Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Easy foods for busy people?

danapenguin
danapenguin Posts: 161
I spend alot of time and money in the drive thru, i need to change that so i can actually lose weight. what are some good, quick, easy, and cheap things to eat/make?!

Replies

• slp415
    slp415 Posts: 2
    I really love Smoothies for breakfast or a snack! Go to Costco and buy bulk of frozen fruits and spinach, throw em in the blender with some water/milk/juice, and blend away! voila! You can't taste the spinach but get the extra fiber and fruits! I also really like to do all of that but add a packet of instant oatmeal first (just add warm water 2nd, and then ice after you blend!) it's a little more filling
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    soup and wholegrain toast (just watch salt content)
    store bought salads and deli meat (low fat eg chicken or turkey)
    burrito wraps with sensible fillings (go easy on mince and/or cheese)
    stir fry (light on dressings though)
    homemade pizza (again go easy on the greasy)

Personally I always used to rely on 'quick and easy meals' and then clicked one day that with a little bit of forward planning and less tv watching, I actually had more time for cooking lol. good luck
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    I live off oatmeal for breakfast (with berried, flaxseed, and nuts) and sandwiches for lunch with an apple or yogurt. Just buy in bulk sand meat (watch sodium n fat) and it takes me 5 min the morn to make a sandwich for me and my hubby. Sometimes i even race the oatmeal cooking in the microwave LOL
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Take a frozen chicken breast, put it in tupperware with marinade in the morning, put it in the fridge, go about your day, bake or grill on a grill pan when you get back for dinner. Or do multiple chicken breasts, and you have something to pack up for lunch, too!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Preplan, precook and prepackage! Almost anything that is 'quick' is full of sodium so I cook stuff ahead, like a previous poster said about chicken breasts. You can make homemade soups and freeze them, roast a whole chicken and use it for salads, sandwiches, soup, etc.
    My 'quick' meal for lunch, and I even take this backpacking, is Healthy Life whole wheat bread (35 cals per slice) half an avocado, spicy mustard and roasted chicken. I toss in some pre-cut veggies and some fruit or pretzels and I'm good to go.

For dinner, one of my favs is pizza. I precook some pizza sauce, chop up some peppers and keep it all in small containers in the freezer. Buy some tortillas, spritz with Pam spray, spread on some sauce, lowfat mozzerella and chopped veggies. I love, love mushrooms, red, yellow and orange bell peppers and tomatoes on it. You could add some lean meat.

Salads are good too if you have pre-chopped veggies.

There is a recipe out there for refrigerated, overnight oatmeal you may want to try. I don't have it but everyone says it's good.

Trail mix or nuts, jerky and fruit are good to keep in your purse or car in case you are too busy to eat and you don't have access to 'healthy' fast food.

Fruit salad made with your fav melons, grapes, berries, pineapple. Pre-cut and ready for the week.

Oh and if you have to go the fast food route, get Fresco Crunchy tacos at Taco Bell, a 6 inch sandwich at Subway made with whole wheat bread, turkey and veggies. You could even get KFC but only buy a chicken breast and don't eat the skin. You still get some of the flavor without all the fat and sodium.

I hope this helps you some!
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    bump
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Some days I like to just have a toasted cinnamon rasin bagel with peanut butter
    Today I'm having pop tarts for lunch
    You can make extra chicken so that you can have chicken for lunch the next day
    hard boiled eggs with yogurt
    weight watchers and lean cusine when they are on sale are cheaper than going to Mcdonalds

I shop at publix and they have a lot of great bogo deals that are even better when I use coupons for the items
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    When you have a few hours sometime, you can cook double batches of a couple of healthy recipes at once (e.g., chili, soups, casseroles), then freeze them in meal-size portions. Then, in the morning, just take out whatever you want for dinner to thaw in fridge and at night heat it up, steam a fresh veggie or microwave a frozen one, and you've got an easy, healthy, low-crap dinner.
  • jkimmett
    jkimmett Posts: 46 Member
    Planning, planning, planning is what has worked for me. On the weekends I'll make a couple of casseroles or stir fry' and freeze them in individual servings and then I have lunch or dinner handy and its easy. Also buying a cooked chicken and having it on hand is easy to throw in a wraps, salads, etc.
    Good luck!