Never thought that this would be my struggle!

Options
Being a food lover all my life, I am dumbfounded by what I am about to post. I honestly can't wrap my head around it lol. :noway: I am having a very difficult time hitting 1,200 calories a day. I get to about 1,000 or 1,100 and I feel physically nauseated. I mean I truly feel FULL before hitting 1,000 a day, and have to choke food down to get to just over that. I find myself trying to find things that are healthy that I can incorporate into my diet that will add calories and I am getting really discouraged. I assure you all, I am NOT trying to starve myself. I genuinely am having issues with this and need some advice! I don't want to be under 1,200 calories and then set my body into starvation mode. :mad: Is anyone else having this issue? What do I do to help with this? Am I just an oddity? LOL, please HELP!!!! :sad:

Replies

• MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Go for items that are high calories with healthy fat such at nuts and avocados. They really pump up the calories. Protein shakes are another option to up calories as well as provide nutrients.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm sure several people will say the same thing. It's really easier to offer input if your diary is visible.

Without looking I was suggest adding calorie dense foods. Nuts. Granola, Avocado, etc.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think this is felt by a lot of people. i have felt that way, i figured it was due to a supplement i was taking but i can tell you this, exercising suppresses my appetite! and then the less i eat, the less and less i want. i think part of it is a head game we play on ourselves and the other is a body with all kinds of hormones being released as fat cells shrink. it shocks us. i do think this will normalize. stay on top of eating the fuel your body needs, though. or it will run out of energy...
    shari
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Avocados. Nuts and/or peanut butter? Cooking with olive or canola oil.

Okay, others were faster, so mine are repeats.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Try adding in healthy calorie-dense foods. Nuts, avocados, cheese, etc.
    Or you could just have a jello pudding cup or a soda or something like that. It's not unhealthy to have these things in moderation. :D
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Larger portions of proteins - chicken and fish
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    If u are actually not hungry, DO NOT EAT!!! Ur body knows best, listen to it! :) Dint eat just cause u think u have to! Ur going to have plenty of days where u can't stop eating! So take advantage, sometimes our bodies don't need very much at all!
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Haagen Daz chocolate chocolate chip. :drinker: Seriously. When you have a lot of calories left over, eat something you love. Those cals will go quickly lol.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If u are actually not hungry, DO NOT EAT!!! Ur body knows best, listen to it! :) Dint eat just cause u think u have to! Ur going to have plenty of days where u can't stop eating! So take advantage, sometimes our bodies don't need very much at all!

Nooo! Bad advice!
    Eating less makes you less hungry. There are also a bunch of other things that can kill your appetite.
    Your hunger level does NOT change how much your body actually needs.
    I've eaten only 600 calories in a day and not been hungry, but I was not fueling my body properly at that point. I didn't magically need less fuel just because I wasn't as hungry.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are you no carbing it? Plan out your day so you know what is 1200 calories. Make sure you are putting everything in including the oils you cook with etc. Throw in an extra ounce or two of lean protein. Add a carb to one meal out of the day. There are even 100 calorie almond snack packs out there. Greek yogurt is great... either adding things to the plain or some of the fruit flavors. Good source of protein and fat free. I eat it once a day.

Front load the calories.... make your breakfast or lunch a little bigger since it's difficult at night. Add in another snack.

lots of ways to get 100-200 extra calories without it really being bad for you.
  • Sayne
    Sayne Posts: 23
    Options
    Make sure you aren't suffering from digestive problems. I've been eating like 10 grapes or 1 slice of whole grain toast and feeling like I've consumed 2 christmas dinners. So full and then bloated (trouble getting to 600 cals a day). Doc reckons I may have a parasite but is also checking appendix, cysts and some other stuff which can cause loss of appetite.
  • SoulSistaSarah
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! No, I do not low carb it. I take everything in moderation. Low carbing made me feel like poo, and so I just eat healthy carbs and stay away from the junk! Sometimes I will allow myself to have a splurge, however I honestly find that anymore I truly do not want the bad for me foods. My taste buds are definitely changing I guess lol. I find that if I eat something naughty, I feel horrible afterwards. No, I don't mean psychologically, I mean physically. Like, really really awful! :grumble:

I have some good protein powder downstairs, I need to use that. I keep forgetting that I have it. :blushing:
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My appetite is seriously stimulated by weight lifting. Nothing too hard core- just strength training- sit ups push ups, things like that.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Silk chocolate milk helps me add calories..and its soooo good!!!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Rather than stressing on a daily basis, look at your calories on a weekly basis. The day after lifting, I'm starving, so I often go over in calories, but the day of lifting I don't seem to require as much. Each day is different. Looking at it on a weekly basis really helps. As long as you average out over a 7-day period, it should be all good.
    Also, raw coconut is a great way to add some calories, sprinkle on cereal, oatmeal or just eat it the way it is.
  • Xefyria
    Xefyria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    And remember, it's not necessarily about getting all those calories or whatnot into a few meals only. Depending on what diet you are following, it's a good idea to keep a small box of nuts or similar healthy snacks with you through the day.

That way, you get the eating spread out over the day, your metabolism stays working, and you won't feel stuffed after every meal just because you try to get a certain amount of X (ex. calories) into it. :)
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    There was a time for about 2 months that I would get nauseous just looking at food.

I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Once the meds leveled me out I was fine.

Is this a possibility?
  • SoulSistaSarah
    Options
    My thyroid is actually borderline low. Looking at my protein powder, it will bulk up my calories by 130 calories per serving so that will help immensely. I can add it to my morning milk, and probably add in an afternoon or evening milk with protein powder and hit about 1300 calories which is even better. My body burns more fat at around 1400 calories a day, I've noticed. I swim about two hours per day, every day, and most people say swimming bumps up their appetite, but with me it does the total opposite! And I am not following any particular diet because I don't do the fads based on the fact that it isn't really a realistic life long plan. I just eat well balanced and stay within my limits on here each day.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I genuinely wasn't getting hungry on 1200 cals a day. Instead of staying low I took the opposite approach and increased my calories to 1500 and started making myself eat something small every 3 hours. I actually have an appetite now, and I feel soooo much better :) I eat clean mostly, whole foods but i also use protein supplements. I also tke fish oil and liquid collagen for heart and joint health, skin etc.... Those two supplements add about 150 calories to my day and my skin looks awesome so maybe consider that as well ? Otherwise nuts, nut butters, whole grain bread, avocados, yogurt, cottage cheese and extra ounces of meat or beans are all good choices.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options

Nooo! Bad advice!
    Eating less makes you less hungry. There are also a bunch of other things that can kill your appetite.
    Your hunger level does NOT change how much your body actually needs.
    I've eaten only 600 calories in a day and not been hungry, but I was not fueling my body properly at that point. I didn't magically need less fuel just because I wasn't as hungry.

But she has an over eating problem lol! Sometimes in the beginning of weight loss, or at certain point ur body is using up fat and other access off ur body. U shouldn't ever eat if ur not hungry, ur bodies obviously telling u something then! Trust me, she will have lots of days that will be quite the opposite of this! Lol

Edit*** u should make sure to eat 1000 calories at the least though! If ur not hungry after that, don't worry about it! As long as its not lasting 1-2 months straight, everyday lol, which I doubt it will, just listen to ur body. Don't force feed urself. It would be quite opposite if u were anorexic or had more serious problems like that.