New to Raw Food & Looking for Friends

Options
This last week, I finally made the transition to Raw Food. I've never felt better, I am really loving it!
I am having problems getting my calories. I've even tried eating whole avocados, but I tend to walk a lot so it just kinda cancels it out. The high calorie fruit that I usually see suggested are Mangoes and I HATE mangoes.
I've never known anyone who was raw, so I don't really have anyone to ask. I have SO many questions!
I'm trying to stay strictly really raw foods-Like fruits, nuts, and veg. I plan on eventually branching out but I'm just starting out on this new lifestyle so I don't want to overwhelm myself with trying to get too fancy until I am more settled and comfortable with it.
I'd like to make some raw foodie friends who would like to adopt a newbie!
Or should I call a Raw food newbie a Sprout? :tongue:

Replies

• DevotedWife
    DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled in raw food since 2005. I've gone 30 days or more of 100% raw at times before returning to my normal vegetarian eating. I'm feeling the desire to eat raw again, and I will begin Ani's 15 -Day Fat Blast soon. I think it would be great for you as an intro to raw foods. That's the title of a book by Ani Phyo. I'd love for you to join me, but to address one of your concerns...most raw foodist aren't concerned with calories. Others could probably explain it better, but the basic thought is that the foods you're eating are so nutrient dense that the calories aren't as big of a deal. Are you feeling badly, or are you concerned about the calories b/c you are just used to calorie counting?

By the way, some of the recipes in the book do contain mangoes, but there are many that don't. The recipes are simple, and that's something that I like since many raw food recipes have lots of ingredients and steps. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I've read positive reviews regarding how most of them taste.
  • albatet
    albatet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was raw pretty much 80% of last year - I'd juice for a week, go raw for several weeks to several months, and then bring in some cooked food before doing a juice fast again. It's a great lifestyle, and I really enjoyed it, but truthfully it's hard to manage in the long term. Eating outside of the home is a challenge and most people have a hard time accepting the reality that you've stopped consuming the types of food that most people eat at every meal every day. Even ordering salads was a problem sometimes.

That said, juicing and/or going raw a great way to 'cleanse' and 'detox' and just get back to basics in terms of nutrition and being aware of what you consume. That's what I loved about it.

I'd love to join anyone doing a brief challenge - I could use the support, too. I am up about 20 pounds compared to last year and I need an intervention of sorts!
  • ajimaBWLW
    ajimaBWLW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was raw for 3 months several years ago. Never felt better than that. I was a new woman. Lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I'm slowly returning to the raw food lifestyle up 20 pounds from when I started raw the first time. Glad to see a few other ladies are on raw too. I'm usually 80-90% raw. Sometimes I use salad dressings that aren't raw, eat pickles, etc. It's become more about health and wanting to feel good for the long term. It's a lifestyle change.
  • DevotedWife
    DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was raw for 3 months several years ago. Never felt better than that. I was a new woman. Lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I'm slowly returning to the raw food lifestyle up 20 pounds from when I started raw the first time. Glad to see a few other ladies are on raw too. I'm usually 80-90% raw. Sometimes I use salad dressings that aren't raw, eat pickles, etc. It's become more about health and wanting to feel good for the long term. It's a lifestyle change.

It looks like most of us (who have posted in this topic) view eating raw in the same way. It's great to see you all posting.
  • KStyleFitness
    KStyleFitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a raw food challenge for June! I have dabbled with it on and off for awhile and really like when I go 100% raw. Not just the weight loss, but overall feeling and looking great! Who's in?
  • TheKetoChica
    TheKetoChica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a Raw challenge for the summer and would love to join forces.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat primarily raw as well. I did for a bit years ago but I found it was very difficult to keep the momentum up.
    Right now I guess I'd assume that 60-80% on what I make myself is raw although I still will eat traditionally if I go out with friends or family. Since I'm also transitioning to vegan after years away from it, I'm allowing myself to keep cooked legumes for now just while I get use to incorporating different kinds of protein.

So far, I feel awesome. I got some fun "cook" books for ideas so that's been quite motivational as well.