Which protein powder do you like and why?

Options
CynthiasChoice
CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
I've been struggling with the decision of whether or not to add protein powder to my (vegan or not?) diet. I just discovered a protein powder that has just three organic ingredients: Hemp, E3Live and Maca. It's made in Canada by Ruth's Goodness. It has 120 calories, 14 grams of protein, 9 carbs, plus fiber and lots of minerals. Hemp for the protein, E3Live for the green superfood, and Maca to help regulate hormone levels. E3Live is from a blue-green algae that is said to have many beneficial effects, including increased energy and decreased workout recovery time, and also slows your appetite:love:

When I got it home, I realized I didn't have any juice or coconut milk, and I was feeling too lazy to juice, so I mixed half a serving into a last night's homemade vegetable soup. That was a mistake!! I ate it anyway, but it was like taking medicine. I have to say that, 1/2 hour later, I have no interest in food of any kind, even though it's lunchtime and my calorie total is only 360 today. (not necessarily good - I know, I know!)

I'll post back about the taste when I add it to a fruit smoothie, and keep those interested informed about my experience with trying food that doesn't look like it grew in the ground!!

Replies

• istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    im good with the Body Fortress brand that you can get at Wal-Mart, tasty and a vairety of flavors and very filling and works great post-workout or any other time. I also like the Cytosport brand you can get at Costco, both are whey protein. Jay Robb's Egg White protein powder is delicious but pretty pricey for me.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    im good with the Body Fortress brand that you can get at Wal-Mart, tasty and a vairety of flavors and very filling and works great post-workout or any other time. I also like the Cytosport brand you can get at Costco, both are whey protein. Jay Robb's Egg White protein powder is delicious but pretty pricey for me.

Also a Body Fortress user. It's reasonably priced at about $7.50/lb, seems to have sufficient protein (and correspondingly low on sugar & fat).
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I absolutley LOVE herbal life Cookies and Cream protein powder. Its really creamy and tastes delicious
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    BSc Hydroxyburn Pro is great- it's high in protein, low in carbs, and is often used as a weight loss supplement as well as a protein supplement. You can get it pretty cheap online, or otherwise check out Coles or somewhere?!?
    (And the taste is fantastic!!)
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's Egg White protein powder is delicious but pretty pricey for me.
    You can get 500mL- 950mL of egg whites for <$10 at your local supermarket store...........?!?
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lean Body by Labrada - no sugar, lactose-free, low cab, low fat (maybe even fat-free?), 40g protein, awesome vitamin/mineral profile, and tastes AWESOME. Love love love Labrada!!

Aslo, www.eggwhitesinternational.com - I buy their gallon tubs and just drink the egg white in milk with a bit of sugar-free chocolate syrup. Easy, clean protein shake! delicious!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Im a bit of a protein snob. I prefer to buy 100% pure whey isolate -- not concentrates or blends.
    I look for little to no carbs, sugar, fat and high protein. I also look for no artifical sweeteners and when I can get it, gluten free and low lactose ---- so that rules out a lot :)

The ones I buy that fit those stats:
    About Time
    Integrated Supplements
    LifeTime Fitness (their own brand)
    Tera's Whey
    Jay Robb WHEY (chocolate, pina colada)

Others I love just for the flavor that aren't TOO bad :)
    CLICK ( if you like coffee this is a must - i add 1/2 scoop with a good protein powder just for taste)
    Syntrax Essence Chocolate
    Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle

This gets asked a lot so this is just something I wrote to give you some ideas.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissMaryMac33/view/protein-shakes-what-to-look-for-125776
    Body Fortress (Walmart)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I just started using my husbands and surprisingly it's actually good. It's Met-Rx Ultimate Whey; Peanut Butter Cup. It's pretty lean to at 110 cals, 2g fat, 2 carbs and 22 g protein per scoop. It's good with both milk or water.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

Create your own custom blend.

I like chocolate, unsweetened (I'm not vegan so my blend includes egg & milk proteins)
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used isoflex peanut butter chocolate for awhile. It was really really good, but really really really expensive. So now until next paycheck I am on body fortress. It's not bad.
  • wenwic
    wenwic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Whole Food's 365 Whey Protein Powder (vanilla). It's only 80 calories, doesn't have added sugar or other fillers. It's just protein, which is all I want. I blend it with a cup of unsweeted vanilla almond milk for a 120 calorie fix.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

Create your own custom blend.

I like chocolate, unsweetened (I'm not vegan so my blend includes egg & milk proteins)

This is one of my favorites as well --- I had no idea they changed their name since I ordered last thought!
    It used to be TrueProtein.com --- and now it redirects. I always order heavy flavoring though becase I think they are a bit lacking in flavor if you don't. They also sell samples ---- so try it first.
  • scoobydoomomma
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress from Walmart also! love the cookies and cream.
    Herba life has a fantastic cookies and cream also and you can use theirs to make a pudding pie that is low in carbs and high in protein. it was really fantastic!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I like and use Body by Vi. It tastes and smells like cake batter. It's soy based, gluten-free, low in sugar and is risk free. I've used other shakes but they were either gritty, didn't taste very good, or I was restricted to flavors. I can make by Vi-Shake taste however I like.

If you'd like, I can send you a sample. :-)
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    Im a bit of a protein snob. I prefer to buy 100% pure whey isolate -- not concentrates or blends.
    I look for little to no carbs, sugar, fat and high protein. I also look for no artifical sweeteners and when I can get it, gluten free and low lactose ---- so that rules out a lot :)

The ones I buy that fit those stats:
    About Time
    Integrated Supplements
    LifeTime Fitness (their own brand)
    Tera's Whey
    Jay Robb WHEY (chocolate, pina colada)

Others I love just for the flavor that aren't TOO bad :)
    CLICK ( if you like coffee this is a must - i add 1/2 scoop with a good protein powder just for taste)
    Syntrax Essence Chocolate
    Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle

This gets asked a lot so this is just something I wrote to give you some ideas.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissMaryMac33/view/protein-shakes-what-to-look-for-125776
    Body Fortress (Walmart)

I agree, I do NOT buy the cheap stuff. A portion of it won't get absorbed, will make you bloat or give you cramps, or tastes just plain terrible. I love syntrax myself and mix it with water. For smoothies I put a little dash of cold water and then frozen fruit. Delish!
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    Shakeology chocolate is my fave because its super chocolaty and doesn't remotely taste like vitamins. :)
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My personal favourite is Myofusion and that's mainly because of the flavour. Isoflex is alright but it wasn't as thick as Myo, which was a turn off for me. I won't consume any whey that has ion-exchanged proteins in it, so anything microfiltered and up is game for me.
    I agree, I do NOT buy the cheap stuff. A portion of it won't get absorbed, will make you bloat or give you cramps, or tastes just plain terrible. I love syntrax myself and mix it with water. For smoothies I put a little dash of cold water and then frozen fruit. Delish!

You can still buy GREAT cheap stuff. I take LeanFit whey and it's probably one of the cheapest (and one of the highest in terms of grams of protein per dollar) and the quality is pretty legit on it as well.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas, great suggestions and helpful information.

I tried the Ruth's Goodness Hemp/E3Live/Maca powder again today mixed with 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 a banana and 1/2 cup blueberries. I was great! No grit or off-putting flavor came through.

It came to
    235 calories
    9 gr. protein
    6 gr. fat
    33 gr. carb
    20 gr sugar
    8 gr fiber

I'm not totally happy with these numbers. The 9 grams protein is sufficient for me, but I'll try reducing the recipe - if I still get a good flavor, I may be a protein powder convert.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like Dymatize Nutrition Elite Gourmet Protein - Milk Chocolate

125 calories
    21g protein
    6g carbs
    0g sugar

I mix a scoop of this with black coffee and shake with ice for a mocha protein drink in the mornings. It's delicious and usually holds me until lunch (I used to just drink coffee, so this is an improvement for breakfast)