NROLFW!!--Anyone do it WITHOUT a gym?

Options
I have a free gym at work...but it only has hand weights...no barbells or pull up bar. I hate to fork over $$ when I have this free option and it's right down the hallway (I can go over lunch).

Tell me it's possible........

Replies

• kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    it's possible!

I workout at home with just dumbbells. Yea, I have to make some modifications but it still seems to be working. The book tell you all about it. Good luck!
  • cycosomatic
    cycosomatic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it all at home. There is a trail right down the road from me that I do laps on, and inside the house when its raining. I have a weight set that a friend gave me and between those 2 I have been dropping weight.
  • lookatmenow85
    lookatmenow85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get a work out video. You can either buy one or search over the internet for them. Most women's magazines have some work out plan on their website. All you have to do is register. I personally do p90x work outs. I bought in on ebay for cheap.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    NROLFW actually gives you at-home versions. If you have dumbells, you can do it. And, btw, it's sooooo awesome!
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you buying "womens health big book of exercises" its all strenth training. Each section discusses each major muscle group-abs, glutes, biceps, tricps, back, and shoulders-and it shows variations with dumbbells to get same results. It also has a section with different workout plans already mapped out for you. good luck!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    I go outside (95% on trails) and run. ;-)
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    She is not talking about exercising without a "gym" she wants to know if you can follow the weight lifting guidlines in the NROLFW book without the use of a gym.....

I would say yes, most exercises can be adapted to do with dumbells at home.... and you can google moves that use the same muscles to change up exercises if you don't have the equipment
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What do you sub for lat pull downs and cable rows if you don't have a cable?

That's where I get hung up (I don't have the book but have thought about it). Right now I use the Women's Health book mentioned above but am thinking of what to do next when I'm done with the workout.
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    She is not talking about exercising without a "gym" she wants to know if you can follow the weight lifting guidlines in the NROLFW book without the use of a gym.....

I would say yes, most exercises can be adapted to do with dumbells at home.... and you can google moves that use the same muscles to change up exercises if you don't have the equipment

Ah okay. I wasn't familiar with the acronym. Thanks.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What is NROLFW?
  • tabinmaine
    Options

That's where I get hung up (I don't have the book but have thought about it). Right now I use the Women's Health book mentioned above but am thinking of what to do next when I'm done with the workout.

Probably dumbell lat pullovers or rows .....these exercises will target the same muscles the cable exercises do.....
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    What is NROLFW?

New Rules of Lifting For Women.... it's a book
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can do it at home with the recommended modifications from the book. I do it.
    My father-in-law gave me his old barbell and weights (lucky, lucky!), and we already had a few dumbbells here. So far I've only had to go buy a yoga ball for $20, but I think I'll invest in adjustable dumbbells soon. Still cheaper than going to the gym, and it fits my schedule better.

I use two dining room chairs pulled together in place of a bench. I do the step-ups on our stairs. I use dumbbells or barbell for the rowing, and dumbbells for the pull-down mod. (I'm only in workout 1 still.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing... I wanted to get the book but all I have are dumbbells. I'm not buying the book though I've decided to do this:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd think that you'd be able to start without a gym, but might run into a ceiling on the weights.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Doing it all at home with just minor modifications so far. Good Luck :smile:
  • keggen
    keggen Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do it. Only on stage one, but I have quickly hit the need for heavier weights.
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options

You can do a standing row with free weights for the row. And bent over rows with free weights for the lat pull down (the move is like trying to start a lawn mower). You can look on youtube and probably get a better idea of how the moves are done.
  • raebradshaw
    raebradshaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 47 lbs and not once went to a gym!! I bought a $10 workout video at Walmart and dumbells, did that for a while. Now that it is nice outside I go ride my bike. I have also found a Zumba class that I love (not in a gym and no membership).
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

Probably dumbell lat pullovers or rows .....these exercises will target the same muscles the cable exercises do.....

I'll google those two moves, thanks. I also having that same problem.