Running - breathing - nose or mouth?!

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running is the only time I could be called a mouth breather. :laugh: :laugh:
  • willismack2
    willismack2 Posts: 84
    Options
    “Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears if you can” - Lydiard
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So i'm trying to sort out my breathing for running. Should i be inhaling AND exhaling through my mouth?! i keep reading conflicting things!

Or is it in through my mouth and out through my nose or in throught my nose and out through my mouth?! confused!!!

I've got that you need to breathe from your belly rather than chest and i will try and do that on tonight's run to see if that helps my stitch! xxx

For advice on how to get rid of a stitch, check out runnersworld.com - it's a great source of info.
  • atomicspud
    atomicspud Posts: 2
    Options
    When I'm doing more endurance work, I breathe both in and out through my nose to keep me in a lower-intensity-zone. When I pour the beans on, so to speak, I use both nose and mouth.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Breathe in and out through your nose, mouth, ears, and any other way that you can get the air in.

This is what you should be doing.
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like Nike - just do it:wink:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I inhale through my nose, exhale through mouth. It's the only way I can control the breathing.

usually this. Or at least when I'm having a good jog/run. When I'm having one of those "the whole thing is a struggle" kind of runs **** hits the fan and whatever breathing goes.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I inhale through my nose, exhale through mouth. It's the only way I can control the breathing.

Same for me!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone can breathe through their nose at any "real" exertion, but maybe i'm just weird. I HAVE to breath through my mouth, both inhale and exhale.

IMO, a lot of running, especially early on, is about finding a rhythm. When I'm going well, my stride is in sync with my breathing, 2 strides per inhale, 2 per exhale.

This is exactly what I do... although every now and then, when I am really pushing my limits, I'll take a few breaths IN though my nose, and OUT through my mouth. The reason being sometimes this can slow your heart rate... I just find it allows me to push through hard spots for several strides before returning to my usual respiratory pattern. I think learning how to breathe while running is very important.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured out how to continually breathe in rhythm, but from what i read on runnersworld.com, breathe through your mouth, simply for more air each breath.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of anaerobic running, so I try not to breath at all. :D
  • saltyraisins
    saltyraisins Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It takes longer for air to travel through your nose than your mouth... when I'm running I need air ASAP.

Mouth for the win!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So i'm trying to sort out my breathing for running. Should i be inhaling AND exhaling through my mouth?! i keep reading conflicting things!

Or is it in through my mouth and out through my nose or in throught my nose and out through my mouth?! confused!!!

I've got that you need to breathe from your belly rather than chest and i will try and do that on tonight's run to see if that helps my stitch! xxx

When you get out of breath, you cannot just breath through your nose, you would not take in enough oxygen to keep going.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thanks SO much everyone.

I went on my run last night...and i really focussed on my breathing...i normally get a stitch around the 4k mark...and i got up to about 6k before i had a bit of a stitch but i think that's where i was getting worn out (not long been running!) and once i took a few deep breaths it went!

It really did help me so much everyones advice so thank you xxx
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Mouth here - during a jog :wink:
  • lauren12334
    Options
    I've heard that the best way is in your nose out your mouth, but I find that a bit unnatural so I just breathe in and out through the mouth
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Mouth here - during a jog :wink:

hehe yep that's what i did last night. realised i've been running with my mouth closed which obviously has not been helping!! xxx