Do you eat all your calories for the day?

Options
reggie2run
reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
This may have been addressed before, but....

Most times I have about 300-500 calories remaining at the end of each day.
My total calorie allotment comes from the 1200 MFP gives me and the daily exercises I do (calorie credits, if you will), which when added together lands me at between 1800 and 2000 calories per day that I can use.
I am of the mind that having a remaining balance left over at the end of the day is a good thing as it helps you lose weight. 500 calories each day x 7 days = one pound lost per week.
But I have been reading various posts that seem to say I should be eating up to (but not over) the daily calorie allotment i receive (i.e 1800-2000 calories per day). I must have misread. Won't that just help you maintain and not lose??

Can any one clear this up for me?

Thanks.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I do, mostly. My thought is this: try and NET at least your BMR (which is probably more than 1200) on days you exercise. Many will tell you to just go ahead and eat them all; many will tell you to just eat 1200/day and not eat any. Personally, I eat most of them back... some days I go over. But then I eat a LOT... I came to MFP from Weight Watchers and now it seems the weight is literally melting off while I pack away over 2000 daily. But that's me.

Have you tried consistently eating all your exercise calories? What is your goal set to? 1lb/week? 2lbs/week?
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back mine unless there is a REALLY big deficit. Am I wrong? I need to know as well....I didn't want to start a topic b/c it seems the "know-it-alls" on here point and laugh, or post stupid captions up to make fun of us who are new or misinformed. (Now I've opened up the floodgates for captions, I know, I know)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm always under
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    MFP has already built the deficit into the 1200 calories they gave you and the exercise you do is just increasing that. I eat back most (if not all, some days) of the exercise calories I get (which I track with a HRM for accuracy) and net my BMR daily. I lose 1-2lbs a week consistently.
  • jodycoady
    Options
    MFP has already built the deficit into the 1200 calories they gave you and the exercise you do is just increasing that. I eat back most (if not all, some days) of the exercise calories I get (which I track with a HRM for accuracy) and net my BMR daily. I lose 1-2lbs a week consistently.

I'm so stupid, I don't know how to do that.
  • ipsamet
    Options

You don't know how to do what?
  • jodycoady
    Options
    eek, I'm trying to edit
  • jodycoady
    Options

You don't know how to do what?

Calculate....I'm at 1380 a day, 35, f, 138 lbs 5 4"...3 times a week workout...I dunno all that deficit stuff...told ya I'm too stoooopid.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that exercise calories should be both realistic and eaten back. If you're truly burning 1000 cals in exercise a day and not eating those back, you'll be hospitalized for exhaustion at some point. You cannot make your body run on empty day after day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I honestly am not hungry enough on the days I exercise to eat all the calories I get. Even when I burn 700 calories in a day, I usually don't eat more than 1,500 (and sometimes not even that) unless I go out.

Some people make a point of it and do really well with it. I say eat if you're hungry, though.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You don't need to calculate anything -- MFP has already done it for you. When you signed up you said if your goal was to loose 1 lb per week or 1.5 or whatever. The calories that MFP is telling you that you have for the day take that into consideration.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you enter your exercise in, MFP should help you calculate and "tell" you how many calories you have left for the day. I'm usually under my 1200 cal/day allotment as well. However, once I start exercising more regularly, I'll probably eat back most of my exercise calories...cuz I get real surly when I'm hungry! haha
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    With my exercise I usually finish off to get 1500cals per day, but I never eat them all.
  • hsk71
    hsk71 Posts: 19
    Options
    You're not stupid! We've all got to learn how to use the system - nobody comes on knowing how it all works!

From what I understand, it's all calculated and based on how much you want to lose per week (when you first entered your goals). But you also need to consume enough based on your BMR (see tools) to ensure that your body doesn't go into "starvation" mode and start hanging onto fat.

That's just my two cents worth .. use it, don't use it! :)
  • debgcook
    debgcook Posts: 64
    Options
    I eat all the calorie for the day except for my workout calorie. Unless I workout 3 times in a day then I might have something small. If you are given 1200 for the day, you eat that for they day. I wear an HRM and if I am really hungy I try to go for fruit or nuts that is all.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It's also going to depend on how you calculate your calories burned. If you are relying on MFP estimates, they are notoriously higher than the actual amount burned. If you were eating all those back, then you might actually end up overeating because it's off.
    If you are using a heart rate monitor, that's more accurate and I would likely eat at least some of those back.

It also depends on what your total calorie goal is. If you aim for 1200 calories a day and then burn 600, you should probably eat most of that back so your body has fuel to live.

I personally don't in theory eat my exercise calories back per se, BUT I eat 1800 - 2000 calories a day every day and then create a deficit with my exercise.

Hope that helps.
  • ipsamet
    Options
    Calculate....I'm at 1380 a day, 35, f, 138 lbs 5 4"...I dunno all that deficit stuff...told ya I'm too stoooopid.

Nah, you're not! I just wasn't sure which part you were talking about :) There's nothing to figure out, really. If that's what MFP gave you, I would aim to net that every day. When you go to your home page, on your daily summary all the way on the right it says how many you've net. So after you've entered your exercise calories, you might need to eat more to net more calories. I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor to get better accuracy on the calories you're burning if you can afford it.

Sorry if that was an over explanation, I was just trying to be clear! haha
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    When i first started mfp i was never touching my excercise calories and i was eating 100 below of the calories given...I kept on hitting alot of walls and never losing weight... Then i was told to eat ALL of my calories and HALF of my excercise calories back and WOW!! HUGE difference with my body.. The weight is comming off now and i feel SO much better!! The body needs food to keep going!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat a set amount each day, go with eating 15 - 20% less than your TDEE (without going below your BMR). That way, you already know how much you eat, and your high net calorie days will be offset with low net calorie days (calorie zigzagging could be a good thing).
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    For my two cents, you need to eat back your exercise credit calories at least to the point at which you net your BMR. MFP calculates the goal calories to include a deficit of no more than 1000 kcal/day, so if you don't eat those exercise calories, you are going to be over the built-in deficit, thus not eating enough.
    It's not that you will drop dead of starvation next week if you do not eat the exercise calories. But it's healthier to lose the weight and get in shape more-or-less gradually, as opposed to a "crash diet" to lose an arbitrary number of pounds by an arbitrary date in the future. Your body simply doesn't work that way. Besides, if you take it off more gradually, you are much more likely to keep it off because you will know how much you can eat and how much you need to exercise to control your weight. You are learning how to live with food without having food control you.
    So, fuel your body with enough calories to keep the furnace lit and it will pay you back by burning that excess fat at a steady level.
    You want to net your BMR, at least. That will give you a 20% calorie deficit if you are sedentary, and a 75% daily calorie deficit if you are "very active" (landscaper, construction worker, that sort of thing).
    The thing to remember is that this is not a race. Take your time. Let your body adapt to a new lifestyle; one that is sustainable for the long term. If all you allow yourself is say, 1000 calories a day, there is no way you will have the energy to work out, or in time, even get out of bed (unless you already weigh 90 pounds.) You simply need more fuel than that to get by every day. Furthermore, if your body cannot obtain the fuel it needs from what you eat and accessible fat stores, it will start taking lean muscle mass for fuel. You do not want to burn the furniture to heat the house. And, of course, no one enjoys going through life feeling deprived, hungry, crabby and generally miserable. You will likely turn to food for comfort at some point, and you can spell that "f-a-i-l-u-r-e". Don't let that happen.
    Good luck!