Running - breathing - nose or mouth?!

Options
Hi all,

So i'm trying to sort out my breathing for running. Should i be inhaling AND exhaling through my mouth?! i keep reading conflicting things!

Or is it in through my mouth and out through my nose or in throught my nose and out through my mouth?! confused!!!

I've got that you need to breathe from your belly rather than chest and i will try and do that on tonight's run to see if that helps my stitch! xxx

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone can breathe through their nose at any "real" exertion, but maybe i'm just weird. I HAVE to breath through my mouth, both inhale and exhale.

IMO, a lot of running, especially early on, is about finding a rhythm. When I'm going well, my stride is in sync with my breathing, 2 strides per inhale, 2 per exhale.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I inhale through my nose, exhale through mouth. It's the only way I can control the breathing.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I do whatever keeps me from passing out! :-D
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you can do all your breathing through your nose you're not going fast enough!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked this question. I have been running more and I breath through my mouth but then my thoart gets so sore...what can I do to fix that?
  • Diana987456321
    Options
    Any way that suits you to be honest (I do it through my mouth)... but if you start getting a pinch on the side, inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth a few times, it will make it go away :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked this question. I have been running more and I breath through my mouth but then my thoart gets so sore...what can I do to fix that?
    Don't have your moth completely open, have your teeth together and lips apart, if you see what I mean! You'll find you breathe through both mouth and nose. Sip water when you need. Like everything else when you're new to running, you'll get used to it!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    mouth in. mouth out. Don't overthink it. Just run!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my mouth but when I am trying to control I do then through the nose and out the mouth. Do whatever works for you.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At first I am able to breathe in and out of my nose. But I am not concentrating on my speed, I'm concentrating on lengthening the time I'm jogging compared to the time I'm walking (I'm doing the C25K program). Once that is not enough air, I start exhaling through my mouth, breathing in through my nose. If I'm picking up speed and length of time I'm actually jogging, I find myself breathing through my mouth and exhaling through my mouth as well. But again, my focus is not speed. I'm an ex-smoker and am working up to becoming a "real" runner. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Breathe in and out through your nose, mouth, ears, and any other way that you can get the air in.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Always through my mouth! I get into a rhythm where my breathing is timed and it really helps my pace.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I breathe in and out through my mouth. I read a bunch of conflicting stuff on that too and tried to do it through my nose, but just couldn't do it. Someone told me I'm running "wrong" because I breathe through my mouth. Seriously?! I'm running, not getting injured and losing weight. I'll take "wrong" any day!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I do whatever keeps me from passing out! :-D

lol this!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Breathing is pretty much an automatic thing. Just make sure you breathe, I'm told it's sort of important.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Just run!

THIS! I never, ever think about how I'm breathing. I just run.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I inhale through my nose, exhale through mouth. It's the only way I can control the breathing.

I do this, too. Old habit from being a cross country runner in school.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I generally start breathing through my nose for the first 10 minutes or so, then I start breathing through my mouth. I've found that if I need to slow my heart rate down, if I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, that works.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I inhale through my nose and exhale out my mouth. I try to focus on my breath like you do in yoga, and it actually really helps me keep a steady pace and not get a stitch in my side or anything. I get all zen-like :)

Unless I'm doing intervals. There is no zen when I'm doing intervals. Just sweating and mouth breathing lol
  • blairh10
    blairh10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I was always a distance runner from the time I was knee high to a duck. I had many coaches over the years, every single one of them wanted me to breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. I just could never perfect it. I always breathe in using both my nose and mouth but, I breathe out using only my mouth. Everyone is a little different I feel like this way has given me the most effective intake and by using only my mouth for exhaling I can control how fast or slow I exhale, which has also been great for controling my pulse. I can pretty much meditate while running by breathing in a way I feel most comfortable. You will probably find a technique that works best for you.