Treadmill Intervals??

Options
I exercise 6 days a week, I’m up to 38mins on the Lifecycle Bike (Random, Level 4) and afterwards I do Slim n Six Pack and Slim n Limber from Slim in 6. I was able to get a treadmill for $30 at a garage sale that is like new! I want to get into running...but I really suck at it :blushing: . I hear all good things about interval training on the treadmill and wanted to know if anyone had a good interval routine for a novice runner? :smokin: :flowerforyou: :smile:

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good starting program. It has you walk/run intervals to train you to run a 5k. It is where I started and I am running a mile now nonstop. Can't wait until I can run a 5k!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    You'd be perfect then for Couch to 5k. It's a running program that starts at jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90...over 9 weeks (3 times a week) you build up to jogging for 30 minutes. It's a great program! And you don't have to be a skinny mini to do it, I'm 210 lbs and I just started running the 30 minute days! There's a really great group that do it too, we're really supportive and motivational..you should check out our thread!

This is the running program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And here's our discussion thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/66512-couch-to-5k-anyone-we-start-on-monday

PS: If you have a mp3 player, you can download podcasts, or if you have an iPhone, there's an awesome C25K app. :flowerforyou:
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Couch to 5k!
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies!! i'm def going to d/l it.

Does it tell you at what speed to put the treadmill at during the intervals?

Do you do different exercises on your rest days or just take the day off completely? I'm so used to exercising 6 days a week, I feel really crappy if I miss more than one day a week. I was going to start 30 day shred...do you think its too much to do inbetween C25k, on rest days?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    You just do whatever speed at which you're comfortable!

I exercise 6 days also, so you should be okay.
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    I do 6 days also. P90X 6 days a week and C25k 6 days a week.

My intervals are ususally walks at 3.6 and runs at 6.0. But you have to do what's right for you, speed doesn't matter at this point. You can get faster when the program is over. I think I ran at 5.0 the first time I did this program.