Advice on lowering calories for desk job

Options
Hello, everyone. Yay, I got a new job at a resort. I am switching from a full time cashiering position to a full time desk job. The cashiering position requires me to be on my feet all day and when I am not ringing up a customer, I am on the floor cleaning. My new job will have me at a desk the entire time.

I think I am at a point in my weight loss where I probably should be lowering my calories anyway. I have steadily lost about a pound per week by trying to net around 1900 calories a day. I also try to eat at least some, if not all of my exercise calories. Many times I am way over or under, but at the end of the week, I average this amount of calories.

So I am wondering what you guys think would be a good amount of calories to cut from my day so I can keep losing a pound a week with my new sedentary job. I will still be exercising and trying to eat my exercise calories.

Replies

• garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    MFP will calculate this for you, just change your activity level to sedentary.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Yep, and also, try your best to find times during the day to get up and MOVE ... whether that means taking a break, or doing squats and lunges in the bathroom, to walking around the office, whatever it takes. Watch your posture constantly. Fidget. Find ways to stay moving, your body will thank you for it.

Warning - too much sitting (OR standing) can result in nasty blue veins in your leg which you have to go get pricey injections to fix. Make sure you make up for your sedentary job by getting plenty of exercise, staying hydrated, and taking supplements including a multivitamin and fish oil daily.

Adjust calories and then give it about 6 weeks, then re-evaluate from there. Sometimes you have to raise/lower your calories and find a good spot where you're losing weight at a healthy rate, or maintaining. There will be some fluctuations here or there, just roll with it, eat right, and move.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't have mfp set my calorie limit though. I already have it set to sedentary. I think mfp originally gave me 1400 calories to lose a pound a week, but I think that's a bit too much of a cut.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and multiply by 1.2 (That's for sedentary)

That will give you your maintenance level. Deduct 250-500 calories per day to lose .5 to 1lb per week.