Working out when not feeling 100%

Options
I was really going full speed ahead with my exercise for a month, feeling really good and losing a few pounds when..WHAMMO..I got sick. I have stayed away from the gym now for 3 days because I have had a slight fever and body aches. Today I feel alittle better, not my best, but am wondering if I should rest or head back to the gym? I was on such a roll~ I am afraid I will lose my motivation if I stay away much longer from working out.......

Replies

• thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would take a long walk. Just to be moving. & You could probably use the fresh air.
    Then if you are up to it, go back tomorrow.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    defo rest! had the same issue myself 3months back. I was that ill working out would of killed me, listen to your body
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    fever - NO EXERCISE!
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Rest!!
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Rest! I've had bronchitis for weeks- worked out the whole time and now have pneumonia.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd do some stretching, take a hot bath, and hydrate.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Your body is fighting an illness, working out will just add pressure and exhaust your body. Wait until you feel alot better for a full workout.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you have a fever, you should be in bed. Not exercising.

If you can get up and walk around, a brisk walk might be good to get fresh air into your lungs and keep your body alert, but letting your body recover from illness is more important than exercising. You can pick it back up when you feel up to it and you won't be any worse off.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe go sit out in the sun for a while to get some fresh air, but you have a fever - don't exercise.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    YoungerNextYear59937 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You should rest until you're feeling up to it. You may want to do some light workouts at home, or take a walk. If you go back to the gym before your body is ready, you may end up even sicker than you are now and have to give up the gym for even longer. Not only that, buy the other gym dandies won't appreciate your germs being spread around.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Always listen to your body, if you don't you will get worse and be out even longer. I say rest up, if you feel like you want to take a light walk that might be ok. BUT if you have a fever definitely rest.
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Rest! I've had bronchitis for weeks- worked out the whole time and now have pneumonia.

I agree 100%. I had bronchitis for 4 months straight.. UGGH.. I didn't go to the gym, I couldn't do it, no energy & I couldn't breathe. I was on an inhaler for those months as well. I took time off & hated it. But pushing too hard when you are sick will not have a good end result. Listen to your body! I no more than got better and was doing JM 30 DS.. got 10 days in and I hurt my knee so I haven't been doing anything since then. I am luckily still dropping some weight, SLOWLY.. by diet alone. I will be going to the gym today tho for the 1st time and I am excited to go back... after this long of a break it is SO hard to go back =( so a few days won't be too hard on you i'm sure =)

Def take your time and don't push too hard.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have a sinus infection, and my doctor encouraged me to keep exercising. He said as long as it doesn't go into the chest, exercise is fine. That's all good, but a headache, sore throat, and lethargy don't really make you feel like sweating your butt off.
  • fun65
    fun65 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Overwhelming response....rest! I really appreciate it! I will take your advice:smile: !