Is it possible to lose body fat by only doing cardio?

Options
People say that to lose body fat you need to mix cardio with weight training but is it possible to lose body fat by doing cardio only? Mixing weight training with cardio will probably get rid of body fat quicker but in the long run will cardio alone get rid of body fat?

Replies

• DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Body fat can be lost by just watching your food intake with no exercise at all.
  • BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    Only if you are burning more calories than you are eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This.

But keep in mind, that you will get to a point that you will probably need strength training. Especially if you want to get in a lower body fat range. BTW, why only stick with cardio?
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Short answer- yes. However, if you're not doing any weight/ strength training you'll be losing more muscle tissue as well. Add in some weights and you'll lose more body fay while preserving more of your muscles.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

^this.

but beware. too much cardio and not the correct amount of food = muscle atrophy along with fat loss.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Depends on a bunch of factors. An important one being how overfat you are currently.
    Do you care about muscle loss?
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Good question. What's the best way to strength train at home without expensive equipment?
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good question. What's the best way to strength train at home without expensive equipment?

Body weight exercises. There are a ton of them out there, and if you need any equipment, is usually just a table or a chair. Combine that with a few weights, maybe a kettlebell or medicine ball, and you have your own gym!
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They've been very helpfull and the reason why i want to do cardio only is because i've always found weightlifting to be very boring. Is there anyway to do strength training without lifting weights? I heard that swimming is a good strength training exercise so maybe i'll try that
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Push ups
  • BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    Look up exercises using a chair.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    People say that to lose body fat you need to mix cardio with weight training but is it possible to lose body fat by doing cardio only? Mixing weight training with cardio will probably get rid of body fat quicker but in the long run will cardio alone get rid of body fat?

you can lose fat hand washing my underwear .....ummm if your interested
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They've been very helpfull and the reason why i want to do cardio only is because i've always found weightlifting to be very boring. Is there anyway to do strength training without lifting weights? I heard that swimming is a good strength training exercise so maybe i'll try that
    If you find weight training boring, you are probably doing it wrong (not lifting enough weight). I am pretty sure it is physiologically impossible to be bored when lifting extremely heavy things. Some people just don't like it, but most people I have met who claim it is 'boring' are not actually weight training, they are just moving light objects around pointlessly.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The factual answer to your question is yes.

Weightloss in general is a balance of calories/nutrients in vs C/N out. You will lose more body fat by doing multiple types of exercises (not just cardio vs weight training, but different forms of each as well).

It's all about what you want to focus on. Getting down to a healthy weight (my goal) I do a majority of cardio because its
    -1. Easier for me
    -2. My employer is a lot more willing to allow for a run then for weight lifting

However, if you're looking for overall improved fitness (what mine will be in 30 lbs) You really need to diversify your exercise (just like your stock portfolio)...

Cardio will do major things for keeping your heart./lungs (cardiovascular system, duh) healthy with some improvement to muscles.

Weight Training will keep your muscles in better condition, stronger less likely to tear/etc, with some benefit to your cardiovascular system (not as much though)

In summary, yes, you can do cardio to lose some body fat, but you really need to mix it up to get overall 'healthier;
  • cindylou617
    cindylou617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21 lbs in the last 5-6 weeks with cardio alone. I am slowly adding weight training into the mix.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've lost 21 lbs in the last 5-6 weeks with cardio alone. I am slowly adding weight training into the mix.

Weight loss doesn't mean fat loss. You can lose muscle from lean body mass (tissue, muscle, etc..). This is even more prevalent in those who eat lower calories while doing a lot of cardio.

OP, it's also not just directed at plain weight training. You can do kettle bell classes, swimming, body pump, etc.. It's finding something that provides resistances for the body. Also, if your ultimate goal is to have a tight body and look lean and fit, then you need resistances training.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • dancecentral
    dancecentral Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes because I've done it before.. but I was also eating a low fat diet
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Do you belong to a gym? There are strength training classes like Body Pump, TRX suspension training, etc. Then there are also CrossFit gyms which combine a lot of strength training and calisthenic type of exercises that you might find less boring. But I agree with the other guy that quoted this saying try lifting really heavy and you will probably find that the challenge makes it more fun!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Short answer- yes. However, if you're not doing any weight/ strength training you'll be losing more muscle tissue as well. Add in some weights and you'll lose more body fay while preserving more of your muscles.
    and likely hang!!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600202-do-you-burn-fat-during-resistance-training

That was a very helpful and informative post from Ninerbuff. Check it out.