Any Ladies Here Have IBS?

Options
i have ibs-c and i have been having the worst attacks recently.

question is what does ur diet look like?

i know i cant eat certain foods but i have not found what i can and cannot eat yet and its so frustrating.

Replies

• nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Its kinda hard to tell you whats good and easy and whats bad. It will be different for each person. For me, pasta and cheese get me pretty bad. I try to steer away from gluten and fatty foods. I can relate to the IBS attacks, they are horrible :(
  • jessw1823
    jessw1823 Posts: 24
    Options
    I do!! It has definitely been a struggle for me as well. About a month ago I removed soda, any carbonated drinks, fast food, anything greasy, and any artificial sugars completely from my diet. I also try to limit my dairy intake. It has been tough to get used to, but has really helped!
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    I have ibs-d. Anything creamy (lactose intolerant) or fried will bring it on but sometimes it seems so random. I had an episode last night after eating some spaghetti with sauce. Sometimes too much whole grain does it too. Since I really started watching what I eat and making healthier choices I have noticed a huge difference. Happens much less often. I still can't pin point all trigger foods even though I log everything I eat.
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    I avoid all sorts of pasta, bread, rice and almost anything with flour. I will have very small amounts of these things once and again, but mostly I avoid it, cause my system can't handle it.

I am not too good with cheese either, but I simply can't give it up. I am a vegetarian too, and I feel like I can't cut out another food group at this particular time.

I too struggle with what to eat. It's nice to hear from others in the same situation =)
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Just went to the Dr. i thought it was due to my period but turns out I have bowel issues. It was so painful i would pass out!!!

they put me on miralax for 2 months and a probiotic. i have no idea which foods are bad because i just started. I think i have probably always had it just never this bad.
  • Angelbinick21
    Angelbinick21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Anything fried or creamy is trouble for me. And recently, my obgyn diagnosed me with endometriosis - which he said causes the IBS to be more severe. Apparently the bowel is very near your reproductive organs, and with all those hormones sloshing around it churns everything up pretty bad. I just thought I had a nervous stomach! Anyway, I try to keep it bland - simple proteins and whole grains. One thing that helps is eating lots of fiber with my evening meal (broccoli especially.) This way I can start the next day very 'regular' ha!
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have IBS also and I can wake up feeling miserable and then not be able to eat all day. I cannot find a specific trigger food or foods so I have to take each bite/meal with caution. There are days were the pain is unbearable and others that I'm just extremely bloated and full feeling.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal has helped me realize patterns sooo much better! I have realized that sugary or carbonated things are evil, and give me terrible cramps, and I don't think I tolerate 'fake sugars' well either...grease is a big culprit aswell....
    I eat a 60-cal prune-pack and also drink PlumSmart juice daily... that has really been helping me so much, but being so unpredictable or achy makes exercise tough!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I thought I had IBS for years. So did my doctor. It wasn't until I went to a dietician that I figured out I don't have IBS, but gluten sensitivity. Since cutting out the gluten from my diet, I've notices a WORLD of difference. Although I will often suffer through the unpleasantness just so I can drink some beer. I love good beer.

But anyway, my diet consists basically of no starches (no bread, no pasta, no rice), and mostly just lean meats, veggies, and fruit. I'll add in a sweet potato here and there, but that's about it. It's kinda boring, but I feel about a million times better this way. My multi-vitamins also contain probiotics and I try to drink a Kombucha (loaded with probiotics) a few times a week.

Hope you find some relief, because I know how bad it can suck!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I recommend the book "Digestive Tuneup" by Dr. McDougall because it has a list of all the foods that help promote IBS. As many as 24% of American women are afflicted by IBS. It's essentially inflammation of the large intestine (colonitis). The causes could be anything from "a bacterial infection, a parasite, a virus, medications or even an allergic reaction to food or other substance." Some forms of IBS can be treated with the introduction of probiotics. Lactobacillus plantarum is one of the probiotics that you might wish to try. Some severe forms of chronic colonitis are incurable and even life threatening, so IBS is something that needs to be addressed very seriously. It might be a good idea to set up an appointment with your doctor to find out the cause of the discomfort. Then, pick up Dr. McDougall's book to find ways of treating the symptoms. Unfortunately, our medical system wants to prescribe dangerous drugs to treat colonitis and IBS. These drugs cause more problems than they solve. The bottom line is that dietary change is the key to defeating coloniitis and IBS. I hope that helps. Add me as a friend if you want more information.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    What exactly are the symptoms? I've always wondered if I have it? But I'm not sure what the symptoms are.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I take benebiotics because it has a whole range of probiotics that promote intestinal health. I also try to stay away from sugar which is a leading cause of IBS.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Sorry to hog the board. This will be my last post. The symptoms of IBS can include any of the following or a combination of abdominal pain, diarrhea, mucus, bleeding.

Here is the elimination diet:

Brown rice
    Taro
    Sweet potatoes
    Winter squash
    tapioca flour
    puffed rice
    asparagus
    artichokes
    beets
    beet greens, celery, kale, lettuce, spinach, string beans, summer squash, chard,
    cooked fruits (all food should be cooked) include apples, apricots, bananas, cherries, cranberries, papaya, peaches, plums, prunes

Condiments are salt
    Beverages are water

After one week, your symptoms should go away. Then you can gradually add items back to your diet one at a time. The new food should be eaten three times a day for 2-3 days to see if it causes a reaction.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hog the board. This will be my last post. The symptoms of IBS can include any of the following or a combination of abdominal pain, diarrhea, mucus, bleeding.

Brown rice
    Taro
    Sweet potatoes
    Winter squash
    tapioca flour
    puffed rice
    asparagus
    artichokes
    beets
    beet greens, celery, kale, lettuce, spinach, string beans, summer squash, chard,
    cooked fruits (all food should be cooked) include apples, apricots, bananas, cherries, cranberries, papaya, peaches, plums, prunes

Condiments are salt
    Beverages are water

After one week, your symptoms should go away. Then you can gradually add items back to your diet one at a time. The new food should be eaten three times a day for 2-3 days to see if it causes a reaction.

im switching brown rice with quinoa.

love bananas tho
  • andieb75
    andieb75 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes I do, I have IBS C. So bloating can be an issue for me. Other than artificial sweeteners and greasy foods, I am not too sure of triggers. Although raw fruits and vegis can be iffy. I just started juicing for better digestion but a know it does cut some fiber. Do you ever feel like you just can't win?
  • Snoodle22
    Snoodle22 Posts: 14
    Options
    I also have IBS. I've had it for years but I've never paid much attention to my trigger foods. I wish I had!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS -D yesterday (though we have suspected for awhile). Everything was making me go, it didn't seem to make a difference what I ate or didn't eat.

I know that dairy, anything greasy and red meats set me off, but even with cutting all those out I was still having issues. Now its time to figure it out I guess. My doctor was nice enough to give me meds to counteract the diarrhea though. I am hoping to go off the meds fairly soon and manage everything through diet, but I know how hard that can be.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Brown rice
    Taro
    Sweet potatoes
    Winter squash
    tapioca flour
    puffed rice
    asparagus
    artichokes
    beets

Condiments are salt
    Beverages are water

Mucus and bleeding can also point to much more serious problmes, and they should be checked by a doctor. Celiac disease and Crohns have those symptoms.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anything creamy, oily, thick. Sometimes cheese. But, I am NOT lactose intolerant nor do I have celiac disease. I also had a horrible intrusive procedure to check if I had other issues.. and no. Bleeding could be fissures. But, visit a gastro doctor to discuss. I was given a prescription for Bentyl to take before I eat meals that I know will hurt me. Also, I can take it if I start to get an attack and it reduces the symptoms.

I highly recommended getting tested for food allergies. Go to a gastro doc to discuss your symptoms. And taking a probiotic will certainly help with digestion. I take one sporadically, but it does make a difference. Make sure you are eating a fiber healthy diet.

I can't tell you how much I went through, only to find out there was nothing really wrong, so they dx'd me with IBS- the catchall. Trigger foods will vary for everyone, so it is best to try and keep a diary of what you ate before an attack came on. Also, stress is a significant trigger. I notice when I am more stressed, I have an attack. My attacks are thankfully far between as long as I watch what I eat, take probiotics and reduce stress :)
  • wcmyers74
    wcmyers74 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have customers that use Shakeology from BeachBody. I am a coach and it works! It is a one a day meal replacement. If you don't like it, you get all your money back. NO RISK. Check it out...www dot shakeology dot com/wcmyers3