Why is maintaining weight loss harder than losing weight?

Options
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've heard so many people say this (on tv) and wondered why people feel this is true. I seem to have lost and gained the same 10 lbs. a lot when I was younger, now I've got quite a few more to lose. I REALLY don't want to gain it back after working so hard.

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people who have lost everything they want, and then because they're at their goal weight they start eating the same crap they did before. Then they gain everything back and whine because it has all come back plus some.

I think there are people that just don't make this a life style change. Insead they 'diet' and then go right back to what they were doing. If you are committed to making this your new lifestyle, then you have nothing to worry about. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think that most often refers to crash or elimination diets. It's easy to cut out a food group or eat very low calories for a period to achieve a result. But once that result has been achieved in a too strict manner, the end result is usually to stop being strict and go back to old eating habits, which leads to weight gain.

It's when people look at their diet as a short term thing, rather than a lifelong change.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    Because you have a different maintenance level when you're 30 pounds lighter. If you eat at maintenance, you will maintain your weight.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am working right now to find that balance. It's tough because all of a sudden you realize that you don't need to lose anymore to be comfortable so now it's looking to see what works.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Because people think the hard work ends when you reach goal. The effort just shifts. All the learning and tracking and figuring out what worked to lose becomes learning and tracking and figuring out what works to maintain.
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    These answers make a lot of sense. I've thought that I would need to stay on MFP for an extended period after reaching my goal (still another 30lbs to go.) I'm going to need a LOT more healthy recipes! lol
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    because generally people go on a 'diet' where they reduce cals too far, which slows metabolism and the body then burns less cals - they have basically trained their bodies to survive on less food. When they get to goal weight and end the 'diet' and try to eat normally, this is more than the body now needs so the weight goes back on.

Thats why its so important to go for slower loss along with exercise (especially weights). The exercise maintains muscle mass so your body burns more calories, and by eating at a higher level to start with, you dont feel deprived and there is no 'end' to the diet, its just a healthy way of eating that you can keep up forever :-)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Basically repeating what others have said before, but you could call me "Mr. Yo-Yo" for the number of times I've lost and regained the weight, and there are two basic reasons for it.

First, when I'd lose weight in the past, it was about losing weight. I had a goal, and when the goal was reached, I'd go back to my old eating habits. Surprise, surprise, I'd also go back to my old weight!

Second, when I've lost weight in the past, it was all about losing weight FAST. I never took the time to learn to CONTROL my weight by doing things like eating back exercise calories (hey, exercise is supposed to speed up weight loss, why would I eat MORE, am I right?) and losing weight at a specific and controllable pace. So when I reached my "goal", I weighed less but had no clue where to go from there. Plus I was @#$@#$@# STARVING from having worked so hard to lose all that weight. So I'd eat extra in the beginning (when I was tired because I had been underfeeding myself for so long) and pack the pounds on rapidly.

Using MFP as it is designed to be used means you lose the weight slowly, and with a controlled deficit, which means at the end you've had this great learning opportunity to learn about controlling, not just willy-nilly reducing, your caloric intake.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Let me lose first then I will worry about the rest. LOL
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've never been as determine as I am now to lose weight, I'm not yet to my weight loss goal but I really believe that the reason people have a harder time maintaining is because they only have a weight loss goal, not a life time goal. It's a life change not a "until I hit my goal" when I get to my weight loss goal, I have other goals, and I'll never not have goals because there is always room to improve.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    These answers make a lot of sense. I've thought that I would need to stay on MFP for an extended period after reaching my goal (still another 30lbs to go.) I'm going to need a LOT more healthy recipes! lol

You might want to. That's my plan. I'm going to stick around for at least an additional month and keep tracking calories weighing in daily and watching to make sure my maintenance plan is doing what it should. Then I'll probably drop back to weekly weigh-ins and put a mark on the scale that says "IF DIAL GOES TO HERE, START TRACKING AGAIN!"
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Because people think the hard work ends when you reach goal. The effort just shifts. All the learning and tracking and figuring out what worked to lose becomes learning and tracking and figuring out what works to maintain.

This is it exactly. I've been maintaining since September 2010, and I don't have any intentions to stop monitoring the foods that I eat. I'll be here at MFP for the foreseeable future!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you look at all the long term studies regarding weight loss and maintaining it, basically everything you learn to lose it is wrong when it comes to maintaining loss.

It is said that weight loss is 80% diet. That is, get the intake under control and you'll shed fat and get relatively thin, exercise or no exercise.

The flipside is true for maintenence, that maintaining your loss is 80% exercise. If you look at the data in that big loss and maintain database (I forget the name of it), the common thread is that an extremely high % exercise an hour or more per day.

People that lose it without doing any exercise are almost certain to gain it all back.

There is a ridiculous overfocus on diet when it comes to weight loss because the whole is not considered; by the time people near their fat loss goals they should be in sufficient physical shape for heavy exercise, developed a high exercise lifestyle for themselves, and have discovered a passion for exercise so that the drive is not easily extinguished. Any weight loss plan that does not work toward these goals is an utter waste of time and destined to fail, maybe not right away, but weight rebound is a virtual certainty.

Very, very, very few people can train themselves how to live not on a diet. Thus either diet the rest of your life, which almost all will fail at after they are "done", or develop the exercise habits to blunt the effects of the less than optimal decisions that are made when people are not strictly controlling their intake.

Lets not forget, many fat people's ideal of being that skinny person that just sits around all day is a pipe dream. These people may have existed when younger, where growing bodies induced nontypical effects for adults (most teenage boys that are hardgainers will not be by the time they are in their mid 20's, speaking from experience), but there are very, very few adults who maintain a slim figure without frequent exercise that don't either have an eating/psychological issue of some sort or basically live on diet to diet trying to get that last X lbs for decades.
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of your input! This gives me a lot of insight and a lot to think about.