BMR / TDEE / WHAT???

Options
I am so confused. I used a calculator online and found that my bmr is 1704 and my tdee is 2045 (for a sedentary lifestyle). I'm 5'3" and 200lbs. What in the world does that mean? I am eating on average about 1200 calories a day. Is that not enough?

Replies

• xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    SEARCH THE THREADS!

1200 calories is NEVER enough.
  • a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options
    SEARCH THE THREADS!

1200 calories is NEVER enough.

I have. And I am confused. Hence, this post.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I used a calculator online and found that my bmr is 1704 and my tdee is 2045 (for a sedentary lifestyle). I'm 5'3" and 200lbs. What in the world does that mean? I am eating on average about 1200 calories a day. Is that not enough?

You need to eat about 1800 calories. For more info search the threads like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It means you use 2045 calories for your sedentary lifestyle, 1200 of them from food and 845 from your body reserves. At least in theory. It's probably 2045 +/- 100 so not exact.

As you have a fair bit to lose the higher deficit of 845 ish should be sustainable for some weeks. Approximate weight loss around 1.5 lbs/week from that deficit.

Some would argue a lower deficit is better - perhaps 20% so eating 1600. You could try that for a few weeks if you're not happy on 1200.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Don't over-analyze this.

Just eat above your BMR and below your TDEE.

MFP will let you input any silly numbers you want. It's a dumb tool, and it is going to try to help you get to your goal. YOU need to take some control and not eat below your BMR.

You must have set your Goals to "Lose 2 pounds a week" and "Sedentary."
  • ImChar
    ImChar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You should eat for the body size you want to be. Set your target weight and calculate how much you should eat based on that. It takes more calories to maintain more weight.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories you need to just lay around and breath. All other activities consume more calories and needs to be accounted for. Never go below your BMR! Your Total daily allowance is an adjustment for your activity level and how much weight you plan to lose. If you want to be hungry all day long but lose fast, then pick a number closer to your BMR, but be sure to eat the majority of your exercise calories back.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ok yea, Im a little lost as well. My BMR is 1744.5 So I should eat this amount of calories?

My TDEE is 2992 I should stay below this?
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    OK so have been on here for over a year and I have to admit that i am about to ask a stupid question but what is a TDEE other than a friend sname on my FL
  • a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    BMR = calories needed for very basic body functions like breathing and pumping your heart. What you would burn if you were in a coma essentially.

TDEE = calories needed for very basic body functions, daily life (like walking to/from car, brushing teeth, eating/digestion), and exercise

Always eat your BMR. Eat a 15-20% less than TDEE for sustainable weight loss.

Check out the group Eat More to Weight Less.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

generally if you eat above BMR and below TDEE you will lose. 1200 is low, generally it appears when a 2lb goal and a sedentary lifestyle is selected when setting your goals.

Unless you are sat / laid down all day you should not use sedentary, go for lightly active. Also try to exercise on top of that, it will help you lose inches faster than just 'dieting', and will allow you to eat at a healthier cal level.

I am 201lbs / 5'5 / BMR 1578 / TDEE 2618. I eat 2000 total / net 1550 and lose 1.5 per week.
    To lose the same amount at sedentary I would have to eat 1277, for lightly active I would have to eat 1572. Ive done the sticking to 1200 cals with and without exercise many times over the last 15 years and the weight ALWAYS goes back on, so this time I am doing it a more sustainable way :-)
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    www.fat2fitradio.com use their military body fat calculator to determine body fat percentage. Then use the bmr calculator to determine your bmr with your body fat percentage. On that will determine your bmr, but follow the Katch-McArdle formulat to be more accurate. Tdee is based on activity and that should tell you how much calories you should consume for your activity level