Recommendations for scales that measure body fat

Options
Hi anyone recommend any good scales that measure body fat and aren't really expensive? I'm in the UK btw.. Thanks!!

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what may be available in the UK. I bought mine at Walmart, it was the best one they carry and was around fifty dollars American.

One thing to keep in mind is that the body fat measurement on those scales isn't all that accurate. They work by sending a mild electrical current up through your feet and measure the impedance. They really are only measuring the lower part of your body and aren't giving a true reading of total body fat, just an estimation. Still, nice to have.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have any advice?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Save your money - they are a waste of it
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    Common theme occurring here.. i need some new scales anyway..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that the body fat measurement on those scales isn't all that accurate. They work by sending a mild electrical current up through your feet and measure the impedance. They really are only measuring the lower part of your body and aren't giving a true reading of total body fat, just an estimation. Still, nice to have.

Plus...remember that the results that it displays can be influenced by such things as hydration.

There are just too many variables. Caliphers are much better. Really, hydrostatic body fat measurement is the best, but to be honest, I don't even know of where you can get it done, and it's probably pretty expensive. If I were you, I'd use that money to buy new clothes :)

exermom
  • ddoster
    ddoster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings WiFI scale, I have also had a BodPod Test done and the results were only 1.5% different.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    They're a waste of money. It's better to buy a good basic scale (such as the Eatsmart precision pro).
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options

Plus...remember that the results that it displays can be influenced by such things as hydration.

There are just too many variables. Caliphers are much better. Really, hydrostatic body fat measurement is the best, but to be honest, I don't even know of where you can get it done, and it's probably pretty expensive. If I were you, I'd use that money to buy new clothes :)

exermom

Yea.. I work out my body fat by taking measurements just wondering if there was an easier way.. i don't mind it being slightly out like DDOSTER says just another thing to check if i'm nearer my goal when i jump on the scales in the mornings..
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm also shopping for a scale, that measures water, body fat and lean muscle mass. I know some people don't like them but A LOT of people use them and love them, I'll be watching for answers..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    [
    [/quote]

Yea.. I work out my body fat by taking measurements just wondering if there was an easier way.. i don't mind it being slightly out like DDOSTER says just another thing to check if i'm nearer my goal when i jump on the scales in the mornings..
    [/quote]

My son got me an Accu-Measure to measure my bf from Amazon. I think it was only something like $10.

I'd invest in that before I'd invest in a scale that tells you your bf

exermom
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Healthometer ...this one I am using is tempered glass. It show BMI, Fat %, water, how many cals you should be eating to get to your ideal weight and how much time it will take. In US- $40
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The scales are a cool idea but aren't accurate or useful. The skin-fold calipers can be useful but you really have to know what you're doing. Otherwise you get useless junk numbers.
  • Royaltvii
    Options
    Healthometer ...this one I am using is tempered glass. It show BMI, Fat %, water, how many cals you should be eating to get to your ideal weight and how much time it will take. In US- $40

I got mine at Walmart..do they have Walmarts in UK?
  • Royaltvii
    Options
    I think my BMI on the scale has been very accurate...not sure of the water percentage though, and fat% is pretty accurate. I like it!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    my recommendation is to do calipers instead. My scale one is awful, as is my boyfriends, in terms of how much hydration level matters and how it says stupid stuff like me being at 28% body fat (I get 22% by calipers, and since 30% is obese, I refuse to believe I'm actually close to obese).
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money!!!
    Get a PROFESSIONAL to do a skinfold caliper test. It takes training to be able to get the caliper test right, and even then, that isn't 100% either, but it's far better than a scale that is incapable of measuring body fat, let alone water %. Think about it people!!
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks:)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita scale that I like. The BF% reading is more accurate later in the day when I am more hydrated (it goes down about 4%). It is very close to other tests I have done. What is most important, though, is seeing the progression, so as long as you measure at the same time of day, then you will know if you are improving.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita scale and I only use it to measure progression, not the absolute number.

I had a bodpod (like hydrostatic method....just no water) done at a local univesity and it was 4% points higher than my scale....(I was pretty disappointed).
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita scale and I only use it to measure progression, not the absolute number.

I had a bodpod (like hydrostatic method....just no water) done at a local univesity and it was 4% points higher than my scale....(I was pretty disappointed).

I have eat smart or something like that, and it has put me at 25% for like the last 15 pounds. That is, when is isn't going up. It is terribly inconsistent and it honestly can't be used to measure progress for me because it is so all over the place (or 25)