eggs whole Vs. whites

Options
2»

Replies

• Hollsjazzy
    Hollsjazzy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do the same. There is so much cholesterol in the yolks! =( Sad to say I miss them but if you already have high cholesterol then your doing it the right way! =) Less cals also!
  • LilJenn510
    LilJenn510 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just read a great article in Runners World about this:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-300--14245-0,00.html
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. I like them but having the egg yolks with the whites makes it easier to digest and you need it for Biotin.

also here is just one link for you on the many other benefits:

it is actually the most nutritious part. It contains 100 percent of the essential fatty acids, carotenoids and vitamins A, E, D and K that are present in the egg. More than 90 percent of the vitamins B6 and B12, calcium, phosphorous, iron, zinc, folate, thiamin and panthotenic acid in an egg are also found in the yolk. The yolk also has two antioxidants, which are lutein and zeaxanthin.

The egg white contains a high amount of protein, but its protein is less potent without the yolk. The yolk can make the protein’s amino acid profile more balanced, so that it will become more bio-available. Although egg yolks are high in cholesterol and fat, they do not increase risks of hypertension and heart diseases if they are consumed in moderation, preferably one a day. Fats that are found in egg yolks are mostly unsaturated fats, and they are beneficial to your health. Yolks contain oleic and linoleic acids, which can make cholesterol and fat less bio-available in the intestines. Furthermore, there are a number of nutrients in egg yolks that can reduce cholesterol, and these include vitamin B6 and folic acid.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/egg-yolk-vs-egg-whites-what-you-should-be-eating-for-breakfast/
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    Whole eggs, Enjoy your food. ENJOY
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat 10 eggs in one sitting, so I usually separate the whites from the yolks on most (8 or so), and then have a few eggs with yolks. People think I'm a little weird.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole boiled eggs for breakfast almost every morning. With hot sauce. Yum.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i eat only the white but it is because i don't like the yolk flavor and i use eggs mostly as a binder for massive amounts of vegetables as a weekend breakfast food.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I :heart: eggs!! the whole egg, yum yum yum. I only use egg whites if a recipe calls for it.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I do the same thing that you do because the yolk is so calorie dense, I feel fuller if I eat 3 whites in addition to the 1 full egg, vs. eating several whole eggs which makes your calorie intake add up A LOT. The whites do contain tons of protein which is good for building muscle and satiating your appetite
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Over the course of the day, I usually limit myself to 3 whole eggs. However, for breakfast, I generally eat one whole egg with a bunch of egg whites (from the carton) for volume. It fills me up, is tasty, and doesn't leave me over my fat limit at the end of the day.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Umm, what exactly is wrong with dietary fat and cholesterol?
    Of course you need some dietary fat but I since I have 3 whole eggs nearly every day I switch to just whites after that point. I don't want my calories from fat to get out of balance. My cholesterol level is fine but some people might need to keep this in check. Eggs just have a bad rep for that I guess.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Umm, what exactly is wrong with dietary fat and cholesterol?
    Of course you need some dietary fat but I since I have 3 whole eggs nearly every day I switch to just whites after that point. I don't want my calories from fat to get out of balance. My cholesterol level is fine but some people might need to keep this in check. Eggs just have a bad rep for that I guess.

I like the way you replied. Your reasons for eating fewer whole eggs are good ones (regarding caloric intake and macro nutrient balance). It's also good that you're eating whole eggs as well. Nicely done!

As far as cholesterol, there's some interesting discussion regarding dietary cholesterol, and serum cholesterol in the 'worst food myth you've ever heard' thread. The cholesterol in whole eggs has actually been found to lower 'bad' serum cholesterol levels.

I really wish they would force medical doctors to use progressive continuing education, rather than allowing them to simply relearn what they already learned, and have it count for their CE credits. Perhaps then...things like the absolutely useless BMI chart, and whole eggs having a 'bad rep'...would disappear into history where they should be.

:)