HRM/calories burned Question

Options
I have a new HRM. If I exercise at the top of the range it recommends, does it matter what type of exercise I am doing in terms of number of calories burned?

For example, I can bike for half an hour, keeping my heart rate at the top of the range, and have a really great time. Or I can get on a treadmill, and be totally miserable keeping my heart rate at that same level for half an hour. The calories are about the same.

So does it really matter if I run, walk, bike, swim, or any other kind of exercise, as long as my heart rate is at its target?

I know different exercises work different muscles, but if I am only thinking about weight loss, is there any reason to push myself into activities I don't enjoy as much?

Replies

• eliza46142
    eliza46142 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nope - a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Burn them the fun way and forget the rest :smile:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I always wondered this. I'm pretty sure not all cardio is created equal though. If you're using more muscle groups or exerting yourself in way that isn't going to be presented by heart rate there could be some discrepancies.

To be honest, HRM don't truly calculate calorie burn because they don't know your VO2Max.

Also, the more you do an exercise, the more efficient you get at it. Your heart rate may remain high but your body copes to burn as little calories and be most efficient. Sadly, our bodies are designed to keep extra fat and preserve energy as much as possible.

I mean, a lot of times heart rate rises for non exercise related activities like: getting angry, anxiety, caffeine, drugs etc. I don't think you are "burning" more calories though simply because your heart rate is elevated due to a response by your nervous system.
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't push yourself to do something you don't enjoy. It will never become a habit and why would you want to not do what you enjoy? Maintain your heart rate at a safe range for your height/weight/age and you will continue to burn calories. You shouldn't always be at the top of your range either. Do what you enjoy and the weight loss will be much easier for you!

I understand you said weight loss is your main concern, and it seems you enjoy cardio, but remember that strength training can completely change your body. Plus it boosts your metabolism and you burn calories much longer after strength training than after cardio. A combo is the best!

Be sure to watch your calorie intake as well and not only calories, but what kind of calories you are eating. Eating a 400 calorie unhealthy meal versus a 400 calorie clean meal will make a huge difference.

Good luck!!!

:happy:
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I mean, a lot of times heart rate rises for non exercise related activities like: getting angry, anxiety, caffeine, drugs etc. I don't think you are "burning" more calories though simply because your heart rate is elevated due to a response by your nervous system.

I was wondering about this also. My heartrate really races when I'm scared, but I doubt that really burns much.

I also suspect that even though I don't coast long enough on my bike for my heart rate to go down, I am not working the entire time like I am on a treadmill. So that pokes a hole in the theory that it doesn't matter as long as the heart rate stays up, doesn't it?
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    You shouldn't push yourself to do something you don't enjoy. It will never become a habit and why would you want to not do what you enjoy? Maintain your heart rate at a safe range for your height/weight/age and you will continue to burn calories. You shouldn't always be at the top of your range either. Do what you enjoy and the weight loss will be much easier for you!

This brings up another question. When I'm on the eliptical, which I enjoy, I have to purposely slow down fairly often to keep from going over my target heart rate range. I am quite comfortable above the top of the recommended range. Do I really need to slow down?
  • GymRat45
    GymRat45 Posts: 5
    Options
    It has been my understanding that heart rate has always been the key to burning calories. This is the formula I use for cardio and optimal heart rate.

You should perform your cardio at anywhere from 75-85% of your Max heart rate. This is achieved by subtracting your age from 220 and then multiplying by .75-.85. This is your target heart rate for your cardio.
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    Using this formula, I would want to keep my heart rate at 144 or less. Yet I can easily get into the 150's without being too out of breath, and stay there for quite some time. So should I force myself to slow down?

This is never an issue walking. I can't even get near the low end of my target unless I run (which I hate), get on the eliptical, or ride my bike. Guess I just hate the impact from running.
  • GymRat45
    GymRat45 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would think that their are exceptions to the rules.

Try here.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm

Using this formula, I would want to keep my heart rate at 144 or less. Yet I can easily get into the 150's without being too out of breath, and stay there for quite some time. So should I force myself to slow down?

This is never an issue walking. I can't even get near the low end of my target unless I run (which I hate), get on the eliptical, or ride my bike. Guess I just hate the impact from running.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you are only looking at calories burned, it is entirely dependent upon heart rate and duration.

A lot of people refute the idea that there is a golden "zone" wherein you are burning the most calories from fat. There have been studies done that indicate the range of 65-80% of your maximum heart rate is where body fat oxidizes with the most efficiency, but I don't think it's going to have a tremendous impact on your workout.

People who intentionally work at 80-95% of their maximum heart rate are generally doing so in order to increase cardiovascular efficiency (resting heart rate). There's no reason to avoid working more than 80% of your max heart rate, it's good for you.
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    Thanks. I have now reset my hrm to count anything up to 90% as "in the zone" so that it won't bother me if I get too high, and I'll know that the time it shows as not in zone is the time I'm not working hard enough.