Constant hunger...does it ever end?

Options
So I did MFP last summer and was very successful. But I let myself go over the winter/spring as I was so busy with school and work that I just didn't care to count calories. But now I'm back on and ready to get to my goal weight.

This is my 4th day counting calories and I just feel like I never stop feeling hungry. I feel like I never quench my hunger and always want more. Is this just my body adjusting to the fewer calories? Will it become less prevalent as I keep doing this? I'm feeling a little discouraged.

Replies

• BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    How many calories are you cutting?To lose about a .5-1lb a week you should be at 500 calories below what you are burning. Also that feeling is your body reacting to cutting calories you body does not like it so it is trying to make you eat.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think you just get used to it after a while. Or, convince yourself that it is helpful. For me, cravings are worse than hunger!
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Alot of time we feel hungry and we are actually thirsty. Try drinking a glass of water when you feel like you need to eat and see if the urge goes away.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry there are two things that could be going on..

1. you are not eating enough
    2. you are not eating high quality foods that keep you full. Think of eating protein (chicken, beef, fish, eggs) first and foremost and cut down on processed stuff (i.e. things in a box like cereal, pasta, bread, chips). Veggies are good at keeping you full too.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    how many calories are you consuming? what are you eating?
  • Smead3369
    Smead3369 Posts: 32
    Options
    Chewing gum helps me A LOT with the hunger feeling. It usually does tide me over. My favorites to chew are the Ice Breaker Ice Cubes in Bubble Breeze, Cool Lemon or Peppermint.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough. Studies show that hunger is a direct result of not consuming enough food. :wink:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    The beginning is tough when you are cutting back on your food/calories. However, hang in there. Your stomach will shrink and you'll adjust. Give your body (and mind) time!

Keep that will power strong! You CAN do it.

Also, maybe snack on veggies....drink lots of water.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! You will start to learn which foods really fill you up. You'll eat those foods more often and find that you feel hungry less often. You will come to a point where you are just putting in your food for the day and you still have some calories left over. I just bumped my caloric intake from 1200-1400 and I'm having a hard time eating enough!
    Are you snacking throughout the day? My day goes as follows and I find that I'm rarely hungry.
    Breakfast (between 7-9am)
    AM Snack (between 9:30-10:30am)
    Lunch (between 11:30am-12:00pm)
    PM Snack (between 2:30-3:00pm)
    Pre-workout snack (this is usually a protein bar, between 4:30-5:30pm)
    Dinner (between 7:00-8:00pm)

I don't get hungry again unless I'm up past midnight.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I first started on here. I upped the protein in my diet and that helped me a lot. Good luck!!
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    if you are hungry there are two things that could be going on..

1. you are not eating enough
    2. you are not eating high quality foods that keep you full. Think of eating protein (chicken, beef, fish, eggs) first and foremost and cut down on processed stuff (i.e. things in a box like cereal, pasta, bread, chips). Veggies are good at keeping you full too.
    This. I know I'm hungry if I eat a lot of cereal and breads but if I eat more protein and veggies, I'm not as hungry even if I eat the same amount of calories.

@OP: What type of foods are you eating?
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and keep healthy snacks (protein bars, energy bars) around. At every meal make sure you eat protien. it will make you fuller longer.
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    drink more water and get more fiber
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! You will start to learn which foods really fill you up. You'll eat those foods more often and find that you feel hungry less often. You will come to a point where you are just putting in your food for the day and you still have some calories left over. I just bumped my caloric intake from 1200-1400 and I'm having a hard time eating enough!
    Are you snacking throughout the day? My day goes as follows and I find that I'm rarely hungry.
    Breakfast (between 7-9am)
    AM Snack (between 9:30-10:30am)
    Lunch (between 11:30am-12:00pm)
    PM Snack (between 2:30-3:00pm)
    Pre-workout snack (this is usually a protein bar, between 4:30-5:30pm)
    Dinner (between 7:00-8:00pm)

I don't get hungry again unless I'm up past midnight.

I agree...smaller meals more often helps too!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It's just like quitting something....you'll be alright with willpower and water :D
  • amberchrista
    amberchrista Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I'm eating 1,200 calories a day. I drink only water or tea, so that helps keep me full some of the time. From reading your posts I think it's a combination of my body panicking because I'm not eating as much as I used to and also that I'm not eating a lot of foods filled with protein. I need to go buy some protein bars and also eat less bread/chips/sweets.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound boring, but I buy Fresh Express Salads *sweet butter* kind and will bring one
    to work and keep in my littile lunch bag. Then if I'm hungry, I grab a bunch out of there and munch. Some
    time I will drizzle a teeny bit of olive oil on it and some sea salt. Its delicious and filling. I dont care if
    I need to eat the whole bag - has fiber and fills me up in no time

:)
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I'm eating 1,200 calories a day. I drink only water or tea, so that helps keep me full some of the time. From reading your posts I think it's a combination of my body panicking because I'm not eating as much as I used to and also that I'm not eating a lot of foods filled with protein. I need to go buy some protein bars and also eat less bread/chips/sweets.

Also, just a suggestion, if you notice you start to plateau or gain weight, you may want to try upping your caloric intake. I did and it's helped. I'm not saying it will work for you, but many people on here don't go by what MFP says, they use other calorie counters and eat more calories and it seems to work.
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options

1200 calories might be too little for your body so that could be why you're hungry all the time. I had been eating ~1000-1200 for two months and while I wasn't hungry all the time, it definitely took a lot of willpower to stay that low. I have been doing my own research (this link is hugely helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories ) and have decided to raise my intake to 1550 since I started lifting. I'll probably raise it more as time goes on.

Basically, 1200 IS NOT THE MAGIC NUMBER THAT IT IS MADE OUT TO BE.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Its the carbs in many of our diets that continue a vicious cycle on our minds and bodies. Processed snacks, bread, and sweets should be cut out as a whole, even if its temporary, to clear out your body and detox. You may be on a sugar overload diet, (or carb)- sugar is in everything processed, This includes honey, molasses, corn syrup, cornstarch, modified food starch, dextrose, polydextrose, maltodextrin, etc.. There are some great books out there, and resources- Sugar Busters is one of my favorites.
    I had done low carb eating for years, but have also learned, not all low carb plans are equal, many are loaded with too much fat and sodium. Fresh is always best when shopping for food. Anyway, the reason for this long comment, I had the same problem, felt hungry all the time.......til I cut out the sugar, the potatoes, the flour, the corn (and products made of these). If I really want something, I have it, but, I am trying every day to keep making wiser choices.