Is this true??

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
my mom has the Bob Greene book and she said he says in the book that when you feel your tummy rumbling it is burning fat, is this true? Everything I have read says it is the digestive system going to work, which is right?? Also when you start losing weight do you lose the wieght first off the fatties parts of your body, or does it just come off any ol place?? I have been losing weight but my postpartum belly is the fattiest area and some has come off there, but really I am noticing the differences in places like my fingers!! My rings are much looser, etc. Are there certain regions it disappears from first??

Replies

• kingon8
    Options
    my mom has the Bob Greene book and she said he says in the book that when you feel your tummy rumbling it is burning fat, is this true? Everything I have read says it is the digestive system going to work, which is right?? Also when you start losing weight do you lose the wieght first off the fatties parts of your body, or does it just come off any ol place?? I have been losing weight but my postpartum belly is the fattiest area and some has come off there, but really I am noticing the differences in places like my fingers!! My rings are much looser, etc. Are there certain regions it disappears from first??
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the first one, but rule of dieting says that you lose the fat, on the part you want the most, last.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When your stomach is growling..like from hunger, its already past the point of giving you signals, and is pretty much yelling to you that you need food. If it is after eating...it is just your digestive system. Is that guy a dietitian? Or just a nutritionist....I'd be leary of anyone who calls themselves a "nutritionist". My mom is a registered dietitian, and has to keep up her training every year and has to have certain credentials....I'd check him out.
  • jetswa737
    jetswa737 Posts: 28
    Options
    The (core) midsection is usually the last part one tends to loose weight. From my understanding the extremities are the first part of your body that you notice wait loss.
  • kingon8
    Options
    When your stomach is growling..like from hunger, its already past the point of giving you signals, and is pretty much yelling to you that you need food. If it is after eating...it is just your digestive system. Is that guy a dietitian? Or just a nutritionist....I'd be leary of anyone who calls themselves a "nutritionist". My mom is a registered dietitian, and has to keep up her training every year and has to have certain credentials....I'd check him out.

He is the author of the best life diet, he's the guy Oprah is always promoting.
  • christahollis
    Options
    Oprah also promoted that guy who wrote the fradulent auto-biography...A Million Tiny Pieces (I think it's called...)
    Just because it's on Oprah doesn't mean it's true, accurate, safe, or reliable.
  • kingon8
    Options
    Oprah also promoted that guy who wrote the fradulent auto-biography...A Million Tiny Pieces (I think it's called...)
    Just because it's on Oprah doesn't mean it's true, accurate, safe, or reliable.

No, I realize that , I just mean that this guy is actually pretty well known.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    From Wikipedia......
    "Bob Greene (born December 8, 1954) is an American exercise physiologist and certified personal trainer specializing in fitness, metabolism, and weight loss.

Greene studied physical education at the University of Delaware and then went on to get a master’s degree in exercise physiology from the University of Arizona. He is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Council on Exercise."
  • my2girls0507
    Options
    Unfortunately for women the first place you tend to lose weight from is your boobs! For most of us that sucks because we want those to stay big (at least I do).
  • kingon8
    Options
    haha:laugh: , I dont have much to lose to begin with, so I hope I can keep what I've got! Maybe I should've posted, where have you all lost first?? And I'll see what the concensus is!! So please reply!
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only thing that determines where you lose weight from first is genetics. So, it's different for everyone. Typically, the place where you first start noticing weight gain is the first place you will notice losing. Personally, its my tummy/love handles. I wish it was my hips/thighs! But I guess I have my mother to blame for that lol.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    You lose fat in inverse order of how you put it on. Technically that's not necessarily true, but for all intents and purposes it is true.

See, the body will pull energy from the most convenient spot it can. convenience for the body with regards to burning fat is fat that is closest to the blood stream usually. This means that the body will burn the fat that it most recently put on because fat is stored in layers,the outermost later closest to the blood is the layer the body will grab first. Areas that are bulging with fat have been pushed far away from the major arteries so it will take a while to grab those fat stores.

The body judges convenience by how much energy is expended to grab the fat, break it down into it's component parts, and distribute it to the areas that need the energy.

It's important to note that as you come closer to your maintenance weight, your body will determine that it's more efficient to burn some lean mass along with fat because it is closer to your blood stream and even though it is harder to break down then fat, and you get less energy from it, the fact that you have scarce stores of fat means the body needs additional sources of energy. This also happens during starvation but for different reasons (the body feels keeping the amount of muscle around is increasing energy consumption, so buring muscle releives some of the energy totals in the body). Thus the reason that it's important to lower your deficit and eat your calories when you are close to your maintenance weight. It's also the reason why losing "that last ten pounds" is so difficult.

So all in all, the places that have grown the most, normally, will be the hardest to get rid of. Sad but true.
  • kingon8
    Options
    wow thanks for that answer I never realized it was burnt first from fat closest to the arteries. that makes sense with someone elses response of "where we want to lose most tends to be last" now i understand why that is. Typically we want the fattiest places gone first, and those are the same places that are furthest away from the arteries. that really helped me alot in figuring out why I am losing where I am losing.:flowerforyou: