Willpower?

Options
Hi, how can you build up willpower to not eat junk food and sweets? I'm feeling hopeless and I'm losing motivation :(. I have been feeling REALLY self conscious lately... I want to wear a bikini this summer but I don't think I'm thin enough to pull it off... HELP!!!

Replies

• kik1keedle
    kik1keedle Posts: 5
    Options
    I exercise. Or if I'm about to mindlessly eat, I'll drink water or pop a stick of sugar free gum. I also enter my food into the tracker BEFORE I eat it! Seeing the numbers helps me stay on track before I go overboard.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have to go to bed and call it a day or I'll just keep eating. That haveing been said, goodnight!
  • Monwilli
    Monwilli Posts: 24
    Options
    You just have to keep asking yourself if it's something you're going to regret eating later. If you even have to ask that question before you eat something, chances are it's not worth it. That and keep healthy alternatives in the house instead of junk food. It's going to take awhile, but don't give up!
  • firedad
    firedad Posts: 59
    Options
    I look at my self in the mirror and think about when I could run ten miles and do a hundred push ups without breaking a sweat. Then I call myself a fat *kitten* and slap the food out of my hands.
  • xqueenbee24x
    xqueenbee24x Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead can make a world of difference, but for some people (including myself) it does not always deter me from maintaining good snacking habits. I don't know about your household but in my family, everyone else likes to eat chips and sweets. It was recommended to me to have all of these foods kept in one place ( the same cabinet) so you know that is a "no go zone." This helped me the first time I tried dieting, and hopefully it can help you too. If not prepare mini carrots or other fruits and veggies so that when you get the cravings you go for those instead!!! Also drink lots of water, I know everyone says it bit it really does fill you up!!!
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking that...having already spent my alotted calories for the day, I could totally hit the fridge! Better hit the sack instead!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat them. If candy is your weakness, get it out of the house. If you want pop, stop buying it. Just don't. If you go a while without having sugar, you WILL stop craving it. When you feel the sweet tooth coming on, drink a glass of water and eat some protein, like a hard-boiled egg or some tuna or some chicken breast. Whatever you have around. It helps.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You don't. You figure out what will work and in what quantities and allow yourself that. Whether it is a serving of frozen grapes (which are delicious, but take awhile to eat--which is the point) or a one serving brownie that you make in a cup for 95 calories, you figure out what you will allow youself to have and enjoy every moment of it. I find that once I start replacing my full blown sweets with suitable substitutes, that I stop craving the full blown ones as much. Things like strawberries and other treats like that start replacing full sugar choices. You can do it, stick with it, BUT let your body and your mind have a reward...just figure out one that will work within the plan you are trying to stick to. Good luck. I struggle myself with willpower as I am somewhat of a compulsive eater, but I'm turning my compulsiveness onto logging my food!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a bunch of German goodies at my desk (mom came home from Germany last night) and I have the Willpower to stop from eatting them..

Nearly. I really want it!

That being said, I tell myself no and remember that my diet and losing weight is more important then the food I want to eat.

Have you tried hearble tea? That may help you too.
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    In the first place you have to really want to lose weight, you have to be completely truthful to yourself about why you are doing this.
    The fact that you are on MFP suggests you are willing to make this long commitment, but I believe the process is not about losing weight.

I believe the real process is about finding and making ourselves healthy. With being healthy weight will naturally drop down to a level that the body can sustain.

Remove bad food from your home, out of sight out of mind. Eat options that are better for you, pieces of fruit, nuts and trail mix.
    It's not easy to make these changes, but be strong and think about what your life is going to be when you are healthier and slimmer. Then I think you will look back and say "why did I not do this sooner".

Everyone on MFP will support you, keep asking for help whenever you need it.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I look at my self in the mirror and think about when I could run ten miles and do a hundred push ups without breaking a sweat. Then I call myself a fat *kitten* and slap the food out of my hands.

:laugh: excellent motivation!
  • ImDetermined2Lose
    ImDetermined2Lose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how badly I want to be fit this summer. If that doesn't work I go to bed and read a book.
  • SKIPPER
    SKIPPER Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit with a little dollop of whipped cream or an apple with peanut butter