broken jaw - help!

Options
ladylonglegs21
ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
Hey -- I just broke my jaw and got it wired shut yesterday... need some food ideas! Ensure is getting old fast, but I'm not quite thrilled or "ready" to just stick a regular meal in the blender and eat with a straw... just doesn't sound appealing you know? Need to get protein in - but I don't know which kind of the powder to buy or anything. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated - thanks!!!!

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    wow. that really sucks- literally (see what i did there! i made a funny :-). please don't be offended.)

i'm not sure about protein powders and the like. i've never used them, but i think that the instructions are on the packaging. so if you can work out how much protein you need you'd be able to get it from the powders i'd imagine.
    i also give my kids dissolvable multivits- you can get them in the supermarket. i'd suggest it might be useful to have some of those just while you work out what you can eat (or drink).
    and soup. you can make some really delish soups. put some legumes in there and all your veg and you'd be pretty good to go.

sorry i can't be of more help. i'm sure people on here will have far better suggestions than me! but good luck with it.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Soups, go on a mad Google search, there are thousands of soup recipes out there, that are designed to be eaten pureed. For more protein, go a protein shake. Also Smoothies would be a good choice for food, you can put all sorts of healthy things in Smoothies.

ETA : just ask at your local heath store (or have someone ask for you) in regards to a protein shake, that's what I did and I'm very pleased with what was reccomended, I also advise vanilla flavour as it can be mixed with anything, and get a small tub in case its gross!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Stew,
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had jaw correction surgery on Friday, nowhere near as long a recovery time as you, but I've mainly been eating soup, soup and soup. Maybe some yoghurt. I have only been able to chew since yesterday, and it's still a little hard to open my mouth wide enough to get food in. My dairy is open but it's not much I haven't already told you.

Maybe milk for protein? Or some sort of shake thing?
  • ladylonglegs21
    Options
    Thanks! I've upgraded to ensure, milk & cottage cheese blended together, and soup. Plus water and juices.
  • ladylonglegs21
    Options
    I could write a cookbook for this!! The little book the docs gave me with ideas didn't help lol. I just have no idea how to go about getting it published...?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Soup is a good idea, and there are soooo many different kinds out there! Go explore!
  • missdalrymple
    Options
    I broke my jaw nine years ago and have had three surgeries since then with another one coming so I can definitely sympathize with you! Since the beginning of the year, I have been using the protein powder Endurox, specially designed to help re-heal muscles as well, which would only be an added plus! I always liked experimenting with taking normalish food and making it into some blended form...it takes creativity but it beats eating soup after soup after soup. hehe Milkshakes and yogurt were always great for me, and it sounds dorky but jello is really good for your bones as well so if you enjoy jello, see if you can give it a whirl! I wish you all the best!
  • jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey! Stinks about the jaw. I broke mine about 16 years ago! Wow - makes me feel old! Anyway, I used the ensure, a lot of the "smooth" soups, extra milk & milkshakes, plain yogurt or would blend the fruit ones up to change the flavor a little, mashed potatoes, jello, pudding, really anything creamy. Probably about a month in, I was sooo wanting pizza cause everyone else in the house was eating it and actually tried it in a blender!! It wasn't bad! Then I experimented a little with other foods like rice and broccoli. But, just make sure you have it thin enough! Good luck!