Exercising with Fibromyalgia

Options
I am 22 and a few months ago was diagnosed (3 times) with Fibromyalgia. It causes me to have pretty bad body pain every day. I am trying to avoid being on medicine for the rest of my life and have read that many people manage it with exercise. Trouble is, it's a catch-22. I can relieve my pain my exercise, but at first it will increase my pain and it can get pretty hard to deal with anyway so that is discouraging. I know I need to be more active for my health and for my weight loss goals.

Does anyone else have this condition? Have you managed it with exercise?

Replies

• GwenRN50
    GwenRN50 Posts: 11
    Options
    I do not have this but have meet people who exercise by swimming & by stretching in a warm water pool. That relieves pain. I hope that is possible for you? Does increasing your fluid intake help relieve muscle pain? you may want to talk w/ your healthcare provider about vitamin & mineral supplements.
  • Tondra2
    Tondra2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a nondescriptive connective tissue disorder and have a hard time working out because of pain. I have a treadmill in my basement and have been put on restrictions of deep water aerobics only. Bad thing is the gym does not fit into my work schedule. I was diagnosed back in dec and march decided I was sick of the pain and gave up animal products. My pain is diminishing and I've been able to walk run a ml twice in the last two weeks. I know what your going through. I use to do walking races and now no longer can. I'm working on getting my self better so I can do a 10 miler in sept. if you want you can add me as a friend and we can support each other. What meds are you on?? Do you have fatigue??
  • happydays2525
    happydays2525 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 54 and have had fibromyalgia for many years. It is very important that you say active, even doing a short walk or riding a bike will help. Until I lost my 21 lbs I had a lot of trouble walking very far and I can not walk for about a half hour. I have a bike and I find it is sometimes easier to ride than to walk. I also have a gazelle and use this when i can't walk or ride my bike. I also do crunches very low, easy 10 min set. Do you find that you get very tired and need a lot of sleep. Just keep moving any way that you can every bit helps. Invite me as a friend if you want.:flowerforyou:
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have had fibromyalgia a long time and I have just sort of learned to live with it. I was in my early 20's also when I was diagnosed. Only you can determine what kind of exercise and the amount you can tolerate but being in the water is very good and I don't lift heavy weights. I don't work my arms out much because that's my problem area anyways but if I do, I like the bands and use more resistance training with them. I find heat helps. Go buy a cheap rice 'bed buddy" from Walgreens and heat it up in the microwave and that really helps me out. Walking is good too, that doesn't bother me. Hope this helps.
  • TurtleCrush
    TurtleCrush Posts: 80
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 9 years ago. I have to say overall I hurt more when I don't exercise. I live with pain everyday but with an hour of exercise and 8 minutes of stretching it really prevents me from being in more pain. When I hurt so bad and even the exercise doesn't relieve it I like to use my professional massager Thumper. It helps so much with my back, feet and thigh pain. I also love taking a hot bath with Epsom salt and take a natural anti-inflammatory for pain (Optimal Acute by Optimal Health systems). These things combined make my life manageable. Add me if you like :)!
    Best of luck, Big hugs,
    Rebekah
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone! It's nice to see I am not alone. I have found that walking helps but anything more intense makes my pain so much worse for the next couple days. Stretching would probably be really great. Maybe I should try Yoga? Fatigue is a big problem too, especially with finding the motivation to exercise.

I'm not on any medicine right now. I'm trying to avoid them altogether, which my doctor doesn't seem too on board with. That's a good idea, I should see what other alternatives she can come up with.
  • fortheheart
    fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year at 30 years old. I have had insane aches and pains forever but my doctors blamed my obesity. I took Tylenol and IB Profen but nothing helped. I would only ache more.
    When I moved I found a new doctor. After a blood test she said I had rheumatism and sent me to an Arthritis doctor. I went through all the tests and he kept saying 'Fibromyalgia'.
    I have never felt young. I always felt old, and heavy. Like my arms were hanging on the ground. Like a slug. Everything hurt. I had a herniated disc. I was so used to it that it began to feel normal to ache all the time.
    Three months ago I joined MFP. I found a recumbent bike and it's worked wonders. I think because it's easier on my back and hips . It's in a low sitting position. I don't ache as much when I do it. Water aerobics is great for the pain. But if you don't have a pool, I'd get a recumbent bike.
  • aquapussy
    aquapussy Posts: 112
    Options
    Try to stick with low impact exercises.
    Cycling can be great. Some tips for cycling with pain: consider a recumbent bicycle. They are much more ergonomic. You can also buy "crank" or "step" forward bikes that are far easier on the wrists and allow for flat footed stopping, Electra http://www.electrabike.com/Technical/electra-bike-flat-foot-technology brand is one example ( a bit over priced though in my opinion) or the Fuji Saratoga http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/saratoga-102. Very comfy bikes with a good gear range. If you do get into biking make sure you get your bike set up correctly (saddle height, gear range etc).

Swimming of course is good, not my personal thing but many people enjoy it.

The good old elliptical machine is an easy way to get low impact at the gym.

Remember, no matter who you are or what you have, you should start any exercise regime SLOWLY. Everyone feels pain after a serious workout, but you can diminish effects by starting out with baby steps. Just going for a walk for 10 mins a day is a great beginning. You don't need to push yourself when you first start out. You will progress faster if you let your body adapt to the new exercise.
  • jaygolden
    jaygolden Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had fibromyalgia for almost ten years now. Personally, I think exercise does help relieve the pain. I will say that some days starting my workout routine is difficult. Once I'm started the pain slowly subsides. Sometimes the relief only last for a few hours. Other times the pain starts as soon as the workout is over and my body cools down. Overall with exercise I feel better and have learned to handle the pain better. Along with that my pain levels stay between 3-6 instead of 7-10. I won't lie, I never have a pain free day, but I don't take any medication unless my pain levels are between a 9 or 10. I had to experiment with different exercises to see which exercises work better for me.

Feel free to add me.
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    Try to stick with low impact exercises.
    Cycling can be great. Some tips for cycling with pain: consider a recumbent bicycle. They are much more ergonomic. You can also buy "crank" or "step" forward bikes that are far easier on the wrists and allow for flat footed stopping, Electra http://www.electrabike.com/Technical/electra-bike-flat-foot-technology brand is one example ( a bit over priced though in my opinion) or the Fuji Saratoga http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/saratoga-102. Very comfy bikes with a good gear range. If you do get into biking make sure you get your bike set up correctly (saddle height, gear range etc).

Swimming of course is good, not my personal thing but many people enjoy it.

The good old elliptical machine is an easy way to get low impact at the gym.

Remember, no matter who you are or what you have, you should start any exercise regime SLOWLY. Everyone feels pain after a serious workout, but you can diminish effects by starting out with baby steps. Just going for a walk for 10 mins a day is a great beginning. You don't need to push yourself when you first start out. You will progress faster if you let your body adapt to the new exercise.

That's great info, thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    Hi. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year at 30 years old. I have had insane aches and pains forever but my doctors blamed my obesity. I took Tylenol and IB Profen but nothing helped. I would only ache more.
    When I moved I found a new doctor. After a blood test she said I had rheumatism and sent me to an Arthritis doctor. I went through all the tests and he kept saying 'Fibromyalgia'.
    I have never felt young. I always felt old, and heavy. Like my arms were hanging on the ground. Like a slug. Everything hurt. I had a herniated disc. I was so used to it that it began to feel normal to ache all the time.
    Three months ago I joined MFP. I found a recumbent bike and it's worked wonders. I think because it's easier on my back and hips . It's in a low sitting position. I don't ache as much when I do it. Water aerobics is great for the pain. But if you don't have a pool, I'd get a recumbent bike.

I'm going to have to try the bike. I've been having pain for years and I remember the bike being my favorite thing at the gym. Maybe that's why.
  • Tondra2
    Tondra2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you r having problems with fatigue try juicing. I started juicing about 7 weeks ago and man my energy is up. I also added vit b and flaxseed (to helps ease pain). I found I was missing nutrients that I didn't realize I was. I do 4-5 carrots, either a grapefruit or orange and an apple. Makes a huge difference in how I feel. My dr couldn't help me so I did my own research.
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You've already been given a lot of good advice. Having had fibromyalgia since 1994, the most important thing is to start exercise slowly and build from there. Also try different esercises and see what is best for you...I enjoy walking, stretching and dancing but many other good options have been mentioned. Exercising regularly does help manage fibro in the long run and also aids sleep which is so important with fibro. Some foods also affect folks with fibro, especially corn and refined sugar. Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend who understands living with fibromyalgia :smile: !!
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    If you r having problems with fatigue try juicing. I started juicing about 7 weeks ago and man my energy is up. I also added vit b and flaxseed (to helps ease pain). I found I was missing nutrients that I didn't realize I was. I do 4-5 carrots, either a grapefruit or orange and an apple. Makes a huge difference in how I feel. My dr couldn't help me so I did my own research.

I was actually just now reading up on juicing! Everyone loves it. I can't wait until I can buy a juicer and start.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    I think there is a fibromyalgia group here on MFP. Check it out!

All the best!
  • natalieanderson3
    Options
    with no disrespect for previous posts I respectfully dissagree - do not settle for low imact exercise and watch your weight take over. I have suffered from fibromyalgia for years as well as a few other cronic issues (CFS to mention a related item)
    I started crossfitting (7months now) and switched to a healthier diet (more paleo - like 80%) and have seen my symptoms almost completely dissapear. It didn't happen overnight though, it took time and work - but I am sooo much healthier, not just lighter - but my blood pressure in amazing, my blood sugar rocks now and my chronic issues are all dissapearing overtime.

Don't settle, trust me - there is true relief out there, don't just mask the pain, get rid of it!
  • judkinsjenny
    judkinsjenny Posts: 220
    Options
    You poor thing! I have been hurting since i was just a little kid. My mother (who didnt care about us) always said it was growing pains. Only the pains didnt go away. Over the years it just got worse and worse. I was diagnosed kinda by my dentist as i have severe jaw and teeth pain. So I went just to Health West here in town because I don't have insurance. I figured theyd send me to the looney bin but they were great and knew how to help me. Of course then I got pregnant and was nursing for a year. Ive been trying to get back on my meds but can't seem to get the right balance this time. But I'm closer than i was. We went to Disney Land last week for 5 days and all that walking about killed me. but when i came home and rested a day, i felt great for about 3 days. now im kinda hurting again, but i also have not walked since we got home. guess i better. feel free to add me.
  • Wenzday7777
    Wenzday7777 Posts: 44
    Options
    if you have net flix there is a few yoga videos out there by a couple that do it for people with injuries or have pain issues. They use a chair and other things. They look like 90's dance people but their video is good if you can find it. i have lupus and fibro. you have to keep moving! i to never wanted to be on meds unless i had too. I did last year and that was when i started looking into this weight loss journey as well :)

Good luck and were all here to support each other!
  • Aletea
    Aletea Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, I have fibro too and I'm waiting for my GP referral for a gym membership to come through so I can start exercising. Unfortunately as well as the fibro I have a connective tissue disorder, bad knees, and 2 kids - so my exercising is very limited!!
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm 36 and also have fibromyalgia. I have found Pilates or Yoga to be the best workout, it may seem low impact but trust me, you'll be sweating and so far it's been working for me, I do have the pain as well because my insurance will not cover medications that are "newer" and my doctors refuse to use the older ones that aren't proven to work. I was scheduled for gastric bypass to help get the weight off my joints t get some relief, instead I decided to do this on my own, 2 months in and 24 lbs lighter, I can feel the results, still have about 100 lbs to go, but you can do it!
    Also not sure where you live but with summer coming, the water does wonders for your joints and burns major calories, if you an get to a pool a few times a week, you will see some major pain improvement.
    Feel free to add me if you would like and good luck :)