Help, health gurus!

Options
Can somebody please look at my diary & tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I haven't lost in three months ... not a pound! I just started dieting & exercising three months ago.

:sad:

Replies

• Shandril
    Shandril Posts: 36
    Options
    Anybody?

I have Hashimoto's disease, but am on 100 m Synthroid daily ... dr says levels are OK.
  • Shandril
    Options
    :huh:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Uhhm! Well, I'm not really able to help since I think thyroid issues are the devil, but I do know you don't eat very much. Plenty of days in the last month you haven't gone over 800 cals. :(

Gotta bump it up unless you're under the care of a physician for your ultra-low-calorie-diet. :)
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just from rolling back a few days I can see that you don't eat enough. Not eating enough will actually cause your body to hold onto the calories you do eat. Your body has to have calories in order to do it's day to day things. Try bumping your food intake up to around 1400 calories a day and eating more times a day. It will speed up your bodies metabolism and make it run faster.

Just some suggestions
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just from rolling back a few days I can see that you don't eat enough. Not eating enough will actually cause your body to hold onto the calories you do eat. Your body has to have calories in order to do it's day to day things. Try bumping your food intake up to around 1400 calories a day and eating more times a day. It will speed up your bodies metabolism and make it run faster.

Just some suggestions

Eating more times a day to "boost" metabolism is a myth. Meal frequency has no impact on weight loss.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Your calories are far far too low. Your body is in starvation mode.

Up your calories to a BARE MINIMUM of 1200....but more likely 1400. Make sure you are eating protein and "good" fat as well as carbs. Try to eat whole foods...such as fresh vegs and fruit, lean meat and fish. Add a tablespoon of flax oil or fish oil to your daily supplements.

Thyroid issues can be exacerbated by gluten. Try to reduce the amount of processed grains you eat.

See a naturopath for assistance with the thyroid issues.
  • Shandril
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :heart:

I think I'll try eating more - that seems to make sense. I was struggling not knowing what else I could possibly cut out, when actually it sounds like that may have been hurting.
  • tony2009
    Options
    Hm, it seems to have affected me to be honest. Maybe it's just me but I really do seem to have more energy. Anyways, it does help with controlling your portions and such at least.
  • tony2009
    Options

Just some suggestions

Eating more times a day to "boost" metabolism is a myth. Meal frequency has no impact on weight loss.

So eating 1800 calories for breakfast should hold me over for the whole day?!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Whoa. Your diary shows a very low amount of calories (I went back looking at May). I don't know how you are getting through your day, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed on those amounts. :ohwell:

For me personally I look at it as fuelling your body so you can get through everything you need to do in a day (work, exercise, social life etc etc). There were many days where you were below 1000 calories, I am not a 'health guru' but I know that a LCD has many negative effects when done for long periods of time. Even MFP will give you a message recommending you eat more when you close out your diary and it is below 1200.

Below are just a few posts that I quickly found in the forums, but if you did a search you could find loads more. I realize that going from an average of 1000 calories up to 2000 calories might not be the thing for you, bit I urge you to consider eating more, do some research and learn about the positive effects it can have. There are many people on MFP who still lose weight but do not undereat to achieve that.

I sincerely hope you find something that works for you and I wish you peace and contentment in your future. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586570-eating-more-to-lose-weight?hl=eat+more+to+lose&page=1#posts-8371698

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day?hl=eating+more+than+2000+calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595927-eat-more-weigh-less?hl=eat+more#posts-8527555
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd try to eat to your calorie allowance, you are generally eating extremely small calories total per day - body can shut down and hold onto what's it's got if you don't feed it enough - there are lots of thoughts on what the best thing to do is, but really do think you want to increase what you are consuming, try to balance the calories across the day, some good protein and more water and that should help you.

Add me if you want a friend to support you :happy: warn you in advance about my sense of humour!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Just some suggestions

The point is - if you stay within your calorie target, 1800 calories irrespective of WHEN you eat, will have the same impact. There are indirect impacts which vary individual by individual of how HOW MUCH they eat. For example, some people feel more satiated eating often, and some do not like to eat for a few hours after waking up, some folks like to eat just before going to bed and others do not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not very familiar with Hashimoto's disease but from what I know (or at least think I know!) your metabolism will be slower than average. However, it will not be so slow that you should not be able to lose weight eating significantly more. I am usually not a low-carb fan, but I understand that some people with thyroid problems can do better on a lower (not no) carb diet. MFP sets pretty high default targets for carbs and low for fats and protein. You may want to change your settings to 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein and see how that works. [As well as eating more].
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Since there is an underlying medical issue you might want to speak with your Doctor.

But IMO - you are just not eating enough!
  • Shandril
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks to all of you ... there are several very sensible suggestions here that I'll try.

Thanks! (I love this site)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Just some suggestions

Yes. That's actually how human beings ate until about 200 years ago. Once a day, once every other day, it's natural, and perfectly healthy. Eating less often actually boosts metabolism over 24 hours.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    ARe you exercising? If not, that really helps!
  • Shandril
    Options
    Yep, do an hour at the gym 5X a week. Mostly nautalis (SP?) and elliptical. Cardio min of 20 mins w/ heart rate @ 140.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Just some suggestions

Yes. That's actually how human beings ate until about 200 years ago. Once a day, once every other day, it's natural, and perfectly healthy. Eating less often actually boosts metabolism over 24 hours.
    Which study shows this?