Long time lurker, sorta first time poster.

Options
Hi. My name is Robin. I've been dieting ever since I was six years old. I have never really been successful. Until my friend introduced me to this site. I downloaded the myfitnesspal ap to my iPad. Ever since I have dedicated myself to adding my food and drink to the food diary. Only recently have I included exercise by pulling my recumbent bike out of storage and into my room (thank you, A/C!).

Very slowly I am loosing weight. People say the weight came on slowly, it will come off slowly, right? Well, it's definitely taking it's time! I don't want to be a size 2. But I would love to be a size 14. It's a comfortable size for my short, frumpy size.

My problem (besides carbohydrates and not knowing about real ‘protein’) is that I get bored very easily. If I don’t see results I lose interest.
What is your motivation? What keeps you going? What do you do when you're having those 'I feel like crap and I don't want to do this right now' feeling?
Of course adding friends are helpful too!

Replies

• chellebelle315
    Options
    I'm back to MFP and starting over on my weight loss after a long time of not paying attention to my body. I understand about getting bored/frustrated when you don't see results. One of the things that helps me is to set goals and create a strategy that doesn't only rely on what the scale says. (I can get too obsessed and frustrated when it doesn't change.)

For example, this time around, aside from my regular diet and exercise strategy, I'm doing a "Do 100 pushups in six weeks" program. Tracking my results as I get stronger will help me stay motivated regardless of what the scale says. It also helps me to set goals and check in/report to them weekly. I'll probably start a thread like that sometime in the next week.

Sometimes being accountable to (relative) strangers is easier than trying to do it on your own.
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin...It takes me a while to get the weight off, probably due to slower metabolism and gradually building up exercise as I have fibromyalgia (if I walked 5 miles right off the bat, I'd be in bed for days!!). I know others who are losing weight at a much faster rate and it gets discouraging but each person's weight loss journey is going to be different. I also am feeling now that I've been on MFP for a month that it is not so much about how fast the weight comes off but that it is about adopiting a healthier lifestyle (diet and exercise) for life. I've changed my diet already by tracking the calories, fat, etc. and am doing more exercise than I have in a long time. Even if the weight is slow to come off, I am leading a healthier lifestyle and taht is important. Feel free to add me, we can encourage each other :smile: !!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin. Completely understand where you are at. For me, the problem has always been thinking "I'm on a diet", as that immediately makes me feel deprived and want to reach for the chocolate!

MyFitnessPal is good in that it helps you to readjust the way you think - put getting fit and reaching your potential your priority and then reaching for a healthy option falls more easily into place. Admittedly, I've struggled to lose weight since joining MFP nearly a year ago, but I have lost inches and my fitness is better than it has been in years.

My advice would be to log in regularly. I fell off the logging in waggon a while ago and my weight bounced up. Logging in and talking to your MFP friends help keeps you accountable. I also find it's a good way to distract myself when I'm getting a sugar craving! I stopped smoking the same way three years ago by logging on to a stop smoking forum every time I got a craving (http://forum.nosmokingday.org.uk/ - fantastic forum for people of all nationalities).

If you need advice on what to eat and the choices to make - come on the forums and ask. It's amazing the knowledge that people have. It also helps to build up a varied group of friends on MFP - both ones with the same goals as you and ones who are further ahead in their mission. Post your goals, whether it is losing a certain amount of weight, a preferred way of eating or fitness goals, on the forum and put a shout out for friends. I find it helps to have some friends who are a bit more gung-ho and healthier than me as they give me a nudge when I'm not logging or getting enough exercise!

And, finally, you mention you have problems with carbs. I know it's not for everyone, but I find cutting down my starchy carbs helps knock those cravings on the head. At meals I just substitute lots and lots of green veg and salads for rice, potatoes, bread etc. When I do have starchy carbs (usually on days when I'm doing a lot of exercise) I make them the smallest portion on my plate and make sure they are wholegrain. Also be careful with sugar - it's added to just about everything. As such, I try to prepare all meals from scratch so I know exactly what is in them. Sunday evening is a good time to cook in bulk (from veg-filled chilis and curries to poached salmon for salads at lunch) - just put portions in the fridge or freezer to heat up (with a big salad or veg) during the week. I also have an electronic scale that is permanently on my kitchen worktop. It's a flat one that you can put a bowl, plate or pan straight on to. Get into the habit of weighing your food and logging on MFP - I've always been a relatively healthy eater but my downfall has been portion control.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. You've taken a step in the right direction by joining - it's onwards and upwards from here!
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ROBIN - I would advise anybody to take photos, measurements & buy a calliper set. These are far more informative than a scale, the scale is a very emotional way to track your weight & it is very inaccurate - in the sense that it can be affected by so much more than weight. I would try to concentrate on intensity, energy & how you feel over how many pounds you have lost per week.

Russ
  • ranchel1
    ranchel1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Robin,

I'm on MFP to help me gain muscle. Our goals are essentially the same though - we both want to get fit and treat our bodies how they should be treated.

My MFP friends are a huge inspiration, they cheer me on when I've forced myself to go to the gym when all I wanted to do was eat ice-cream. I've signed up for a 10km this summer, which gives me a goal. I think the main thing is not to beat yourself up. Hey, we're human - we're all going to have those days when we stuff our faces with cookies - particularly us ladies at certain times of the month! Afterwards, you just have to do some sport to burn those calories. And that's not bad either - forcing yourself to run an extra 15 mins will also help you build stamina. Feeling rubbish because you indulged is just going to make you feel rubbish about losing weight, and that's not what you want.

For short-term inspiration, I google fitness-inspiration pics. The Facebook group STRONG LOLA is fantastic for images of fit women and those little pep talks you often need to keep going.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Inspiration needs to come from within. Find something that you want to change ... and focus on it ... make it the enemy and set your goals realistically. As you said you didnt gain overnight so it isnt going to disappear in a day.

As for motivation - thats where having many MFP friends helps ... they not only encourage and keep me accountable but they are the little angel on my shoulder that scream dont do it when I post about having cravings.

Ultimately though, as one of my friends told me - life has no remote control .... you need to get up and change it yourself.

For Carbs - I cant help ... even though I have managed a 50lb loss this year I have done it with white bread, white rice and potatoes as part of my regular diet.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Robin,
    I have been doing this since July 2011 and joined MFP in September. I am averaging 1lb a week and that's with regular exercise I never used to do before. I always said it would be winter 2012 before I lost all the weight I want to lose and it looks like I'll be right - there or thereabouts.
    What I'd say is that taking my time over this has been the right thing. Of course it was frustrating at the start when it looked like I'd never get there, but I realise now that taking it off slowly and by eating well and exercising I have trained myself for "the time after - the maintenance phase". It doesn't seem so daunting to think I'll be carrying on in this lifestyle for the rest of my life.
    Many people have said it but it bears repetition - there are no easy ways to do this.
    Good luck with your progress.
    Anne
  • fortheheart
    fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm back to MFP and starting over on my weight loss after a long time of not paying attention to my body. I understand about getting bored/frustrated when you don't see results. One of the things that helps me is to set goals and create a strategy that doesn't only rely on what the scale says. (I can get too obsessed and frustrated when it doesn't change.)

For example, this time around, aside from my regular diet and exercise strategy, I'm doing a "Do 100 pushups in six weeks" program. Tracking my results as I get stronger will help me stay motivated regardless of what the scale says. It also helps me to set goals and check in/report to them weekly. I'll probably start a thread like that sometime in the next week.

Sometimes being accountable to (relative) strangers is easier than trying to do it on your own.

I am pretty obsessive over the scale too. Right now I am currently relying on three. The one my aunt uses, and two different doctor offices. They all say something different. The range is between two pounds or so. I'd really like it if they would agree.
    I am having surgery on Monday. But as far as goals ar concerned, I guess I could start hand weights while watching TV when my doctor gives me the OK. My arms are very flabby.
    Thanks!
  • fortheheart
    Options
    Hi Robin...It takes me a while to get the weight off, probably due to slower metabolism and gradually building up exercise as I have fibromyalgia (if I walked 5 miles right off the bat, I'd be in bed for days!!). I know others who are losing weight at a much faster rate and it gets discouraging but each person's weight loss journey is going to be different. I also am feeling now that I've been on MFP for a month that it is not so much about how fast the weight comes off but that it is about adopiting a healthier lifestyle (diet and exercise) for life. I've changed my diet already by tracking the calories, fat, etc. and am doing more exercise than I have in a long time. Even if the weight is slow to come off, I am leading a healthier lifestyle and taht is important. Feel free to add me, we can encourage each other :smile: !!

That's kind of funny. I went to a doctor last Tuesday to find out if I have arthritis. He thinks I have fibromyalgia. (still waiting on another blood test and I took a Sleep Apnea test on Tuesday ). I get very sore and tired too. Actually, I've never felt young.
    Yes, I'll add you.
  • kbearx3
    kbearx3 Posts: 6
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been heavy all my life. I dont want to be a twig, I just want to be average, 14, maybe 16(which i realize isnt average these days, but I just want to be able to go and have fun running around and stuff with my family...
  • fortheheart
    Options
    Hi Robin. Completely understand where you are at. For me, the problem has always been thinking "I'm on a diet", as that immediately makes me feel deprived and want to reach for the chocolate!

MyFitnessPal is good in that it helps you to readjust the way you think - put getting fit and reaching your potential your priority and then reaching for a healthy option falls more easily into place. Admittedly, I've struggled to lose weight since joining MFP nearly a year ago, but I have lost inches and my fitness is better than it has been in years.

My advice would be to log in regularly. I fell off the logging in waggon a while ago and my weight bounced up. Logging in and talking to your MFP friends help keeps you accountable. I also find it's a good way to distract myself when I'm getting a sugar craving! I stopped smoking the same way three years ago by logging on to a stop smoking forum every time I got a craving (http://forum.nosmokingday.org.uk/ - fantastic forum for people of all nationalities).

If you need advice on what to eat and the choices to make - come on the forums and ask. It's amazing the knowledge that people have. It also helps to build up a varied group of friends on MFP - both ones with the same goals as you and ones who are further ahead in their mission. Post your goals, whether it is losing a certain amount of weight, a preferred way of eating or fitness goals, on the forum and put a shout out for friends. I find it helps to have some friends who are a bit more gung-ho and healthier than me as they give me a nudge when I'm not logging or getting enough exercise!

And, finally, you mention you have problems with carbs. I know it's not for everyone, but I find cutting down my starchy carbs helps knock those cravings on the head. At meals I just substitute lots and lots of green veg and salads for rice, potatoes, bread etc. When I do have starchy carbs (usually on days when I'm doing a lot of exercise) I make them the smallest portion on my plate and make sure they are wholegrain. Also be careful with sugar - it's added to just about everything. As such, I try to prepare all meals from scratch so I know exactly what is in them. Sunday evening is a good time to cook in bulk (from veg-filled chilis and curries to poached salmon for salads at lunch) - just put portions in the fridge or freezer to heat up (with a big salad or veg) during the week. I also have an electronic scale that is permanently on my kitchen worktop. It's a flat one that you can put a bowl, plate or pan straight on to. Get into the habit of weighing your food and logging on MFP - I've always been a relatively healthy eater but my downfall has been portion control.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. You've taken a step in the right direction by joining - it's onwards and upwards from here!

You have a lot of great ideas. I have a hard time with crackers and cheese when I am bored. It's a nasty habit I know I must break. Also, I love bread, rice and pasta. But if I don't see it, I don't go hunting around for it. Salads are ok for me as long as I have something interesting in them like chicken or garbanzo beans. But I also love Ranch dressing. See? All I have are excuses.
    Ive been thinking about getting a scale. I have no concept of portion size at all.
  • kbearx3
    kbearx3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Feel fre to add me
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Hmm what keeps me going? for me, there is only ONE way for me to go.......................down the scales, if I didn't do something [no matter how long it takes] I'd be continually going up the scales x
  • fortheheart
    Options
    ROBIN - I would advise anybody to take photos, measurements & buy a calliper set. These are far more informative than a scale, the scale is a very emotional way to track your weight & it is very inaccurate - in the sense that it can be affected by so much more than weight. I would try to concentrate on intensity, energy & how you feel over how many pounds you have lost per week.

Russ

I know I should measure myself. But I'm not doing weights right now. Just my recumbent bike. Will I see enough results to keep me interested?
  • Jori7071
    Jori7071 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's sad that we all think 14 is average. Marilyn Monroe was a 14! She was HOT!!!!! I am blessed with OCD. Most people wouldn't consider that a blessing but in this respect it kinda is. I am obsessive about counting calories, fat, carbs, sodium. I am just freaky weird about it. I think what helps me a lot too is that I look at it as a control thing. My husband can be a little overly controlling. I can't control the weather or if someone likes me or not I have to ask if I can go places or do things but I CAN control what I eat and no one can take that control from me. IT'S MINE! LOL:flowerforyou:
  • fortheheart
    Options
    Hey Robin,

I'm on MFP to help me gain muscle. Our goals are essentially the same though - we both want to get fit and treat our bodies how they should be treated.

My MFP friends are a huge inspiration, they cheer me on when I've forced myself to go to the gym when all I wanted to do was eat ice-cream. I've signed up for a 10km this summer, which gives me a goal. I think the main thing is not to beat yourself up. Hey, we're human - we're all going to have those days when we stuff our faces with cookies - particularly us ladies at certain times of the month! Afterwards, you just have to do some sport to burn those calories. And that's not bad either - forcing yourself to run an extra 15 mins will also help you build stamina. Feeling rubbish because you indulged is just going to make you feel rubbish about losing weight, and that's not what you want.

For short-term inspiration, I google fitness-inspiration pics. The Facebook group STRONG LOLA is fantastic for images of fit women and those little pep talks you often need to keep going.

I can't run just yet. Still not strong enough. But I'll keep walking. But you're going to do a marathon? That's amazing! I've always wanted to do that. To me, running means you're string both mentally and physically. I am not there yet.
    Strong Lola? I am getting a lot of good ideas from this post. Why didn't I do this sooner?
  • Alissakelly
    Alissakelly Posts: 119
    Options
    Hey!
    I've noticed for myself its about getting exercise from things I ENJOY doing. Routines are hard for me to stick to unless I am looking forward to them. If I don't feel like riding my bike, ill go on a run, if i don't feel up to running ill go on a walk. It's now come to a point where I get a high off the endorphins of exercise, and I don't like missing out on that happy feeling afterwards.

My sister had quite a bit of weight to lose, and she started with walking. Gradually she built up the distances of her walks, and the weight has really come off! I always remind myself something is better than nothing. Even if its just a short walk around the block, our bodies appreciate it, and show it by becoming more fit.

For motivation when I'm feeling lazy, I remind myself where I want to be. I think of what the people i look up to fitness wise would say to me, or what they would do.

I also keep a file of inspirational quotes and photos on my computer. So when I'm feeling super lazy I can pull them out and realize that I'm not getting any closer unless I put in an honest effort. As mentioned by other people, before and after photos are KEY!! The scale may not relay happy information, but when you look at the pictures it shows that things ARE happening.

Just the fact that you posted this proves your motivated enough! You can do it!! :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
    I have also been overweight for ALWAYS...
    now I am old and fat, can't do anything about the old, so I decided to tackle the fat.
    I told my self I woul count calories and track my progress for six weeks and if I saw no results, I would move on.
    Well after twenty pounds fell off me.. I decided to try for another 20 lbs.. (not falling off so much -- but gradually I am makking progress!!!

So if you need a push, I am here for you!
  • TennisQtpye
    TennisQtpye Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi! Howdy! When I have off days I post it on MFP. And I get so much positive feed back it's motivating. I'm also loosing slow and steady. Its better and here I keep it off that way. Add me I u like !