Losing weight & stretch marks

Options
meowchii
meowchii Posts: 47 Member
For those of you who have lost at least 30 lbs, do the stretch marks fade away? I am afraid no matter how hard I work even if I do lose my tummy flab, I will never be able to wear a bikini due to stretch marks on my sides.

Replies

• kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    They'll never go away for good. They're scar tissue. But I do believe that some people have some tips on how to fade them.

Also? Wear a bikini whenever you damn feel like it. It's your body and you're only gonna get to be in it once. You shouldn't hide it away after all the hard work you've done!

If anyone is close enough to see your stretch marks, they'll probably also be close enough for you to smack 'em in the face for minding them.
  • Rachbell84
    Rachbell84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i have the same fear, along with extra skin since i've pretty much always been overweight that skin is good and stretched out.
  • GangstaMa
    GangstaMa Posts: 39
    Options
    I have stretch marks from pregancy and weight loss.i went from about 121 to 176 when i was pregnant. My husband and i went to Jamaica i was about 125.... I wore a bikini :) cellulite and all! I look at the pics and you cant even see them...and I have to agree if someone can see them they are TOO close and you should smack em away :laugh:

My daughter will be 3 next month and my stretch marks have faded lots.I make sure i use lotion and that has seemed to help lots too.
  • mama_to_1
    mama_to_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    mine have a faded a little, but i think it is just due to time, not weight loss. i have also found that tanning can help hide them. last summer you could not see mine at all when i was all tan!
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    After awhile they turn sort of a silvery color and are not all that noticeable. My husband actually thinks they are pretty. I have a friend who has had a lot of success with strivectin (sp?) but it's really expensive! I agree with the person who posted above though, and if you can get comfortable, rock the bikini!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wear that bikini! I used to be embarrassed by my stretch marks (some of which are on my stomach/love handles from fat gain and some are on my shoulders from weight lifting). I lost some weight and started working outside around the house with my shirt off, you'll be amazed at how much they will disappear with a little sun! And if they bother you that much, consider this little piece of advice that someone once gave me about stretch marks:

"Stretch marks are like battle scars, they're there to remind you where you've been and where you're going. Wear them proudly because they're proof you've done something great for yourself."

I've got some pretty big ones under my arms from weight lifting and I'm actually half tempted to get a zipper tattoo'ed onto one of them just for kicks, but that's another story.

Be proud of what you've done and wear that bikini and to hell with what anyone else thinks.
  • cortneymau
    cortneymau Posts: 33
    Options
    I have lost 37lbs and they are really faded now. Not red and puffy like when I first get them. They will definitely fade but not go away completely. I think toning up the ab section, using lots of lotion, drinking tons of water and maybe slapping on some self tanner will do the trick for a bikini. Also, I had a friend that swears she drank aloe plant juice for 3 months straight and the stretch marks really faded and went away - but I don't know that first hand!

Also, I wouldn't worry about stretch marks! EVERYONE HAS THEM! Girls AND Guys. No joke. People will not notice them. Confidence is key. :)
  • janey1306
    janey1306 Posts: 83
    Options
    I got stretch marks through pregnancy, I lost my baby weight pretty quickly each time, as I didnt drive and just walked everywhere. Ive slowly put weight on since passing my driving test, I didnt get any more stretch marks, so I think they fade with time, not weight loss
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have lose 38 lbs and mine have faded big time in arms and legs. Still got a bit more weight to lose in tummy area to have any results there. I went from 110 to 200 lbs with my first son and 150 to 200 with my second. I must say, I would keep this stretch marks for life and not worry for my beautiful boy's from Yahweh were so worth it. And I got huge stretch marks of love :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Sorry, they never go away. I have them from growing too fast (grew 10in in a year) on my sides above my butt. You have to learn to embrace them.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Three years post-pregnancy, I still have every single one of my stretchmark scars but they are silvery/skin colored so you can only really see the wrinkled texture, or in some cases they do sort of shine in the sunlight. But it's not the end of the world, no one loves their stretchmarks at first, or in some cases ever, but there is hope without an expensive tummy tuck. It just takes putting in hard work and dedication until you are visibly fit. Here is a thread I posted a while ago, look through it and at some of the photos people responded with...they look amazing even with stretchmarks still there! However, if you are looking for more than just that, or to start right away: I have also heard that strivectin helps (at least with the color, although not so much the texture/wrinkles). As for the actual wrinkles, the cheapest and easiest thing to do is scrub them with a hard loofah or sponge in the shower, as the only actual way to begin to heal the stretched skin is to basically scratch off old skin for the purpose of stimulating new skin cell growth. The more expensive and effective method of doing this is to buy what is called medical crystals along with some specific type of oil that goes with them and begin using those. AMAZING before and after photos, I plan on doing this as soon as I have the extra money.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588084-can-i-achieve-visible-abs-with-my-post-baby-belly-pic
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me they haven't. They seem to show worse to me with the loss of weight.
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    I got mine through pregnancy, my girls are 24, 28 & 30 now and i still have the stretch marks. They are silvery and hardly noticeable, i dont even think about them. My husband loves them, he says they are war wounds of motherhood and i should be proud :heart: (and given that the children are his step children, that means alot)
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been using Bio-oil for a few months, cost wise it's not so bad and my stretch marks are fading slowly, they're also not reddish colored anymore :)

like everyone else said, the way to go is to :

moisturize
    stay hydrated
    exfoliate
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Get a high waisted bikini bottom, retro 50's style. They're really cute, you can find them on Etsy and have them custom made.

Your stretch marks are there for life. I have them on my thighs, they are a paler version of my skin color. New stretch marks can be treated with cream but old ones are there to stay.
  • Sinz2011
    Sinz2011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I woudl suggest strength training as a part of your wieght loss. It helps restore the skin as muscle builds up. Ive seen the difference and less saggy skin.
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They'll never go away for good. They're scar tissue. But I do believe that some people have some tips on how to fade them.

Also? Wear a bikini whenever you damn feel like it. It's your body and you're only gonna get to be in it once. You shouldn't hide it away after all the hard work you've done!

If anyone is close enough to see your stretch marks, they'll probably also be close enough for you to smack 'em in the face for minding them.

This :laugh:
  • ehanson09
    ehanson09 Posts: 4
    Options
    39+ lbs (weigh in tomorrow!) down and i feel like my stretch marks are starting to fade....granted i still have a long long way to go, i still feel like they are slowly becoming less noticable. And i had BAD ones, on my shoulders, on my belly, upper arms, back, and even on my breasts. I was over 350 lbs at my highest and now have almost broken the 3 barrier, im hoping they keep getting less and less noticable too!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long you've had stretch marks. If they're purple/reddish, they may fade away with time (and perhaps vitamin E to help). However, if they've already scarred (turned a silvery color), they are there for good and there is nothing you can do.

I've got them on my upper thighs and will always wear board shorts to the beach. :(
  • cheermom614
    cheermom614 Posts: 97
    Options
    Stretch marks are like battle scars. Don't be ashamed of them let that negativity affect your attitude. You have worked hard and the stretch marks are part of life.
    I've had two kids and with my second I gained 80 pounds! After two years of my lifestyle change (exercise 6 days a week/healthy diet/positive self talk) I have a 6 pack....and stretch marks and I don't hesitate to wear my bikini! You shouldn't either!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!