Mayo Clinic Diet

Options
Someone told me about the Mayo Clinic Diet. It sounds low carb like Atkins, but not quite as low. I've been doing Atkins for 7 months and it's working great. My weight loss has slowed down some, but was thinking about doing this for 12 days and see how it goes. I think it will be easy to go back to Atkins after giving this a try. This diet is to restrictive, I wouldn't be able to stick to it long term, but could try to do this for a while. Other than the Grapefruit juice, this is close to what I eat each day anyway.

12 days on – 2 days off
Breakfast
1/2 Grapefruit or 4 oz. Grapefruit Juice (unsweetened)
2 Eggs (any style)
2 Slices Bacon
Lunch
Meat (any style, any amount)
Salad (any kind of dressing)
Dinner
Meat (any style, any amount) (fish may be substituted for meat)
Vegetables (any green, yellow, or red vegetables cooked in butter or any seasoning)
Bed Time Snack
1 glass tomato juice or 1 glass Skim milk
Vegetables Allowed
Red onions, green onions, bell peppers, radishes, cucumbers, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, peas.
Vegetables to Avoid
White onions, potatoes, celery.
Find other high protein meal ideas here.
Instructions
1. At any meal you may eat until you are full – until you can’t eat any more.
2. Don’t eliminate anything from the diet, especially don’t skip bacon at breakfast or omit salads. It is the combination of foods that burn fat.
3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
4. Cut down on caffeine – it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to limit to 1 cup per meal at mealtime.
5. Don’t eat between meals. If you eat the combination of food suggested you will not be hungry.
6. Note that the diet completely eliminates sugar and starches, which are lipids and form fat. Fat doesn’t form fat; it helps burn it. You can fry food in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.
7. Do not eat desserts, bread, and white vegetables or sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salad, or vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed. The more you eat of the proper combination of food, the more you lose.

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There is a real Mayo Clinic diet created by the respected Mayo Clinic. The diet you've outline below is not that diet. In case you wanted to learn more about the real diet, you can check out this article: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-mayo-clinic-diet
  • mamaolden
    mamaolden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever bought the book and follow the real mayo clinic diet? if so, did it work???:heart:
  • therfc
    therfc Posts: 11
    Options
    I have borrowed the book, The Mayo Clinic diet, from my local library and hope to start it in June, to avoid any difficulties with the memorial day holiday. In the meantime I was thinking about starting a group on this message broad to find out if there are any others interested in the guidelines outline in the book, since the site already helps with the documentation of food and workouts.
  • SteppinSteppin
    SteppinSteppin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Mayo Clinc Diet from the book with their name. Used it before. Basically, a calorie count with healthy habits of exercising and "reshaping your life with science based habits" I'm down 15 pounds in about 35 days.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited May 28
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    There is a real Mayo Clinic diet created by the respected Mayo Clinic. The diet you've outline below is not that diet. In case you wanted to learn more about the real diet, you can check out this article: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-mayo-clinic-diet

I looked because I have a curious nature. It definitely has all the buzz words and phrases that everyone likes. Changing to a whole foods diet and changing our lifelong bad habits to ensure better health. I like olive oil and goat cheese so I would probably go in the direction of the Mediterranean diet, but then again I like that region as well, especially the pizza and Cacio e Pepe. Just having fun. :#