Any cops that can help ease my nerves??

Options
rlmiller73190
rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
I got a ticket a few weeks ago for having no front license plate. I know I am at fault for this because my license plate was damaged during an accident. I was living in a state where I didn't require a front license plate, but now that I'm back in IL for a short time, I got slapped with a ticket. I have since mounted my damaged plate (all important aspects of the plate are in tact), taken a picture of the plate, and am going to court tonight to see what I can do. Is there any hope for me to have this waived since I am now in compliance with the law? I'll be getting new plates in July, and I am moving to FL in August, so I'll probably get Florida registration shortly thereafter.

Replies

• og8403
    og8403 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is your car registered in IL? I use to live in Chicago, and now I live in FL.
  • rlmiller73190
    Options
    Yessir, it is.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the who you get if you are trying to avoid a fine.
    I live in FL and know that the pinellas county traffic court goes very easy on people.
    A lot of times if you comply they will waive the fines, but I don't know how it is there.
  • og8403
    Options
    Well in IL its a requirement to have both front and rear plate. But since you were in a accident maybe you can use that as a deffense. I don't remember if they passed a law that you couldn't have your front plate inside your front windshield wedged in there.
  • rlmiller73190
    Options
    Thanks guys... this is my first ticket.. and I'm hoping to get it dismissed..
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options
    Plead not guilty and state your case. Crying wouldn't hurt.
  • og8403
    Options
    Good luck with everything!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options

Crying will just peeve most cops and judges off. They have seen it 100's of times and most find it a childish tactic. Act like an adult.

As for the OP, it will totally depend on who you get in court. Some might wave the fine since you are in compliance and some might still make you pay it.
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options

Crying will just peeve most cops and judges off. They have seen it 100's of times and most find it a childish tactic. Act like an adult.

As for the OP, it will totally depend on who you get in court. Some might wave the fine since you are in compliance and some might still make you pay it.
    ...no wonder I keep getting arrested...
  • rlmiller73190
    Options
    Thanks for all your help! Fingers crossed..
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help! Fingers crossed..
    Did it get dismissed?
  • rlmiller73190
    Options
    No :( I lost. The judge was REALLY on the fence about it, but in the end he found me liable. But, I only had to pay $40 and not $100
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    $40.00 is easy.
    How come everyone is moving down here to Florida?
  • rlmiller73190
    Options
    I'm moving to FL for grad school and for the job prospects (I have a BS in Marine Biology)