Polycystic Ovaries & Under Active Thyroid - long read

Options
Hello All,

My appendix burst about 3 years ago and whilst in hospital I ballooned in weight, which I thought was just down being pumped full of liquids. I was about 17 stone when I went in and 19 and a half when I left. I assumed (wrongly) that this was just water retention and that it would sort itself out eventually. I lost a few pounds but that was about it.

After trying to lose weight for two year without much success I finally went to my doctors to see if they could assist me in any way (other than the "don't-eat-so-much-and-take-the-stairs-instead-of-the-lift" comments) and I was asked to take some blood tests to see if there was anything going on chemically.

Turns out I have an under active thyroid (which I thought might be the case as my mother has it and I've been told it's hereditary). I am now on 150mg of Levothyroxine a day and am still being monitored to see if this is the correct level.

After my operation I also stopped having periods (initially I was told that this was just my body getting over the surgery) and in the following year I only had 2 in total. My male doctor advised that it was due to my weight and that I should "not-eat-so-much-and-do-some-exercise". I went back a few months later for some more tests and was told that I have polycystic ovary syndrome (so rather than I one off case I will have them repeatedly).

Not only am I upset at the effects that this may have on my future fertility, I am also finding it incredibly hard to lose any weight. I am watching what I eat (except on downer days) and exercising but I am really finding it difficult to lose anything.

Is there anyone out there who has been through similar experiences or that has any additional advise that might help me out?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this if you made it this far down!!

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I believe that women with PCOS tend to have insulin resistance symptoms. Talk with your doctor, but I believe cutting your carbs down to 50-100 net per day will help you lose weight. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months and regained my fertility--got pregnant 6 weeks in.

**net carbs are carbs--- fiber and sugar alcohols**

** I was never diagnosed as infertile, but I was not using birth control for 16 months. I got pregnant after losing 15 pounds and beginning to reverse my hyperinsulemia***
  • BazookozCircus
    Options
    Thank you - it's so nice to hear a positive outcome. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    yes, there is!! I have been back low carb for 10 days now, and I have lost 6 pounds---that is almost DOUBLE what I lost in 3 months of working out exactly the same.

Low carb does not mean low flavor. For breakfast I have 2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, a high fiber tortilla, and sometimes a slice of cheese. For lunch I try and have a BIG salad--3 cups of lettuce, cucumbers, cheese, and 2-3 oz of protein. For dinner I have a portion of whatever the fam is having--one day it was chicken parm and noodles ( i measured the noodles to make sure I wasn't serving too much). I try not to exceed 100 net carbs a day....
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I take spironolactone (sp?). Let me tell you losing weight is a challenge and with having PCOS makes it tougher! But, it is so do-able! I lost 20lbs and still going :) It would take me forever to get pregnant but I did...3 beautiful kids 20,7,4. I agree cutting the carbs help! along with cutting sugars and exercise. I wish you good luck!
  • kablackburn
    kablackburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also and half my thyroid has been removed. Weight has been difficult for me to lose as well. My endocrinologist has me on metformin for the PCOS and synthroid for the thyroid issues. I lost 20 lbs a few years ago and was able to get pregnant (even after being told I would never be able to have a baby). I have put the weight back on, in part due to the thyroid issues. I joined MFP today, hoping that tracking my habits will help me. My doctor has told me that re-losing those 20 pounds should help the PCOS symptoms. She said I should expect it will take longer than other people who don't have PCOS and thyroid issues. Good luck on your journey!
  • BazookozCircus
    Options
    Thanks so much - I was on Metformin for a while but it didn't agree with me so I was told to stop taking it. I'm definitely going to cut the carbs down, with all the success stories it's got to be worth trying!

Thanks again and good luck!!

:bigsmile:
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Thanks so much - I was on Metformin for a while but it didn't agree with me so I was told to stop taking it. I'm definitely going to cut the carbs down, with all the success stories it's got to be worth trying!

Thanks again and good luck!!

:bigsmile:

I think it will help you. My doctor explained it by telling me that insulin is the *key* that unlocks the cellular doors for the calories/energy to get through. Insulin resistant individuals have a *defective* key so the doors won't unlock...so your body produces more and more *keys* in an effort to unlock the doors. Going low carb basically weeds out the defective keys so you don't end up with a HUGE keyring...does this make any sense?
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    There is a group of us here who all have PCOS called PCOSers Unite. You can find us by going to groups and searching. Best of luck to you.