Ways to shrink thigh muscles ...

Options
Tzippy7
Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
Is this possible? They are huge. really not ok. All my pants can barely fit over them and are too big for the rest of me.

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eat 500 calories per day and sit on the couch. They will atrophy before long.

Seriously.... just lose the fat on top and they will look much slimmer. Why would you want to lose muscle??
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    there is really not much fat on them. they feel like rocks.
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Photo please.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    there's no way the muscles are actually that big to make them not look good.

losing bodyfat will change the size.
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    While the rest of my body has gone down in measurements my thighs have increased. If no one else has experienced this than dont worry about it but if you have and you know how to workout without bulking them up than please let me know.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    like everyone else has said - lose the fat. hit the cardio!
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    Ok, ill just keep doing what i have been doing lol. I have decreased my bf % from 29 to 25 and my thighs didnt get smaller, thats why I was asking.
  • reeseph0enix
    reeseph0enix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I had this same problem, as soon as I do any weights that focuses on thighs or squats and lunges and stuff, my thighs are the first thing to bulk up, and at first I was really worried but I talked to my PT and she said to keep doing weights, but to focus on other muscles in the body and avoid lunges and squats, and so increase the cardio to melt away the fat sorrounding the muscles to make them look more lean.
    Do you have PT? I would talk to them to get some exercises that will do what you want.
    Good luck!
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    Hi there,
    I had this same problem, as soon as I do any weights that focuses on thighs or squats and lunges and stuff, my thighs are the first thing to bulk up, and at first I was really worried but I talked to my PT and she said to keep doing weights, but to focus on other muscles in the body and avoid lunges and squats, and so increase the cardio to melt away the fat sorrounding the muscles to make them look more lean.
    Do you have PT? I would talk to them to get some exercises that will do what you want.
    Good luck!

Thanks! I dont have a PT and I have been doing lots of lunges and squats trying to target my gluts. Maybe they bulked up my thighs by mistake. What kind of cardio? I alternate between 4-5 mile runs and sprints/intervals.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Two words: Bootcut Jeans

This is why body builders need to get their jeans/pants custom tailored.

I have lost 10 pant sizes, but my thighs have not changed size/inches. The fat has gone down and my quads have gone up. I have just learned to live with the fact that I will forever wear bootcut or flair pants. I prefer the muscles over tight pants.

P.S. my arms are in the same situation. I wear a lot of tank tops because my shoulders and biceps don't feel comfortable in shirts with sleeves.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Firstly, you can't spot reduce... So to say you lost inches everywhere else but your legs/thighs, does not mean you *won't* lose inches there.

My thighs are rock hard also, heck even at my heaviest, my thighs were rock hard, but there is still a layer of fat above the muscle. I have started losing inches everywhere else first and now my legs are slowly starting to lose also.

You just have to be patient. Keep eating healthy and stay active and your legs will shrink.
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    Two words: Bootcut Jeans

This is why body builders need to get their jeans/pants custom tailored.

I have lost 10 pant sizes, but my thighs have not changed size/inches. The fat has gone down and my quads have gone up. I have just learned to live with the fact that I will forever wear bootcut or flair pants. I prefer the muscles over tight pants.

P.S. my arms are in the same situation. I wear a lot of tank tops because my shoulders and biceps don't feel comfortable in shirts with sleeves.

I totally understand !I cant wear shirts that are no stretchy. Any kind of button startchy shirt make me feel so constrained, Especially if i accidently flex lol
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    It's simple, your body fat % is still up there. You need to reduce this, and you'll get smaller thighs, along with trying to do less exercises that focus on those areas.
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. People on MFP (esp. men, I notice) always say that "women can't bulk up through weight training," etc., etc., but I can tell you from personal experience that's not true. I'm slim-ish (3 lbs from my goal weight, yay!) and I do no weight training (all cardio, sometimes yoga). Yet people still ask me if I'm a body builder because I have such defined muscles. I even have veins that pop out on my arms -- like a body builder, lol. I think it's genetic; also, a doctor once told me that I have some signs of higher-than-normal testosterone.

Here's what I've found helps -- first of all, losing weight and lowering your body fat percentage does help. Even if your muscles feel firm, you may still have subcutaneous fat (under-the-skin fat) that is firm and is making those muscles look bigger by adding an extra layer. Lots of cardio does help (and it's good for you!). Avoid squats, lunges, and stair-stepping machines. And all my jeans are stretch jeans. Also, I learned how to sew better so I can alter my clothes myself.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I also have very muscular thighs. As I get my body fat percentage down (I am about 23%) I am seeing that my inner thighs are really thinning out and becoming more toned. The outsides of my thighs are pretty solid but I am noticing a change in my inner things as I finish up Insanity. Perhaps yours will change more as you get lower also. Good luck to you!
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also have very muscular thighs. As I get my body fat percentage down (I am about 23%) I am seeing that my inner thighs are really thinning out and becoming more toned. The outsides of my thighs are pretty solid but I am noticing a change in my inner things as I finish up Insanity. Perhaps yours will change more as you get lower also. Good luck to you!

I agree -- I've seen more change on my inner thighs, less on my outer thighs.