weight lifting and days off?

Options
I have come to the realization that I may need to skip my cardio (basketball)-only routine and start lifting. I've been stuck for weeks at 255 and am getting pretty frustrated.

My question is: If I lift weights 2 or 3 times a week (M,W,F or maybe M,W)... on my off days is it alright to keep playing basketball? Or is that counterproductive?

Right now I'm playing basketball 4 or 5 times a week. Would hate to completely cut it out.

Replies

• cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's totally okay and actually better for you if you keep playing basketball. :)

I just started lifting yesterday and my first day was a blast! You'll have fun with it, especially since you get to keep your other fun exercise as well.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    No need to cut it out completely. Try cutting down to twice a week and see how your body copes.
  • lwgrubbs
    lwgrubbs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I play basketball about 4 or 5 times a week and try to lift 3 times a week. That makes some days tough as I do both but am definitely starting to see some improvements. It'll sure burn the calories!
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So when they talk about "rest days" they mean not to lift, basically?
  • BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    Your body needs time to recover that's why the say have rest days. Give your body time to repair. Imagine if you played a basketball game without rest just non stop. It's the same you need time to rest and recover.
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    So when they talk about "rest days" they mean not to lift, basically?

Exactly! Your muscles need to recover from any microtears or whatever else is going on while you lift weights. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable could offer more information.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can keep on doing what you're doing unless it stops working.

For me personally, after I hit 100# with the squats and deadlifts, my cardio began to suffer. I"m a spin instructor and I was actually having trouble teaching my classes. I guess I was overtraining bc I was exhausted all the time, despite eating at TDEE.

I couldn't stop or shorten my spin classes, so I ultimately took a full week off of everything to rest and recover, and I have resumed weights at 2x/week instead of 3. For me 2 days weights and 4 days cardio works better. 3 days of weights wiped me right out.

I also now understand WHY it's recommended to take a week off and deload at least once every 6 weeks, and it is in fact TRUE that you can't maximize the opposite processes without one or both suffering; i.e., you can't effectively do triathalons and be increasing your weights by 5-10# x 3 sessions a week.

If you are looking for moderate overall fitness, though, you can find your balance.

blessings.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    A lot of people would consider basketball/hiking/walking/swimming/frisbee/light run or anything else we enjoy doing a rest activity from weight training. There's a lot to be said about resting the mind - and the things we enjoy is exactly that.
    A rest day doesn't mean be completely sedentary. It just means do something different.

So, introduce your new routine and see what happens. I would suggest giving yourself at least 3 hours between basketball and weight training if done on the same day though - otherwise you run the risk of the latter exercise suffering and will not be as enjoyable.

Play ball and listen to your body - but don't let it be an excuse to be less active.
    e.g. I feel a little sore so I'll rest..... please.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Also, sometimes, it helps to take an entire week off fro doing our normal stuff. Like an entire reset.
    So, for 1 week every 2-3 months, don't do any basketball, weight training and eat maintenance.
    Then do other stuff that you wouldn't normally do - like a swim, walk, run whatever. But perhaps at a more sedate pace. Just enjoy life.
    Then get back to it.
    It can just help kickstart any plateau (even b-ball performance) and is a really good way to allow your body a full rest.