strength training Questions

Options
I am 30 days in and have been doing 30-45 min cardio workouts 5-6 days a week. Nothing crazy. From my reading, strength training is the next step. However I have no gym nor do I really understand what all is included in strength training. Do I need weights? Or are there certain types of excercises without weights that are considered strength training? I am not looking to get really cut or anything just trying to help with the flab. So I am not sure that some of the stuff regarding body building applies... Thanks for the help. Any websites you trust are welcome.

Replies

• BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    Don't think of it as strength training but resistance training that you are using resistance like your own body weight.
  • Spacecas
    Spacecas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands and my wii to do strength training..i do not have a gym anywhere close and let me tell you resistance bands work like weights except they work the muscles in every possible way..even if you have no wii the resistance bands come with a sheet in them of workouts to do also you can find more workouts on line..hope this helps..
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am 30 days in and have been doing 30-45 min cardio workouts 5-6 days a week. Nothing crazy. From my reading, strength training is the next step. However I have no gym nor do I really understand what all is included in strength training. Do I need weights? Or are there certain types of excercises without weights that are considered strength training? I am not looking to get really cut or anything just trying to help with the flab. So I am not sure that some of the stuff regarding body building applies... Thanks for the help. Any websites you trust are welcome.

stronglifts.com
    or
    Google Starting Strength by Riptoe.

Don't be scared of weights. If you are worried about "bulking up" read this:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weights will yield the fastest results but are not needed. You can use bands and/or body weight exercises to get an effective workout. I would suggest you check out Bodyrock TV (youtube channel) they post daily workouts and do 30 day challenges, using minimal equipment and usually have alternate ways to do the exercises that require equipment. Once you get into it you can decide if you want to look into a "real" strength training routine, but this will give an effective workout.

I agree chrisb75, about those routines, or even New Rules of Lifting for Women. These routines focus on compound movements using barbells and weight plates to do correctly.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Exactly, body weight is a great resistance for you to use... as are common household items - jars, cans, kids..... anything !
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Think of push ups (reg, at an angle, one arm, etc), planks, squats, lunges, crunches, dips, etc. Search google on how to do different variations of each to add a challenge as you progress. The website http://hundredpushups.com/ have good plans as well (and there are links to dips, squats, crunches...)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You can start by buying a pilates or yoga video. The most basic form of strength training without any weights. You can also buy a simple set of hand weights (maybe 3-5 lbs) and try a video like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. There are lots of things that you can do without spending a lot of money.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    CHALEAN EXTREME!!!!!

It's a strength training/cardio program. IT IS AWESOME. It has changed my body!!!! You can download it for free at http://www.thepiratebay.org and all you need is a set of resistance bands or free weights that go up to 25 lbs each (like select-tech or the generic version)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can start by buying a pilates or yoga video. The most basic form of strength training without any weights. You can also buy a simple set of hand weights (maybe 3-5 lbs) and try a video like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. There are lots of things that you can do without spending a lot of money.

Please don't mistake these programs as strength training. Yoga involves strength, but is not strength training and Jillian Michael videos are cardio (endurance) programs that involve small weights, they are not strength training.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Weights will yield the fastest results but are not needed. You can use bands and/or body weight exercises to get an effective workout. I would suggest you check out Bodyrock TV (youtube channel) they post daily workouts and do 30 day challenges, using minimal equipment and usually have alternate ways to do the exercises that require equipment. Once you get into it you can decide if you want to look into a "real" strength training routine, but this will give an effective workout.

I agree chrisb75, about those routines, or even New Rules of Lifting for Women. These routines focus on compound movements using barbells and weight plates to do correctly.

^this. bodyrock is pretty good, and I just started New Rules myself and like it so far (you will need a gym membership though) the book is great for beginners and explains everything for you so you can understand what strength training is and such.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Look up TRX bands. They are suspension bands that will use body weight as resistance. They also engage the core and depending on how you position yourself is quite difficult.

With these bands you can get a full body workout (and than some) with only your body weight. These bands (with an attachment) can hang from your door or if you have something on your ceiling that can bear weight, can be hung from a rafter.

See the link. The bands are a bit expensive at around $200 CAD but will be perfect for your level of difficulty (as moves are modified for beginners to advanced athletes). When you purchase the bands it comes with a workout DVD and book that goes in depth with exercises and routines that can be performed.

This is ideal for working out at home (or you can even connect the bands to a soccer goal and do it at your local park)

http://www.trxtraining.com/
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

First of all congratulations on the weight you have already lost! You are right, incorporating strength training is the next step and essential in meeting your goals. Just about anything you've read regarding body building in terms of exercise will be helpful, everyone can benefit from the same basic exercises, it's the volume and weight that will make all the difference (and diet of course). Check out Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html. Also BodyRock TV which was previously mentioned is also pretty good. Here's just a few things you can easily incorporate that will be a great start:

Squat: you can start with body weight, and use dumbbells or barbell later. There are many variations of the squat you can look up, but focus on having good form. Because this is a powerlift I suggest looking at videos of powerlifters executing this lift for examples of good form.

Push-ups
    Planks
    Lunges

Best of Luck!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I will be looking into all of these to see what fits my life the best. You guys/girls Rock!