Need healthy alternatives please!

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey Guys..

I'm generally pretty healthy, I used to eat really cleanly but I've found myself slipping a bit recently, I've been worrying less about calories and macro's and more on the goals I've set myself. This has meant I've slipped into a couple of processed foods that I wouldn't normally eat, purely out of convenience than anything. Recently I've had no spare time at night compared to normal meaning I've not really wanted to cook properly. I'll be getting some free time back next week and my training begins again so I need some alternatives!

one MAJOR thing I've been eating badly is packet mixes like fajita mixes...I love chicken and I could eat it all day and night, great for me when I need the protein for my training but not so great when you use an entire pack and it's got like 3000mg sodium in it. It's all disgustingly processed as well, is there any other way I can quickly cook my chicken that's less processed but still tasty? (I love the mexican feel of the chicken if you use fajita mix)

Another is my sauces. I can't eat things dry and like I said I love my chicken so if I don't have something with flavour on the chicken I end up using sauces, which we all know have absolutely loads of sugar in them, like I'm a MASSIVE BBQ Sauce fan but the sugar in it is immense..I also love sweet chilli and mayo which are all bad things, healthy alternatives that I won't hate?

I need more veggies too but they all seem to be too bitter for me when I try and eat them, what can I cook them with to make them not too bad? I Really want to add Kale to stuff but I just can't stand it.

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Try this for your fajitas substitute:

Mix together in a bowl (do it in a tupperware-type bowl so you can make a bunch at once and save it in the pantry):
    Cumin, Chili Powder, and Black pepper. No measurements were given to me for this, but I usually do about 2 parts cumin to one part each of chili and pepper - feel free to adjust to taste. Close up the bowl and shake it well.

Heat up some coconut oil in a pan (or olive oil, whatever), sprinkle a good amount of the seasoning mix in the pan, and toss in some chicken breasts. (Note: If your chicken breasts are really thick, it helps to pound them to an even thickness with a meat tenderizer first.) Add more seasoning mix on top of the chicken, and blacken/sear the chicken on the first side before flipping to do the same on the other side.

Remove the chicken and add any peppers/onions/other veggies if you want to cook those up as well - nice to do with the leftover seasoning/oil in the pan.

Slice the chicken into strips, add the veggies, and you're done.

Super tasty, and not a bit of salt. :)
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    Oh, as for the sauces alternative, maybe hunt for some sort of healthy salad dressing? I know I usually try to eat my chicken without a sauce, but then end up dipping it into the leftover salad dressing on my plate, heh.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Do you have a George Foreman or another indoor grill? If not, get one. I like to buy the Tyson frozen chicken breasts because I can take out one at a time and throw it on the grill, right from the freezer. Grill it up. Instead of BBQ, make a salad dressing. Red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dill, and a little olive oil makes a good all-purpose dressing that's good for salads or on chicken or just about anything else you'd like to eat. Or use mustard or sour cream, something of that nature. You could mix up some taco seasoning (TONS of easy recipes online that you can make which are lower sodium than the pre-packaged mixes) with some sour cream. Equal parts salsa and cream cheese makes a good dip, and is also good on chicken.

Try different veggies. If you don't like kale, don't eat kale. Go to the produce section and buy one new vegetable. Last one I bought was parsnips. I didn't like them the first time I made them, but I tried again and roasted them with cinnamon, ginger, a little garlic, and some salt, and they were so good. Sweet and fresh. So whatever you buy, try preparing it in several different ways before you give up.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    sometimes I make up a version of aoli from Greek yoghurt, crushed garlic, and lemon juice. Or replace the lemon juice with Dijon mustard. It's nice on chicken--- creamy.
    If you boil some water then let it simmer with some ginger root in it, then drop in the chicken breasts put the lid on and turn it off, it will cook itself and be juicy and succulent..it's poaching the chicken. Check it but making a slice and if the juices are clear it's done. You don't want to over do it!
    Also by baking chicken thigh meat with a sprinkle of onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper they are simple and tasty.
    Also soy and Woster make a nice combo for stirfy too, especially with Chinese 5 spice powder.

With your veggies, add a generous pat of (raw if you can find it) salted butter to everything- yumo!
    I find sautéing veggies in sesame oil and chilli flakes makes them delicious.

For the Mexican taste- it's really just tomato, capsicum, onion, garlic, chilli powder make into a sauce then pour over the chicken breast...then add avocado that's been mashed with lime juice,

Did you know you can make a nice dressing with a Chinese bbq flavour for pork by mixing vinegar and tomato sauce?
    You will have to try to cut our the sweet chilli as it's just so sugary, you'll always crave more. Tomato sauce has a lot of sugar anyway.
    I have some good sauce and dressing recipes somewhere, I'll add them ad let you know when and where they are!
    I hope this helps you my hungry friend!
  • slay0r
    Options
    Om nom nom nom, these are making my hungry now, thank you and keep em coming haha!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I assume you have a freezer. When you do have some time, like a day off, make up the stuff you want, like sauces, chicken dishes, etc, and freeze them for a fast reheat on those days when you don't have the time to cook from scratch. You can make an entire week's worth of food in a couple of hours and then ten or fifteen minutes to reheat and you're good to go.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    A few things -

invest in spices...I have a ton and it can really change the flavor and add just the right kick...my go to all purpose spice blend is one I get from Trader Joes - 21 seasonings - a mix of all different - great to throw on meats, eggs, veggies, etc...

I love my Franks Red Hot Sauce - I will chop up chicken and let it sit in some franks red hot sauce to soak it up and then pan fry it up (I also sprinkle on a Buffalo Rub that I got from Pampered Chef). Makes up Buffalo chicken without added calories and other junk...I will eat it straight, throw it on a salad or chop up some avocado, tomato and bacon and use boston lettuce as wraps and make myself some Buffalo Chicken BLAT's

Mayo - I actually make my own mayo using farm egg, lemon, avocado and olive oil - so freakin good....I will create a spiced mayo for certain things like salmon cakes (throw in some tarragon, ginger and a touch of season salt - OMG)

Veggies - ROAST THEM - I swear you do this you won't want them any other way... I will chop up broccili, cauliflower, brussle sprouts, toss them in some olive oil and put them in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes...I do it to the point that the broccili and the sprouts almost are burned...they get brown and crunchy and almost have a carmelization to them...so freakin good... Kale can't help you there - I've tried and tried to like it but just gave up
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    Oh - another chicken option, if you have a crockpot handy: Put a whole frozen chicken into the crockpot and dump some rosemary or other seasonings onto it. Cover it and put it on low all day (8 hrs or so) - as the chicken defrosts and begins to cook, it releases its own moisture, so you don't need to add water at the beginning.

Sounds crazy, I know, but you'll come home to a fully cooked, juicy bird that you can rip apart for multiple meals. :)
  • missywill1
    missywill1 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks, this is a great idea!
  • messe_jesse
    messe_jesse Posts: 16
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. She has some amazing recipes with all the nutritional info.
  • slay0r
    Options
    I can have like 500g of meat in one meal so your several meals in a crockpot is actually one, I'm a machine when it comes to food! :D
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    check my blog for some yummy veggie recipes. marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com

I used to use emeril's original essence like it was going out of style -- LOVE that stuff, but it's ridiculously high in sodium too..... I just started getting salt free blends. and using straight spices.... I use a lot of cumin, curry powder, red pepper.... LOVE a lot of the mrs dash blends (They're salt free) and perfect pinch (salt free) versions are good too.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Penzey's Spices has spice mixes (many that are salt free) that are AMAZING to add to meats and things when you're cooking. They give a ton of flavor and don't add significantly to your sodium levels because you don't need to use much of them to get good flavor.

I recommend their blends called Arizona Dreamin, BBQ 3000 (any of them BBQ seasonings), Mural of Flavor, Forward! -- actually, I haven't found one that I didn't like and couldn't use on something to make a delicious meal.

They have stores in the midwest but they are also online -- check them out!

Stef
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Veggies like kale are incredibly good for us but the texture can be nasty for some of us who grew up on canned peas and frozen mixed vegetables. The best way I've had it was steamed with sliced carrots and tossed with balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar can help a lot of veggies and could even flavour meat I suppose. Thanks to everyone here for the yummy tips. I feel like cooking now!
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    this is the best Kale salad you will ever eat I swear I'm not usally a fan of Kale but I could eats this with every meal.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/11/kale-and-brussels-sprout-salad
    Ingredients

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon minced shallot
    1 small garlic clove, finely grated
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
    12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
    1 cup finely grated Pecorino

Preparation

Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
    Measure 1/2 cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp. oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
    Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
    Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/11/kale-and-brussels-sprout-salad#ixzz1v8YmxRwT
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ^^ I'll be trying this drewbird- thanks ! (and I already like kale)
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    Try this for your fajitas substitute:

Mix together in a bowl (do it in a tupperware-type bowl so you can make a bunch at once and save it in the pantry):
    Cumin, Chili Powder, and Black pepper. No measurements were given to me for this, but I usually do about 2 parts cumin to one part each of chili and pepper - feel free to adjust to taste. Close up the bowl and shake it well.

Heat up some coconut oil in a pan (or olive oil, whatever), sprinkle a good amount of the seasoning mix in the pan, and toss in some chicken breasts. (Note: If your chicken breasts are really thick, it helps to pound them to an even thickness with a meat tenderizer first.) Add more seasoning mix on top of the chicken, and blacken/sear the chicken on the first side before flipping to do the same on the other side.

Remove the chicken and add any peppers/onions/other veggies if you want to cook those up as well - nice to do with the leftover seasoning/oil in the pan.

Slice the chicken into strips, add the veggies, and you're done.

Super tasty, and not a bit of salt. :)

that sounds soo good but if you don't have a meat tenderizer.. A rolling pin work great as well.. or put a piece of parchment paper on top and use hands :D Great way to work out stress lol
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    As I prefer to make my own....staples in the kitchen:

Sea salt
    Pepper
    Chili Pepper
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Cinnamon
    Garlic Salt
    Rosemary
    Cayenne Pepper
    Basil

Experiment...best way to become an awesome cook!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Veggies like kale are incredibly good for us but the texture can be nasty for some of us who grew up on canned peas and frozen mixed vegetables. The best way I've had it was steamed with sliced carrots and tossed with balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar can help a lot of veggies and could even flavour meat I suppose. Thanks to everyone here for the yummy tips. I feel like cooking now!

Ok, so holy crap, and I totally do not mean this in a sarcastic way, so THAT'S why I've always hated the texture of vegetables! I literally never had a fresh vegetable for the first several years of my life. Always from a can. I rarely had fresh fruit. I never even thought about that! :laugh: That's crazy! So glad I'm getting over that hurdle now though. I love me some salad. :) Also why I tend to crave sugary things when I'm thirsty is because I had nothing but Kool-Aid to drink until I was like 13. :laugh: