Monthly Gift-Ladies

Options
My monthly gift will be coming in a few days, I call her Aunt Flo. I always bloat up during this time. I crave all kinds of things and overindulge in Ghiradelli milk chocolate with carmel filling. How can I avoid this bloat and overeating because I am craving something. Any other time of the month I can handle my cravings, but it gets out of control with Aunt Flo. I don't want this week to set me back because I am doing really really awesome on losing weight!

Suggestions of food, exercises, etc are greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fight it too hard, or you'll just end up wanting to punch someone in the face. But if you need something sweet, get some low cal / low fat equivalents and indulge in moderation? I like these little Weight Watchers frozen brownie things - they have a chocolate and caramel crunch one which is really tasty, lasts a while and comes in at 160 calories and 3% fat or thereabouts (I forget).

Can completely sympathise!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself even if it is something small and stay off the scale. It will screw with your head and make you think you actually gained that weight.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    stay off the scale.

Forgot about this. Seconded - do not weigh yourself!
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals differently during this time to work into your calorie count.....include chocolate if that is what you need or a carb or whatever it is....if you plan it, it works into your plan and you will be fine.....it is a hard time of the month but planning helps.....
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bump for later....
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    Thank you girls! :)
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I find 8 regular old m & m's will get me through the day, and only have 32 calories and 2 grams fat.
  • jojomia
    jojomia Posts: 18
    Options
    I just try to take it in stride and look forward to the loss I will probably have the week after the TOM. As long as you are moving the right direction in the long run, don't let one week a month discourage you.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I give into my cravings a little otherwise I go crazy, but I definitely advise you to stay away from the scale. I usually gain anywhere from 4 to 5 lbs during TOM.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Have good alternatives on hand for your cravings....fro yo instead of ice cream, a SMALL serving of chocolate, etc. Eating over a little is okay since your body burns more calories to get rid of the dead cells - that's why you're hungrier!
  • EbAbYgONhArD2013
    Options
    Treat yourself but make sure you use portion control. I do not get on the scale until a couple days after my visit from TOM is over b/c the scale will screw with you and discourage you during this time hope this helps :)
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    I go through the same thing.. I HATE IT

if your going to satisfy your craving(s), go extra hard at gym.
  • bga008
    bga008 Posts: 90
    Options
    I don't always need chocolate but, If I do I eat something it is a "mini" piece.

But, typically I will eat a package of fruit snacks and that will cure my sweet tooth!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You know what is happening - why not allow for that chocolate? Just plan for it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes...pre-log the chocolate now!
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    I always go a little crazy during "Shark Week". I mostly crave spicy foods and sweets. I allow myself to have a little bit of whatever I want and exercise and drink more water to compensate. I've read a few articles over the years that claim that light exercise such as walking can help alleviate cramps during TOM, it seems to work for me.

Have a little of whatever it is you need to take the edge off, but try to plan for it. I would also avoid the scale and measuring tape until Aunt Flo has gone for a few days.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Interesting all the comments about giving in to the chocolate craving. My ob/gyn always told me that you absolutely want to avoid chocolate during that time, as it increases the cramps and headaches.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Mini milks ... not sure if these are just a UK thing, but they come in packs of 12, and are 30 calories each, thus even if you ate the whole box (they are like ice cream lollies made with milk), you still only get about 360 calories. They come in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavour. Sorbet is another option, you can get tubs that are about 300 calories or less for a while 500ml tub. It is true, these things are full of sugar, and there are much healthier options, but there are also far worse options, and if the monster is impossible to get a grip on, I would take those 300 odd calories over 1500 of chocolate anyday.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    Are you serious? I have never heard about chocolate giving you headaches and cramps! Yikes! Thanks for the info!
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    I've heard that caffeine can aggravate cramps and headaches during TOM. So I suppose for some women, the caffeine in chocolate can make cramps worse. I think it depends on your caffeine tolerance, though, because I've never noticed a difference.