoga mat carriers. Go to you local yarn store and see if someone will knit one for you. Or check on etsy.com. Someone there is no doubt selling them.