good weather, time for yard work

Options
Well, now that the good weather is here I've been working in my yard getting it cleaned up. Which is great because now there is all kinds of new things to add to the exercise list. I have seemed to run into a bit of a dilemma though. Today I sacked up all the leaves that I raked last week and decided to dig out a garden (didn't have a rototiller) , all of this came to about six hours of work which equaled 3,160 calories burned. How in god's green earth do I eat back those calories? I seem to be having a lot of days like that now that the weather is beautiful ( I go biking with my nieces and walk everywhere I go) . I do know that I should stop and snack, but I'm the type of person that once I start something I don't like to stop until I'm finished (which means I might have missed lunch and two snacks). If I stop, my enthusiasm for what I'm doing seems to dry up and I have to drag my butt back to finish. I also have a VERY small appetite, I have been having trouble getting beyond 1100 calories lately. My doctor and nutritionist are aware of this, but so far aren't concerned, I do know at some point they will be. Any one have any suggestions? Since I've been following the diet the nutritionist put me on and the medication the doctor prescribed I've finally been able to lose some weight and I don't want to screw it up.

Replies

• littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well, now that the good weather is here I've been working in my yard getting it cleaned up. Which is great because now there is all kinds of new things to add to the exercise list. I have seemed to run into a bit of a dilemma though. Today I sacked up all the leaves that I raked last week and decided to dig out a garden (didn't have a rototiller) , all of this came to about six hours of work which equaled 3,160 calories burned. How in god's green earth do I eat back those calories? I seem to be having a lot of days like that now that the weather is beautiful ( I go biking with my nieces and walk everywhere I go) . I do know that I should stop and snack, but I'm the type of person that once I start something I don't like to stop until I'm finished (which means I might have missed lunch and two snacks). If I stop, my enthusiasm for what I'm doing seems to dry up and I have to drag my butt back to finish. I also have a VERY small appetite, I have been having trouble getting beyond 1100 calories lately. My doctor and nutritionist are aware of this, but so far aren't concerned, I do know at some point they will be. Any one have any suggestions? Since I've been following the diet the nutritionist put me on and the medication the doctor prescribed I've finally been able to lose some weight and I don't want to screw it up.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the yard work and gardening. But I have no choice but to stop and replenish or my sugar will go to low. As it gets warmer perhaps a smoothie which I have heard others mention for some calories and perhaps a protein drink. The best thing is to stop and eat for that half hour or hour and not run your health down. From what I understand you will be loosing muscle and storing fat the way you are doing.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Oh man I feel yea. I have been getting my garden started and mowing and cleaning up from winter, flowers, the whole nine yards. I love it, but I am tired.....