Fitness Program Infomercials -RIGHT one for me?

Options
kluvit
kluvit Posts: 435 Member
I may be addicted to the P90X and Insanity infomercials. I am amazed by the results, and now that I'm very close to my goal weight but seemingly far from my goal body, it's time to do something different. I've heard that P90X requires about 1.5 hours per day, and I know I can't commit to more than about 45 minutes or so unless I can get my husband on board, too. Right now, we're mostly treadmill people. Any ideas?

Replies

• naswegan
    naswegan Posts: 9
    Options
    I have P90X DVDs at home, although I haven't put them to use in a while (not quite ready to get back into that yet haha). I'm pretty sure that, with the exception of the yoga DVD which is 1.5 hours, the rest were between 45-60 minutes long unless you do more than one DVD at a time. You mentioned that while you are near your goal weight you still perhaps don't have the "look" you want your body to have. I can tell you that when I was doing the DVDs (before I got pregnant and then lazy postpartum), they definitely provided results as far as tightening things up and toning the body. I had been leaner and stronger than I ever was previously, even when at the same numeric weight. The bonus for P90X is that you and your husband can do them together also- he just might want to use heavier weights. I cannot speak for the other fitness programs because I haven't tried them (though I definitely am with you on being obsessed with the commercials!), but P90X does work...and personally I found most of the DVDs to be fun as well as tough- but my main workouts are primarily elliptical/treadmill-based. Hope this helps!
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had the same feeling as you, before I took the plunge and started doing P90X...I had heard that the DVD's were really long. In actuality they are less than an hour...except for Yoga..that one is 1.5 hours....but instead of that one I use the "Stretch" video and it is less than an hour. There are some of the videos that run 58-59 minutes because they have a bonus section...you could skip the bonus part if you want to. Also on 3 days a week you are supposed to add the Ab Ripper dvd...but you could do that at another time of day...at night maybe.

I was hesitant to do P90X because of the time commitment, but I am soooo glad I did! It has been the most beneficial exercise program I have ever done. I am more toned than ever!!! If you order from Beach Body (instead of second hand) you have 60 or 90 days to return it (I can't remember how long) if you don't like it.
    good luck!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes, it is definitely time to tone (especially core, hips/thighs/buns as I'm curvy "skinny fat" 5'7" cw=131 with goal to get to and stay anywhere in the 120s. (currently between size 2 & 0 @ The Loft). I guess the 1.5 hours comes in on days where more than one video is prescribed, so we could definitely break those up by doing one in the morning and one in the evening.

The exercises in Insanity seemed less intimidating (except for the pushups) as many of them look similar to TaeBo (which I love). I love the old Tony Horton VHS (Great Abs Guaranteed, Thin Thighs Guaranteed, etc.). To confuse things even further, someone sent me a message recommending TurboFire.

Any ideas on how to identify the pros/cons of each to determine best fit for my goals (which are to tone without becoming a total fitness junkie and without drastically changing my "all things in moderation" approach to diet)?
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have also done Turbo Fire...it is very good...not as intense as Insanity. Turbo Fire programs range from 15 minutes to 55 minutes. After completing a full program (12 weeks) I used it as a supplement to P90X - on the cardio days.

Now I am using Insanity on cardio days. P90X cardio wasn't enough of a challenge for me and this certainly is!!!

From the numbers you gave, if you are a 0 / 2 it sounds like you don't need to lose weight, just maybe tone a bit????

I think you would be happy with any of these programs. I will send you the name of a Beach Body coach that also uses MFP, I'm sure he can help educate you further.