Do you eat all your calories for the day?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Get ready for ALL kinds of opinions! Just remember that you need to experiment and find out what works for you.

You will not starve to death if you stick with 1200. I dont care what anyone says. You wont.

Eat if you are hungry! . If you want something not so healthy once in a while, make room for it with exercise calories. I don't mean a big binge, nasty fried food, a bag of candy, chips, etc., but maybe a single serving of something a few times a week so you don't feel deprived.

See your Dr. for a checkup and ask her/him how many calories you should eat per day, for YOU. Try it and see how it works.

I've done both. In my experience, I did NOT lose weight while eating most of my exercise calories back. I am now back to 1200-1400 per day (suggested by my Dr.), period, and the pounds are coming off, I still have energy and I'm very active. I think the key is to make sure you exercise daily, eat healthy food and snacks and maybe a 200 or so over your recommended intake. I've lost 33 pounds, I rarely get hungry, but I do eat the right things. (most days) I'm also short and small boned. I think that the 1200 cals a day & exercise calories is too much for me, obviously. I checked on what my maintenance calories will be when I reach goal weight and it's less than 1200!

Yesterday I had a deficit of over 1,000 and I actually woke up hungry, but that's rare for me. I have a hard time convincing myself that by 8:30pm, if I have a deficit and I'm not hungry, that I should stuff myself so I don't have a deficit.

Read up on this in the forums and see what people have learned from experience. Try some, ignore some, do what works for you and don't worry about the millions of opinions out there, including mine!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When i first started mfp i was never touching my excercise calories and i was eating 100 below of the calories given...I kept on hitting alot of walls and never losing weight... Then i was told to eat ALL of my calories and HALF of my excercise calories back and WOW!! HUGE difference with my body.. The weight is comming off now and i feel SO much better!! The body needs food to keep going!!

I had the same experience. I was confused about the exercise calories too until I went in and played with my settings. What I found is that when I put I want to lose 1.5 pounds per week, have a sedentary job, and exercise 6 days per week my calorie amount is 1200. If I put the same thing with NO exercise my calorie amount is still 1200. So, I figure the 1200 is my base. If I consume 1200 calories with no exercise I should lose 1.5 pounds per week. When I exercise and eat some or most of those exercise bonus calories the weight comes off and I feel so much better. Hope this helps.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories, exercise calories included! This is what works for me!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    In the morning lol well, over 50% of them anyways
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That 500 calorie deficit is from the calories your body burns up... I am fairly sure that your body burns a LOT more than 1200 calories just by sitting around, let alone when you exercise. 1200 is a really low number, are you sure that's what you should have your goal set to?? Did you fill in all your info (height weight age etc) ?

To answer your question, yes I eat all my calories. I have my goal set to have a small deficit (Less than a 200 calorie deficit) which is 1800 and I eat all my exercise calories on top of that.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day - Some days I am over, some I am under - I just go with it and MFP helps me monitor what I am eating...
  • mlc323
    mlc323 Posts: 7
    Options
    There should never be a point where you are below 1200 FOOD calories/day. Activity calories aside, you should be consuming 1200 calories of food for you body to not start catabolizing muscle rather than using fat for energy. A deficit from exercise is ALWAYS good, but under no circumstances should you be eating less than 1200 FOOD calories/day. You will never boost your metabolism if your body is constantly starving for energy.

High protein/fiber, moderate GOOD carbs (avoid processed sugars and AVOID chemical-filled artifical additives), and healthy fats will easily allow you to hit your 1200 calorie/allotment and still continue to lose weight. Health studies by the NIH and the Mayo Clinic (among MANY others) advise you to not go below 1200 calories if you are looking for successful long term weight loss.

If you are eating less than 1200 kcals/day your body will eventually go into a food frenzy and you'll binge. It's not about diet, it's about lifestyle changes. :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This may have been addressed before, but....

That's why there is a SEARCH feature.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    wow... I just joined up and I am averaging going over my calories by 500-900. I am NOT trying to lose weight, but to gain it and MFP is recommending me to take in over 3000 calories, I been taking in 3500-3900 so far. I actually use the food diary to help me with my course of action. I am actually going for a zigzag carb diet. (BTW) eating less doesn't help burn fat, higher metabolism helps burn fat, in order to do that, you actually have to eat spread out throughout the day, not just 3 meals to put your metabolism in hot mode.
    if you put your metabolism in a hot zone, you will achieve your calorie intake. experimenting with different foods will help you feel full and stay in your target calorie zone.
    I am not over stuffing either, I can actually consume more calories, but since I am on a new ZigZag diet, I am logging my intake
  • jfields42
    jfields42 Posts: 27
    Options
    I try not to go over my calories and get my protein in. But, if I'm under and I feel fine then I won't eat the rest of the calories. I know my body and I know when I need to eat.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    MFP has already built the deficit into the 1200 calories they gave you and the exercise you do is just increasing that. I eat back most (if not all, some days) of the exercise calories I get (which I track with a HRM for accuracy) and net my BMR daily. I lose 1-2lbs a week consistently.

I'm so stupid, I don't know how to do that.

You don't know how to do what?

Calculate....I'm at 1380 a day, 35, f, 138 lbs 5 4"...3 times a week workout...I dunno all that deficit stuff...told ya I'm too stoooopid.
    That is why you don't have to calculate MFP did it for you....just make sure that you eat the 1380, if you exercise just make sure that you net 1380. Its not rocket science, it is done for you.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If I hadn't eaten all of my exercise calories when I was eating 1200/day, I would have keeled over and fainted.

Now I eat 1600 when sedentary, and 2000+ when I rock climb.

I think my pictures speak for themselves. Feel free to creep on them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I consume them weekly, but not daily, and I eat every last one. I actually have my goal set low because I know that I will frequently go over. So, I eat mine, and then I eat some of yours too.
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I spend more time working tracking my Protein numbers for the day, rather than the calorie count, though I'm certainly conscious about it throughout the day. That was the biggest thing I learned from WW, then MFP, is how to combo your meals with lean proteins to fit within a reasonable calorie amount for weight loss/management.

I generally end up slightly under my calorie count when figuring in my excercise calories, but only by 100-200, so it's not a concern for me.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back mine unless there is a REALLY big deficit. Am I wrong? I need to know as well....I didn't want to start a topic b/c it seems the "know-it-alls" on here point and laugh, or post stupid captions up to make fun of us who are new or misinformed. (Now I've opened up the floodgates for captions, I know, I know)

I would suggest you check out the eat more weigh less group. It's packed full of awesome info.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating all my exercise calories any more. I'm actually trying to not eat most of them. I just started that last week because before that I hadn't really been exercising consistently. The way I see it, I'm working out to create a bigger deficit and to lose quicker. Trial and error; if this doesn't work for me then I'll go back to doing what I was doing.

I really don't worry about following the popular opinions on here, I've been on this site off and on for a while so I've read a lot on the forums. However, if something is working for me then it works, if it doesn't I'll change it. That's just common sense! The 22lbs I've lost so far have been slooow, mostly in part to going over my calorie goal more often than I should. Now that it's summer, I'm really buckling down with eating right and working out more and I'm hoping that will get me quicker results. If it doesn't, then I'll adjust something somewhere until I get the results I want!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    MFP has already built the deficit into the 1200 calories they gave you and the exercise you do is just increasing that. I eat back most (if not all, some days) of the exercise calories I get (which I track with a HRM for accuracy) and net my BMR daily. I lose 1-2lbs a week consistently.

I'm so stupid, I don't know how to do that.

You don't know how to do what?

Calculate....I'm at 1380 a day, 35, f, 138 lbs 5 4"...3 times a week workout...I dunno all that deficit stuff...told ya I'm too stoooopid.
    That is why you don't have to calculate MFP did it for you....just make sure that you eat the 1380, if you exercise just make sure that you net 1380. Its not rocket science, it is done for you.

Well excuse me for asking a question.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories and my excercise ones too. So far so good.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you're eating your exercise cals its probably good to have a deficit in case the MFP calorie burned estimate is incorrect (which it most likely is). That's the reason I don't eat back my exercise cals (and if I do I only eat back maybe 25% of them...)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If you're eating your exercise cals its probably good to have a deficit in case the MFP calorie burned estimate is incorrect (which it most likely is). That's the reason I don't eat back my exercise cals (and if I do I only eat back maybe 25% of them...)
    Or better yet, invest in a heart rate monitor! And even then, it's good to leave a little leftover for any errors in either your measuring of food or your calorie burn (even heart rate monitors aren't perfect)!