HEART RATE MONITORS - Need Help

Options
MOTOACTV Fitness -- Seems pricey but it not only gives heart rate and calories burned but also is a mp3 player.

Has anyone used this before?
Pros vs. Cons anyone?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I haven't used that one, but Polar makes the best all-around HRM for running in my opinion. I have the FT60 which was about $135 and totally worth the price.

What I like about the MOTOACTV Fitness trainer (if we're talking about the same model) is that it's got wifi and bluetooth, and GPS embedded. It actually looks pretty awesome for people like myself who are big into stats and tech features.

Amazon.com shows mostly good reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/MOTOACTV-Fitness-Tracker-Music-Player/dp/B005Q3144W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337269222&sr=8-1
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with that unit but as an HRM and music listener I'd have some concerns. If one goes bad they both go bad. The other thing is I couldn't tell whether there was an arm or chest band. If it's merely a wrist device I'd have accuracy concerns.

I do understand it would be nice to cut down on the devices you have to mess with.

Lorenzo
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a wahoo HRM with chest strap. It has ANT+ so the signal can be read by several iPhone apps. I can listen to music and record my heart rate at the same time. I also really like the graphs.
  • MoniqueMajicek
    Options
    I got mine off of craigslist for $10 and it works GREAT! I love it :)
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't know much about that HRM :/

I recently got the Polar Ft40 (http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Ft40F-Womens-Heart-Monitor/dp/B004AH299O) and so far no complaints!
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I use Timex Ironman Global Trainer with GPS enabled and I couldnt be happier!
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Scosche myTREK which features an armband monitor and bluetooth connection. Work really well with the Digifit iPhone app and soon (hopefully) the Runkreeper app. The official Scosche myTREK iPhone app looks great but in reality sucks big time. With Digifit it works great and is very easy to use.

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2218
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Okay I read through more of the reviews on the Motoactv, and it looks like battery life would be the biggest concern. They claim 9 hours of battery life outdoors but in reality that is always given as a maximum. There are users reviewing it, saying that they don't get more than 4 hours of use with GPS and bluetooth connected. That to me is a major drawback if you're planning on ever using it for long runs, walks, hikes, or rides. I think I'm personally going to wait to see if they come out with a new version that has better battery :)
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah they say Polar IS the best and most accurate. I just got a RS100. It tracks your calories, laps, heart rate, tells you your ideal rate for your height and weight, etc and is very user friendly. I thought it would be hard and complicated but its literally two buttons. And I thought the strap would be a nuisance but its so easy to use and very comfortable. I don't even feel it when its on and you cant see it on through my clothes. I think it was under 100 on sale. The regular price was 109 I believe.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well for now, i just bought a oregon scientific HRM It tracks calories, heart rate, distance and speed.. and prob a few other items but if it fails I won't really care because it was $19.99 @ Marshalls lol.. gotta love that store.
  • You all should check out Digifit, it's awesome!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    I've had two Polar's crap out on me. I love my Garmin 610; worth every penny. Does way more than the Polars and is still going.
  • Laura82NH
    Laura82NH Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60. It's pretty basic, I mainly just watch my heartrate and try to "stay in my zone". Oh and it's good to know how many calories I burn when I exercise =)