new to this

Options
hi everyone my name is jessica, i am 20 years old. i have been trying to lose weight the past couple years but every diet and exercise plan i have tried i have failed at. i have been in college and going for medical coding as of right now but eventually want to get into ultrasounds. my friend woke me up a month ago asked how would i be able to be in the medical field and be 40lbs over weight and preach what i'm not doing to patients. so now i am determined to lose some weight and get healthier to feel better about myself and to help others. it is so hard though i live with my family and they are always eating junk food and sitting around watching tv and no matter how hard i try if cookies or chips are laying out in my sight i seem to always eat them and then feel so guilty afterwards that i eat more plus working in a restraunt find myself eating a fry here or there or just craving the food until i give in. sometimes i fell hopeless. and i try to exercise as much as possible but i work nights and walking my road in the dark isn't safe and with my family its not always possible to get the tv to do the wii fit. does anybody have any tips or advise. im looking for supportive friends and friends to get healthier with.

Replies

• RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    Welcome! You are smart to get a handle on your health while you are still young. This site really helps me, just tracking what I have ate and how many calories I should have. Great start! Exercise does matter though, there are still lots of ways to work out. Can you join a gym? If not, walking, or even doing sit ups or other home exercises help!
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm also 20. Were you active before gaining the weight? I'm also trying to lose weight and just be a better me. I feel your pain, girl! You'll get through it!
  • GwenRN50
    GwenRN50 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi! Welcome. I'm new too :) Good for you for having career goals & joining here! It helps to track what you eat. You can have a cookie here & there. Just make sure you're eating 5 fruits/veggies per day, & getting enough fluid. I'd love to be your friend ... we can log on daily & support each other :)
  • sarahball386
    Options
    When I started; I didn't focus on being perfect. For about a week I ate what I normally ate and focused on getting into the habit of logging. But I logged EVERY calorie…. I was eating 2-3 thousand calories a day!!! When I realized that I was taking in enough calories for two people I was disgusted! I started looking for healthy alternatives to all of my favorite foods. Even though you work in a restaurant it doesn’t mean you have to eat there. Pack a lunch or if you do eat there grab a nutrition guide and really know what you’re putting in your body. As far as exercise goes; any extra opportunity you can find for fitness will be beneficial even if you don’t “workout.” Examples: park far away from the door when you go to the store (less traffic and healthier), if you are just grabbing a few things get a hand-held basket instead of a cart, take stairs over elevators, hold more on serving trays to increase arm strength. Also, tell your family that you want them to help you, have an open and honest dialogue about your concerns and ask them to join you. You could even go to Wal-Mart and by a Pedal Exerciser (link below) in the sporting goods section and set it in front of you while watching TV with the family.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cando-Preassembled-Pedal-Exerciser/15171722