Calories burned golfing but riding in cart?

Options
Does anyone know about how many calories you would burn golfing, but riding in the cart. MFP claims over 1200 calories and I really don't think that could be correct. Maybe I should cut that in half. Any ideas?

Replies

• BGLASGAL
    BGLASGAL Posts: 1
    Options
    The units are not given when you enter your info so you don't know if they are asking for holes, minutes or hours. I agree with you that the 1200 number is bogus. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will respond as I had the same question.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Try this. Of course, you can only enter the minutes you actually spent "golfing" and not the entire time you were out on the course. :smile:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know about how many calories you would burn golfing, but riding in the cart. MFP claims over 1200 calories and I really don't think that could be correct. Maybe I should cut that in half. Any ideas?

It is highly likely that it would be 300 calories per hour IF you walked everywhere. If you were riding in the cart, the amount of calories you are now burning is minimal.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know I have read on mulitple sites that walking with a pull cart burns 800-1200 per 9 holes. I don't have a HRM but I put my phone in the bag with the GPS on and the bag travels about 3 miles, without taking swinging and walking to and from the bag into consideration. I estimate at 800 and figure it may be a bit lower.

http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm - this site says ~400 per 9 riding (and a bit under the 800 I've seen other places for walking with a push cart).
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many cocktails I have while carting around?
  • jagger27
    jagger27 Posts: 79
    Options
    Depends on how many cocktails I have while carting around?

right!!! :) that's what I was thinking too!!!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I do golf and do use a cart--last round was 150 min and 760 calories. Middle of the road course. It has varied from around 650 to 900 (really hard course--lots of swings--lots of bad words)
    This is from my HRM--after subtracting BMR
  • ntanner15
    ntanner15 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just played 9 holes (about 100 mins) with zero wait time while riding a cart. MFP says I burned 700 calories; I'm was skeptical as well. However, I checked an exercise calculator on another site and it said I burned 788 in the same time. My levels are going to be higher because of my weight (265) but I seem to lose a couple pounds the next morning, do I can't argue.
  • stuckinsecond
    Options
    I have the same issues regarding other exercises too (mowing lawns, gardening are big burns compared to circut training, ect). I think in general, unless you know for sure the data is indeed correct, your better off low balling it.
  • iowasports
    iowasports Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's one study on it ... says you burn about 400 calories per 9 holes riding a cart.
    http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Your in a cart and walking back and forth.. not very many. Not enough to count.
  • lazra79
    lazra79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that of some other people on here. I have been having the same issue in calculating and I estimate I am actually golfing about 30 -45 minutes out of the 120 minutes I am out there so I would input the actual amount of time spent hitting the ball and walking etc....I do the same with bowling. :)
  • sradams1
    sradams1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I play 9 holes in a league every Thursday in the summer. I don't even count my cals. Becasue i figure i am drinking them right back. Its not really exercise for me, just fun!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: bump
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Depnds how many 12 oz curls you've done while riding in said golf cart.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Maybe 50-100 an hour. The problem here is most of you are including BMR in the calculations. Sorry but you're not burning anywhere near that much.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I burn about 1,700 calories riding a cart and 2,100 calories walking. My Fitbit clocks me walking the course at about 8.5 miles which might be a little off since me walking around the green doesn't really cover the same ground as my walking down a fairway or between holes. Endomondo has my same course at 7 mile walk. It is for a 5 hour round and works out to 340 calories per hour riding and 420 calories walking which is about right (slightly more than my slow walking rate). I feared they were too high for a long while but I've check many sources and they all come up about the same. I also eat back most of my exercise calories and continued to lose weight even though I logged several rounds of golf a week over the last year.
  • Clschuler
    Clschuler Posts: 11
    Options
    I know I get over 10,000 steps when I golf, however, I am left handed and playing on the opposite side of the fairway from the cart usually. LOL.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem with leisure activity studies is that the numbers look like more than they are because they are spread out over a long period of time and they don't take into account what you do the rest of the day.

I've seen all the studies and all the numbers--all I can say is that when I was at my heaviest, I played golf at least once a week from March through December and I never lost an ounce. And that's walking 18 holes and playing faster than most people do in a cart. And I'm sure some people have lost weight playing golf, but I have never met anyone who has. In fact I only started losing weight when I stopped golfing and starting using that free time to do some real exercise again.

During the season when most people play, 18 holes can take up to 5 hours. On a cart, I doubt the actual physical movement is much more than a person would spend watching the US Open on TV and getting up to go to the bathroom and get a snack every now and then.

If someone is playing and walking 18 holes 4-5 times a week, that might be a different story. But IMO, someone who plays occasionally--2-3 times a month--is fooling themselves is they think they are doing anything substantial.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My guess would be not that many, and too difficult to come up with a good guess, so I wouldn't count it, just consider it bonus. Not meaning that you can eat more than normal on a golf day, just eat the same and know you probably burned a little more than a normal day.

Of course this is coming from a person who refuses to own a car. I walk everywhere and can't imagine taking a car to the grocery store, so the idea of using a car during sport is completely foreign to me.