why does pop make me bloated?

Options
I had only been drinking water for 2 weeks and I decided to have 2 cans of coke yesterday.

Now today my stomach is extremely bloated.

Giving up pop has been very difficult for me since AIG had been drinking up to 2L per day for nearly 8 months.

I still crave it and have banned my boyfriend from drinking it because I find it hard to resist.

So, I was wondering...

Is it addictive and what is it that I am craving from it? (Eg. Sugar, caffeine)

And why does it make me so bloated? My waist is literally 2 inches bigger than the day before..

Replies

• arisbella805
    Options
    I gave up soda once for lent, and I have not drank it in a while, but when I do drink it, I get gassy, like I burp alot. So I tend to not drink it, but I think it is probably the caffine? Try to stay away from it as much as possible...And I didnt know that it made people bloated!? I have never experienced that, or maybe I have and I just didnt notice it..but I just went on google and it said that soda bloats your stomach because of the gas, stick to water and healthy juices! Best of luck! :)
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is in it that causes the cravings for you but for me the caffeine is an addiction that cause headaches when I go through withdrawal and the artificial sweeteners cause me to crave sweets. I am constantly on and off the wagon with my diet coke addiction. When I am sitting in meetings all day or traveling I tend to drink more. When I am stressed it is the drug of my choice, my comfort food. But yes, they do make you feel bloated and blah - so why do we want it? I haven't figured that part out yet.
  • sisterluk
    sisterluk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Because it's full of chemicals that are inflammatory to your digestive system.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    probably because of the carbonated water!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Because it's full of CO2 bubbles?
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    FALSE
    Because it's full of chemicals that are inflammatory to your digestive system.

TRUE
    probably because of the carbonated water!
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Uh, yeah. Ignore caffeine / chemicals / whatever. Not saying those are exactly awesome - but at the end of the day, it's a carbonated beverage. Of course you'll bloat!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The sugar is probably causing the cravings. Don't drink it long enough and the cravings will go away.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    The sugar is probably causing the cravings. Don't drink it long enough and the cravings will go away.

I hope so, I did 12 days without, but I couldn't resist while I was at the movie theater.

Plus, I hate that they charge just as much for a bottle of water!

Next time ill come prepared ;)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    There's also a lot of sodium in soda, which could have you holding on to water, giving the bloated feeling.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    There's also a lot of sodium in soda, which could have you holding on to water, giving the bloated feeling.

^ this... crazy amounts of sugar and sodium in reg soda..

my personal fav is homemade soda. half a lemon squeezed, a scoop of stevia or a teaspoon of sugar no sodium sparkling water over ice...