How often should I weigh myself?

Options
So I just started getting healthy! :) last time i weighed myself was Monday, should I weigh everyday or every week on MOnday? I dont want to get discouraged if its no or little loss but I need to see what is/isn't working right? I have no clue!

Replies

• ciderface
    ciderface Posts: 8
    Options
    hiya,
    this was a question I came on here to ask.

I wondered if anyone had a sneaky mid week weigh in??

Ive been advised by friends who arent trying to loose weight to only weigh weekly or every other week.
    I know for myself that I want to see those scales move
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh in every Saturday morning. I try to avoid my scale every other day of the week ESPECIALLY at the end of the day. I always have a two to three pound difference from morning to night and if I step on that scale, I pretty much want to hurl myself in to a vat of cheetos.

I recommend once a week, same day and same time of day.
  • MsVJP
    MsVJP Posts: 11
    Options
    I think this is strictly personal choice. I weigh every morning at the same time. If there is an issue, I want to head it off at the pass, not after a week or two of doing something wrong. Conversely, if something is working great, I want to keep doing it.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. Occasionally I weigh in the middle of the week.

I personally think that daily is too much. There are too many variables that can affect a daily weigh in.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I love data so I weigh myself every morning. Of course it fluctuates up and down each day but I'm just looking for a downward trend. Honestly once a week is just fine.
  • TeenaJay
    TeenaJay Posts: 3
    Options
    It's a personal choice.
    I weigh myself everyday and track it with a spreadsheet.
    It fluctuates day-by-day but overall it goes down.

Keeps me in track.
  • skinnybabe123
    skinnybabe123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh my selfevery thursday as thats my weigh in day. I would recommending do that as long as you don't get de motivated by not loosing a week. For me scale has been the devil and there have been weeks when i did not loose. But now i am at a point where i dont get discouraged if i did not loose. So do what suits you. weekly monthly but make sure its a lifestyle change. Weight loss is a hard and slow process.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily first thing (well, after my morning bathroom break) with the understanding that my weight will vary daily based on things I can control (the quantity and quality of food I ate the previous day and the amount of exercise I performed) and things I cannot (water retention due to an awesome workout, the amount of ex-food still remaining in my colon, and the foibles of my cheap bathroom scale). I look at the trend, not the daily number.

I find it keeps me responsible every single day. If I weighed in once a week, then weigh-in day might turn into "cheat day" and/or I might do something stupid to manipulate my weight just before weigh-in day. This has been self-destructive to me in the past, so I know I'm prone to it.

If you can't handle such variances on a daily basis and don't need the daily reinforcement, weigh in weekly or even monthly.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You should weigh urself 1st thing in the morning. Never weigh urself after a workout because ur body retains water after u workout. Ur scale will say u weigh more then u really do if u do it at that time.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every second week. Keeps things exciting! I'm super stoked for tomorrow's weight in (my second one).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Wednesday and that's the only number I write down or track. But I also weigh in any day that I feel like I need to check in. Sometimes this is three or four times a week and sometimes it's just once a week, but the Wednesday weight is the only one that counts for me.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice.
    I weigh myself everyday and track it with a spreadsheet.
    It fluctuates day-by-day but overall it goes down.

Keeps me in track.

I do the same
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Weekly. But now and then I hear my scale crying out so I step on it midweek ( but only if I know I have been especially good ).
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you weigh daily, you'll likely see lots of variation but not necessarily movement. Over time you will. But if you do it daily, it will explainwhy a weekly number doesn't seem to go anywhere from week to week. like a poll, a dailiy reading kinda reveals the margin of error.

I generally go week to week, as others have recommended. Same time, same day, same scale, same clothing (or lack thereof).
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Never, just take pictures and compare every month. The scale can be very frustrating.