What if you OVER eat your protein daily goal?

Options
Jewels_Ka
Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
So here i am making dues with my Daily Calory goal - doing well BUT! I am always in the red for Protein! How does that impact my overall success? Why does 5oz of chicken breast contains 44g protein - what is up with that? I cant eat grass all the time. I need some protein with my diet, i dont care if its fish, shake, or meat...
HELP! I want to know how this impacts my weight loss. How does this program calculates nutritional value needed? I am 5'11" - 6'. I need more protein.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. Unless you have kidney or other health issues that would require you to limit your protein that is the BEST macro to go over on. It will satisfy you longer and protein helps build muscle.

Just up your protein (my Dr. recommends women at 80 and men at 120 grams) and cut your carbs. I have been doing it for just starting 7 months and lost almost 90 lbs. My loss isn't typical but I feel great and have no complaints (other than I really want a donut some days).
  • Jewels_Ka
    Options
    lol...I really want a donut most of the days...Thanks so much, thought i was crazy! I am always over the set limit.
  • TRae90
    TRae90 Posts: 2
    Options
    I sometimes have 130 gm too much? I eat a lot of greek yogurt, eggs, chicken and sometimes protein powder after workouts.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep your calories down your fine. I go over my protein all the time.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you are using hte MFP defaults and you go over your protein -- you're doing something right.

The defaults are way off .. I changed mine to 40% proten, 30% carb, 30% fat
  • Jewels_Ka
    Options
    If you are using hte MFP defaults and you go over your protein -- you're doing something right.

I was trying to do that and could not find where to...
    How do you know what percentage should be your protein?
  • Jewels_Ka
    Options
    Thanks so much for your encouragement - good to know i was not going crazy about the amount of protein i eat....
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options

I was trying to do that and could not find where to...
    How do you know what percentage should be your protein?

It's under the food tab, then settings, then goals. and just hit change goals and you can adjust it there.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options

This is what I did as well.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    No problem. Protein is good for you.

But you must watch your CARBS - that's key to fat loss.
  • mruszaj
    mruszaj Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I asked my personal trainer about this. He says you want to eat your bodyweight in protein but in grams. I'm 116 so I try to eat 116g of protein a day. My trainer suggests a high protein, moderate carb, and low fat diet. And I'm not trying to gain weight, I'm trying to tone up and lose weight, and he says that is the way to go.

So good for you for eating more protein!! :)

So far I went from 121 to 116 lbs.
    27 inch waist to 25.9,
    21.5 inch thighs to 20.9.
    21% body fat to 19% !!!!

Good luck!
  • Jewels_Ka
    Options
    Hi,

I asked my personal trainer about this. He says you want to eat your bodyweight in protein but in grams. I'm 116 so I try to eat 116g of protein a day. My trainer suggests a high protein, moderate carb, and low fat diet. And I'm not trying to gain weight, I'm trying to tone up and lose weight, and he says that is the way to go.

So good for you for eating more protein!! :)

So far I went from 121 to 116 lbs.
    27 inch waist to 25.9,
    21.5 inch thighs to 20.9.
    21% body fat to 19% !!!!

Good luck!

wow, congratulations on your success! That is awsome!

To ALL: thank you for advice I will definately up my protein with confidence now!
    mcknz121 - THanks for guidence! JUST CHANGED IT :)