Spinach Smoothie

Options
curvykim78
curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
I bought some spinach, but I'm not sure what to use to make a good smoothie with it. I don't like greek yogurt, so what else can I do? Thanks! :)

Replies

• morganjackson
    Options
    what about encorporating creme fresh light or natural yoghurt?
  • ERINLEE719
    ERINLEE719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try regular ff yogurt.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    you might not like this idea either but TRUST ME ON THIS ONE :)

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1 TBSP pistachio, chocolate, or vanilla sugar free pudding (whatever you want)
    ice
    1 cup water
    couple packets sweetener
    couple drops mint extract

blend with your spinach, and you will have a beautiful minty green shake that will be more like a milkshake than a smoothie and some protein powder too if you have it and want more protein
  • megarrett87
    megarrett87 Posts: 30
    Options
    1 banana, 1/2 cup frozen mangos, 1/2 cup frozen peaches, a handful of spinach, a little bit of water. No yogurt required. Delicious!
  • sisterluk
    sisterluk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have a green smoothie every morning, it's basically Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothie (recipes follows). I sometimes make swap (e.g., peaches for pears, kale for spinach) and add berries, hemp seeds, flaxseed oil. Trust me, it's DELICIOUS!

Add the water and lettuce/spinach to the blender first. I have a two-speed Oster beehive blender that works great for these smoothies. :bigsmile:

Ingredients
    -1 1/2 cups water

-1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
    -3-4 stalks organic celery

-1/2 head of a large bunch, or 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
    -1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    -1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    -1 organic banana

-Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon

Optional
    -1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems okay)

-1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay)

Directions

Add the water and chopped head of romaine to the blender. Starting the blender at low speed, mix until smoothi. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple and pear. Add the cilantro and parsley, if you are choosing to add them. Add the banana and lemon juice last.

The fruit and lemon cut right though the grass taste. Feel free to mix and match different greens and fruits, as these two specific food groups combine well.
  • sisterluk
    sisterluk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    p.s. I avoid dairy b/c it slows down the works.
  • hcemer
    hcemer Posts: 3
    Options
    I make smoothies with spinach (2 oz), 6 oz of OJ, 1 banana, 1 serving of any frozen fruit and 1/3 cup of greek yogurt You could replace the greek yogurt with regular yogurt. I honestly can't taste the greek yogurt in the smoothie. It tastes mostly like the fruit.
  • jlshaw77
    jlshaw77 Posts: 23
    Options
    my basic recipe is 1 c almond milk, 1 T chia seeds, 1 T nut butter, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1/2 c frozen blueberries & 1 banana ... about 375 calories. But they are very easy to adjust the calories & flavors for your taste. Sometimes I take the berries out and add some chocolate protein powder ... .also excellent.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Spinach, cucumber, apple, the juice from an ugli fruit and a little water, makes a really nice and light, summery, refreshing smoothie.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a spinach smoothie most mornings now. Sometimes I use two scoops of a soy based meal replacement (vanilla flavored),
    two handfuls of baby spinach, 1/2 green apple, 6or7 ice cubes and a cup of water. If I don't use the meal replacement, I use a TBS of flax meal and a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.