lose motivation when I don't see results...

Options
Helllllo, so basically I have been unhappy with myself pretty much my entire life haha, yet have been unable to stick with anything. Ive been on and off MFP for a year now and have never actually seen results because I quit before I do. I don't know what wrong with my motivation, pleaseeeee help. I want to lose 40 pounds but when i don't see the numbers move on the scale it is so disheartening :'(

Replies

• thelandofwin
    Options
    I understand. What I would try is to take multiple measurements with a tape measure. Oftentimes you will show progress there first. That's why people tell you to throw away your scales sometimes. The tape measure will make you feel better and seeing progress pictures. I have a ritual. Once a week, I weigh myself and measure. Once a month I take an "official" measurement and take pictures from different angles. Oftentimes when I didn't "think" I saw any progress, I referred back to the original pictures and I could be happy. This is very powerful.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It works the other way around. You put in the effort day after day. You make it a priority. The results follow from that. Once you see them, you will be inspired to continue.
  • Mershon88
    Mershon88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements and lots of pictures!! When I started my weight loss journey, I was in the same boat as you... kept giving up cause I didnt "see" the difference. One of my pals on MFP told me to ignore my scale for awhile and love my camera and measuring tape. I always hated taking pictures of myself.. but now it's a habit.... and so is my exercising. I keep seeing these pictures and now Im like "dam.. im lookin good. i wonder what 10 more lbs off will look like". And so it goes.... Im down 40+ lbs already... and I cant wait to see my pics for the 50lb mark. Try it out.. ignore the scale for awhile. :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Helllllo, so basically I have been unhappy with myself pretty much my entire life haha, yet have been unable to stick with anything. Ive been on and off MFP for a year now and have never actually seen results because I quit before I do. I don't know what wrong with my motivation, pleaseeeee help. I want to lose 40 pounds but when i don't see the numbers move on the scale it is so disheartening :'(

This is a natural response to anything in life. My challenge to you is to MAKE IT HAPPEN... If those numbers don't drop, do something different. Hey, it is a good thing that you want to see change or give up... But change up the give up part to CHANGING SOMETHING... Find out what makes it happen. We all can lose weight... We just have to find out what our key is and turn the keyhole... Make it happen... Don't give up... If at first you don't succeed try try again.. Just find out what works for you and do it. You can do it. I am confident! Go for it. Make a difference. MAKE IT HAPPEN. Be ruthless about it.
  • arozman2
    arozman2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i hope I can do it :(:(:(
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to look at this a different way - instead of setting a goal like "lose 25 pounds", what about a goal like
    "eat a healthy breakfast every day this week" or " exercise 4 times this week" or "cook one new healthy recipe each week".
    These goals are much more achievable, and you can get to the end of the week and celebrate "I did it, healthy brekky every day!"
    All these small changes will gradually add up to a healthier lifestyle and a healthier you.
  • arozman2
    arozman2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    im just sooo friggin impatient its unreal, i need to stop being like that
  • Pebble321
    Options
    im just sooo friggin impatient its unreal, i need to stop being like that

Yes.
    You do.
    I think of losing weight as being like growing your hair - even if you do everything right it still happens in its own time.
    Just pick some small items to change, do that one at a time and you will see results over time.
  • prernashr
    prernashr Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello there!

I am prerna. of age 37 years. I have been on dieting , means eating roughly 900 calories per day from 22nd April. My original weight was 83 kg I lost 3 kg in first two weeks. I have thyroid also I am taking 100mg Eltroxin daily. But after 2 weeks no wight loss..I am loosing motivation..its 4 weeks now...please please help n guide.

Thanks
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Hello there!

I am prerna. of age 37 years. I have been on dieting , means eating roughly 900 calories per day from 22nd April. My original weight was 83 kg I lost 3 kg in first two weeks. I have thyroid also I am taking 100mg Eltroxin daily. But after 2 weeks no wight loss..I am loosing motivation..its 4 weeks now...please please help n guide.

Thanks

900 cals a day is very low - its hard to get enough good nutrition into your body when you are eating so little.
    Lots of people find better results by setting their goals to a more moderate calorie deficit - you just don't have to starve to lose weight!
  • zannapike
    zannapike Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it because even if your not losing weight on the scales, you are doing wonders for your body eating healthy. I'm the same as you and get annoyed every time I jump on the scales and nothing yet , I have eaten under my calorie's and I put in EVERYTHING even down to a couple of hot chips I pinched off my husband. I have exercised everyday for 45mins, very active, jogging(road), bike, stepper etc. I don't eat back my calories I have earned back from exercise, and yes you guessed it 0.9kg loss in 3 weeks. I have 28kgs to loss so it should just drop off me being larger. But you know what, i have given up on and off for 15 years, losing 30kgs for my wedding(drinking a shake for 3months) and putting it back on within 3 months of being married...mmm yes my poor husband. THIS time though i'm not getting disappointed and giving up as I feel SO healthy, have so much energy and am feeling great. Friends have all commented that I have lost weigh and I am fitting into a smaller size, and my husband cant get over how much more toned I have gotten in such a small amount of time. SO BLOW THE SCALES and if your health is better isn't that a WIN anyway. Stick with it...... All the best :)
  • prernashr
    Options
    Even after eating so less calories I m not able to loose weight what if i begin to eat 1200 calories as recommended by this site to prevent going body into starvation mode...
  • prernashr
    Options
    thanks for motivation..for how long you are eating balanced diet..
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It is hard to stick to it when you don't see the results that you want to, but you have to stick to it.

I had 80 lbs to lose when I started working out the first week in february. In 3 months I only showed a loss of 7 pounds!! I gained and lost the same 2-5 pounds every damn week, but I still kept going. Little changes were taking place--my original workout pants had to be replaced because I couldn't keep them up. The next size was a little snug, but I had to get them. Gradually, they have gotten less snug.

Less than 2 weeks ago, I cut my carbs down to 50 net per day, and the weight has been almost falling off! I lost 4.8 pounds the first week, and started off the second week with another 1.2 pounds gone. I can hardly wait to get to the Y today to weigh in and see how much I have lost in the last 2 days!!
  • prernashr
    Options
    thanks really 50 net carbs is really very tough...