How many Vegetarians/Vegans on here

Options
So the more I learn about Vegetarianism/Veganism the more I think its the way to go. Although I'm not willing to commit to 100% right now I can definitely do 90% vegetarian. I watched Forks Over Knives again yesterday and the more I find out about how meat/animal products just aren't good for us the less appealing they are. I also read an article in this months Runners World about a Vegan long distance athlete. How many of you are Vegetarian/Vegan? have you always been? What are your reasons?

Replies

• halliemarie86
    halliemarie86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for almost 5 years. I read the book "Skinny *****" and after reading the part about animals and how they are treated I was a vegetarian that very day. I also have seen more then my fare share of PETA videos. I strongly believe that since I have stopped eating meat, fish included my health has gotten much better. In the last 5 years I think I have gotten a cold maybe twice and I work with the public so before I was constantly getting sick. Hope this helped a little. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree that the more I find out about meat products, the less I want to eat them--but that's mainly because of the way things are commercially produced and factory farmed in today's day and age. All the animals are not treated well and the meats are injected with additives (like pink slime!) and so forth. To me, I think eating meat is fine (as we were always omnivores and omnivores exist in the natural world)..that's just the way it is--but I prefer to get it organic and local and stuff like that because I know it's raised the right way.

I consider myself mostly vegetarian, I don't eat red meat, fish, or pork. I do eat poultry, but probably only about 1-2 times a week. I don't drink regular milk (prefer soy), but I do eat dairy products (i love ice cream and yogurt!). I believe that some of them, like cows milk, really aren't good for you because honestly, we're not meant to drink cows milk--only our mothers milk! Obviously beef and pork are sort of unhealthy because they're fatty, but I think eating them in moderation is ok, like the Mediterranean style diet. Americans eat too much meat for sure. It is tough to get your protein without it..but with greek yogurts, boca burgers, and protein bars, I manage to get a decently good amount.
  • simonek91
    simonek91 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been pescatarian (meaning the only meat I'll eat is fish and even that is a rarity) since November 2011 and I'm so happy I took the plunge! I didn't notice a significant weight-loss, but my skin is clearer, my hair is shinier, I have more energy, and my blood pressure/cholesterol has gone way down. I personally also think my taste buds have changed and I certainly have a greater appreciation for the individual flavors of fruits and vegetables.

I decided to drop meat like chicken, pork, and red meat because my family has a very serious history of pancreatic cancer, diabetes, high cholesterol and other nasty diseases. In November, I did a 5K in memorial of my grandfather who has passed away from pancreatic cancer and I made the choice that same weekend. Cutting meat out of your diet can definitely help you maintain a healthier lifestyle as long as you find alternative sources of protein (for me, that's nuts and LOTS of beans). Since you've seen Forks over Knives, you also know that you can continue to build wonderful, lean muscle even without eating meat.

I would suggest you try it out for a week or two and see how you feel afterwards. Even if it winds up not being your thing, maybe you can simply reduce the amount of meat or animal products in your diet.