Fell off the horse

Piqueaboo
Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
Hey guys,

It's happened - again. I don't even know what the main cause is (although I have the suspicion that the rain for the past 6 weeks has something to do with me not wanting to leave the house to run & go to the gym). I know that getting back on track is as easy as, but for some reason I'm still not getting there... I always start out good in the morning and then get progressively worse. And I don't log on which usually helps me a lot. Do you have similar experiences and a 'fix'?

Thanks!

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Similar experiences, yes. A couple times recently, I made some bad choices that left me feeling really bad about myself, physically AND mentally. I don't know why I did it, and sometimes in the moment it felt good, and other times it was like my head was saying "No, no, no WHY are you doing this?" yet I didn't stop.

I'm in maintain and these moments have happened MORE since I've been in maintain. It was very very rare that anything like this ever happened when losing the weight. A couple poor choices, mindless multiple handful grabs from container of nuts, eating crackers and not counting or logging, etc. But lately, wow. It hasn't been good.

Do I have a fix? Unfortunately I do not.

When I had some slips I wouldn't log them. Some I had no idea how much I consumed, or I didn't want to know. Lately thought when I've slipped I have logged it. Real eye opener. It does motivate me to do really good through out the rest of the week, but then sometimes recently I have another slip moment. I don't know, not sure what is going to work to help this issue.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Here is my fix

*kicks your *kitten* with my hobnailed boots on*

:-P
  • Smuterella
    Oh, wow, *kitten* is not blocked.

I am so tempted to run around the forum posting "*kitten*" for no reason.

Sadly, I must work instead.
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Lately I have not been doing good and the worst thing is that I have not been logging all the stuff I put in my mouth. :( I start out good in the morning but as the day progresses I snack mindlessly. But no more!! I want this so bad. I want to look good. There are so many good clothes I want to fit into! I can't let all my efforts go to waste! We need better mind control. And we need support from all our MFP buddies who have been through this!
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Everyone slips from time to time mine was a 45lb gain in 16months (I'd lost 56lbs before this) but i'm back again and have lost 3lbs in the first week. My motivation (second time round) is my husband who has been diagnosed with COPD which is essentially terminal as it can never get better only worse but can be controlled to slow the disease.

But even with this motivation it still has to come from within me to push my will power to the max and motivate myself to do it. I think that is essentially the same for everyone. Try motivating yourself by giving yourself a treat after you've set yourself a reasonable target.

eg. to do a minimum of an hours exercise everyday for a week or aim to lose 2lbs a week for a month etc and reward your achievements. It all helps. :smile:

EDIT: treat as in a new cd or top not an unhealthy snack :sick:
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    This is me!! I have "platteaued" for the past several months but I know its not a platteau. Its just me being lazy and not working out and eating junk!! I start out with good intentions in the morning and when I get home from work I tell myself "one beer won't hurt". I'm done!! No exercise, nothing. ARRGGHH!! But I WILL do this to look hot and sexy for summer!
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 285 Member
    Oh, wow, *kitten* is not blocked.

I am so tempted to run around the forum posting "*kitten*" for no reason.

Sadly, I must work instead.

I :heart: U

You just made my bloody day! Hope I get kicked in the *kitten* for this!
  • Iwannaride
    Iwannaride Posts: 6
    I've been trying to loose weight for years, with varied results. Finally I'm loosing the right way...because this program keeps me accountable to myself! The first 8 lbs came off ok, then I started slipping, extra servings, not reporting, evening snacking. When I was stuck on weight loss, I went to the report section and analysed the nutrition, fitness and progress graphs. The answers were eye-opening, I was stuck because I cheated! The graphs showed it all. So I went back to my program and now the pounds are rolling off again. Instead of thinking "I can get away with this extra piece of toast" now I think " If I eat this extra treat I'll go do some extra exercise." Its all about accountability.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    I think part of my problem is using the "busy mom" as an excuse to not work out. Yeah, my kids' after school activities take over my evenings after work. It's at a point where we get home at 7-8pm then dinner by 9. By the time dishes are done it's almost 10 and I haven't sat down long enough to unwind let alone work out. By that time, I think it will be after 11 by the time I'm done working out and midnight before I'm showered and in bed, only to get up at 5:30 again the next morning. So I skip the workout and the day repeats itself over and over before I know I've missed 3-4 workouts in a row.

In addition to that, things aren't so great in my marriage right now and I've tried to spend more time with my husband, but his idea of spending time is laying in bed watching tv, so again I'm skipping my workout and using my failing marriage as an excuse. I'm beginning to wonder if it's best to be selfish and do my workouts daily for me and let my marriage heal or fail as it will without trying to get in more quality time.
  • Smuterella
    ^ Hmmm, perhaps part of the reason your marriage is failing is because your husband sits in bed and watches TV too much. Can he be encouraged to join you doing some exercise, or, instead of sitting about together, can you maybe designate a reular date night so that you don't feel guilty about following his pattern.

It sounds like it is early to give up on the relationship, but he needs to support you in this. Both the weight loss and the marriage mending.
  • Iwannaride
    No! Not mindless snacking! If you want to do mindless snacking the right way, figure out ahead of time what snacks are low cal, filling, and nutritious, and keep them accessible (and don't buy the bad snacks). My favorites are hard boiled eggs, cheese, dried apricots, and quacker chewy granola 90 cal bars.
  • Iwannaride
    Hey, housework and mowing lawn are listed on the exercise database, motivates me to clean my house!

Its taken several years, but my husband finally realizes that my method of will power is not buying the junk food to begin with. If he chooses to buy junk food, he leaves it in his vehicle. If my daughter bakes cookies, she hides them in her room (except for the one or two she allows me to have.) We loose weight the best when the people around us support us. Be a supportive person for your husband, but let him know in a loving way that the best way he could make you feel loved and happy is to support your efforts to live healthier. Marriage is a process where two people learn to support each other as time and circumstances changes each individual.

Best wishes on your weight loss efforts and marriage. :-)