Anyone Out There Struggle With Middle Of The Night Eating???

Options
I need some coping mechanisms! I have a horrible habit of eating in the middle of the night. I wake up starving and don't seem to have any self discipline in the wee hours of the morning. I always seem to think; "ah, who cares, I 'll do better tomorrow!"

I am about ready to have my husband lock the fridge before we go to bed because I don't know what else to do. I just don't seem to be able to think logically when half asleep and starving!

If anyone out there has struggled with this and found ways to beat this habit, please let me know what you did. I need all the help I can get.

Replies

• mellymassacre
    mellymassacre Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem, but sometimes I wake up at 2.09am (its always the same time, i dunno why) and feel an unnatural hunger. I find going to bed later, or not going to bed until im very very tired helps.

I would suggest you do something before you go to sleep that drains your mind energy, like reading a book, playing a DS, doing a puzzle or a cross word. I think that would take your mind off food before sleeping and help you sleep more deeply so you dont wake up during the night.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating during the day? Maybe it's not enough! Hunger shouldn't be waking you!
  • gamommaof3
    gamommaof3 Posts: 59
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes. When I go to bed I am full but my body is telling me it needs something. I usually only notice it if I wake up to use the restroom. A coworker that is very knowledgeable about diet/exercise told me to have a little protein drink. I will just drink a 1/2 cup skim milk with a 1/2 scoop of my protein powder. It satisfies me fine and he said the protein is good. It is fueling the muscles. This isn't causing me any negative effects with my weight either. Good luck!
  • msjta
    msjta Posts: 51
    Options
    I grab an orange when that happens to me. During the night when I am "flashing", i will grab a freeze pop...only 20 calories
  • jgarf4me
    jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Trouble with it for years
    try something sweet before you go to bed but small and healthy. I was advised to try cashew butter with some cashews. Just a teaspoon with a couple of cashews. Its better to eat something with healthy fats to keep you full even if its late then eat in the middle of the night when your body cant digest it well adn it interuppts your sleep pattern which affects your next day.
    Good luck
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Do you remember what you are eating or how much? If you can't that could be a problem. But if you KNOW that you are going to eat I suggest this:
    Sleep with a bottle of water by the bed. You may already know that thirst disguises itself as hunger. I get very thirsty at night.

If I'm actually hungry I will do 1 of a few things:
    1. Drink COLD water from the fridge. Don't know why, but this helps.
    2. Instead of food i will have a small serving of low fat or soy milk. (love me some silk light vanilla!) Since milk isn't as easily digested as water it seems to trick my stomach. Also I will sip it very slowly and enjoy it. (yes, i'm a milk lover!)
    3. Have a serving of yogurt or cottage cheese or anything I can't eat from the container that isn't junk. I try to avoid fruit since as a child i was told having fruit before bed gives you nightmares. -now I don't know if that's true, but it's my habit.

Maybe also figure out if there is a craving pattern - sweet or salty? crunchy or creamy? Then you can "allow" yourself a certain food that you have when you do wake up. Make sure you track it with your calories because it does matter-

and don't feel so bad about it! everyone has night time hunger at some point!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating during the day? Maybe it's not enough! Hunger shouldn't be waking you!

This.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bumping for some tips on this as well!! I do the same thing, I wake up at least 4-5x/night & not ALL of the time but sometimes it's like I am starving....Since it is so late, I usually grab a handful of nuts which has been my bad habit lately...I know it has some good fats but I think the scale is feeling it as well b/c it happens quite a bit lately.... :(
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My thought would be that you might not be eating enough during the day. I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't be waking up hungry if you're getting enough to eat before you go to bed.

However, if you've already tried increasing your intake during the day and that doesn't help, why not PLAN to have a snack in the middle of the night? Buy something healthy, that you ENJOY eating (or you'll be tempted to go get something else), and set it on your bedside table with a bottle of water. When you wake up, drink the water and eat your snack. If you plan it in advance, you can even go ahead and put it into your calories before going to bed. Presto, problem solved.
  • StaceyKeller71
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips! I wake up frequently, not necessarily because I am hungry, but because that is just my regular sleep pattern. I almost wonder if I've trained my body to wake up to eat becaue of my bad habit. It's definitely something I need to stop.

I remember what I did...I am defintely awake....just not awake enough to care that I'm eating frosting by the spoonful. ;-) Okay, it's not always that bad but I definitely don't make good choices at that time of night.

I am going to set a goal to kick this habit, but in the meantime, I will have quick, healthy foods on hand that I can grab if I feel that I need something.
  • brittnyboop
    Options
    no but me its right befor bed!!!
  • brittnyboop
    Options
    try like mango-avocado - or already have a nice crunchy salade made in the frdge. n when you wake up Eat it