Red Lentil Recipes??

Options
becoming_a_new_me
becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
Hello All!

I bought some red lentils (dried - and I already soaked them) and want to cook them tonight. I have browsed the web and found some interesting recipes. I am curious though if anyone has any great red lentil recipes?

Replies

• Bubaboodala
    Options
    Wow, I have looked at your photos and think perhaps YOU should give me some recipes! You look great, anyway this is a soup, my mothers----
    Rinse lentils off put in pot with stock.
    Add finely chopped onion carrot celery garlic pepper salt, bring to boil then simmer slowly until lentils are soft, can put in a little good olive oil if wanted.---if calories allow slices of Italian type sausage.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I need recipes too! Bump.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    1 big cup of red lentils (orange, whatever color you want to call them)
    1 onion chopped
    1 big tomato chopped
    1 big potato chopped (or 3 small ones)
    1 celery stalk chopped
    A handful of baby carrots
    And whatever else vegetable you want to add (I add squash sometimes, Zuchinni sometimes, whatever you want)
    2 cans of chicken broth
    3 cans water (I eyeball this, just make sure all the vegetables and lentils are covered with liquid and then a little more than that (LOL)
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon cumin (you might want to add more. Just taste and see)
    Salt to taste
    1/2 tbs butter (optional)
    a handful of fresh chopped parsley

Place lentils, all vegetables, chicken broth and water in big pot and boil for 45 minutes until the vegetables are very soft. Take a stick blender and blend all the ingredients together to make it smooth. Add your salt, garlic, cumin and butter, stir until everything is stirred together. Add fresh parsley. Stir.

s223604922.jpg
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Yum! These look good! Anyone have any side dish recipes too? I found quite a few Indian and Mediterranian recipes that looked good...anyone have any tex-mex that are good? I'm in the mood for tex-mex I think. Either that or Indian, I can't make up my mind. I love curry, and there was one that looked good with curry and red pepper.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I use lentils in a few recipes; Chili, Sloppy Joes, Dahl, and Shepard Pie. I basically use them as a hamburger substitute.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've never soaked them. They break down really easily. They turn kind of orange looking. This is one of the simplest recipes you will ever find. It is outstanding. I love it.

1 box low sodium chicken broth
    1/4 chopped onion
    1/4 cup orzo or Acine de Pepi (tiny pasta)
    1 cup dried red lentils
    1 T. dried Tarragon
    2 t. dried Savory
    Pam

Pam in your paN- fry your onions and add a little water if it gets too dry. Cook them until translucent.

Add all items to a sooup pot. Bring to boil. Cover and cook for 40-45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

It has a simple wonderful taste you simply can't describe. You can make it vegetarian by using veggie broth.

oxoxox
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I received from one of my friends on this site.....I have not tried it yet, but from her diary, I believe she is a very good cook!!!

Clean Eating Lentil Soup

this is the one that I make but I double the brown rice and add more water and cook it longer then it says Hearty Lentil Soup
    serves 4

Ingredients:
    1 cup dried red lentils (I used French green lentils)
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, chopped (I used a sweet one)
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup brown rice (I increased this a bit--there's no way 1/4 would've even been visible)
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (we added our own at the table)

Directions:
    1. Rinse lentils and pick through to discard any debris or small stones; drain well.

2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes or until brown. Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add 4 cups water (I increased a little because of the extra rice), lentils, and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add salt, then stir and cook for another 30 minutes.

3. Stir in lemon juice before serving. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a week.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    easy dahl (child friendly)

250g red lentils
    1 chopped onion
    1 can of tomatoes crushed
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 and 1/2 cups of water
    I also add some vegies too, carrot, pumpkin, cauliflower, chopped small to food my kids

2 tablespoons of oil
    1 clove of crushed garlic
    120ml can of coconut milk or cream

combine the top section in a saucepan, bring to the boil. reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes with lid on, stirring occasionally.

or cook it all in the slow cooker for about 4 hours on low.

add bottom three ingredients. cook for 10 minutes more. blend with stick blender for 1 minute to make smooth

serve with rice and pappadams

i love it, if you like hot, add more chilli, but it is quite plain with that recipe, so much so that my kids lick their plates clean.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas! This is what I ended up doing:

Red Lentil "Smash"

1/2 cup chopped white onion
    2 four ounce chicken breasts
    1 cup julienned zuchinni
    1 cup julienned winter yellow squash
    4 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    1 Tbsp EVOO
    1 Tbsp each Mrs. Dash Meditteranian, garlic blend, and onion blend
    1 Tbsp powdered chinese mustard
    2 1/4 cup red lentils (soaked overnight)
    1 Cup Water

sauteed onions in evoo with the Mrs. Dash spices, powdered chinese mustard and 1/4 of the water. Added chicken, zuchinni, squash, lentils, and the rest of the water. Cooked thouroghly then added the tomato paste. Heated until simmering.

Made 5 one cup servings

179 cal, 20 carb, 18 protein, 4 fiber, 3 fat
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I cook lentils and mix them with taco seasoning (or chili powder & cumin) and use them as a filling in tacos or gyros.
  • aprilcarlson
    Options
    bump